PDA

View Full Version : Surface Material Transition Animation LW 2018

archartsnorth
02-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Hello...

I'd like to be able to change surface colors/materials of an object over time.

I'm sure that LW can do it, but how?

Thanks

Sensei
02-14-2019, 12:20 PM
To change one material to other material you can use Material Mixer. It takes Alpha parameter as input (from e.g. Vertex Maps > Weight map node), or you can use Envelope editor.

BeeVee
02-19-2019, 07:22 AM
If you use the PBSDF material, you can also set envelopes to change the surface properties over time - make your object metallic, plastic, skin or glass, etc.

B

archartsnorth
05-19-2019, 09:20 AM
To all...I'm back and struggling with trying to change an object surface and obviously not getting it. I jumped from LW10 to 2018 so I'm sure I missed a lot.
2018 Lightwave help pages aren't much help. Is there a single tutorial that covers material transitions incorporating the suggestions above?

Sensei
05-19-2019, 09:24 AM
You have to add Material Mixer. It takes two materials as inputs, and opacity.
Material Mixer has Alpha. Double click on node to open settings. Then you see Alpha has E button on the right. It's opening Envelope editor, where you can add keys on timeline.

RebelHill
05-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Yup, as said... click the "E" to add a envelope to give property, colour, metallic,whatever... or use material mixer to blend between materials and animate the alpha value. Setting envelopes for things, and keys in the graph editor is LW 101 stuff, you'll find examples and instructions in the getting started LW vids on the LW3d site, or in the manual under envelopes/graph editor, rather than the sections on surfaces.

For more comprehensive stuff on the surfacing/rendering system in 2018+, see the links in the sig.