PDA

View Full Version : Seeking suggestions for new systyem "Furniture"

Ma3rk
02-13-2019, 11:57 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm about to the pull the trigger on a major new system, and now in the final what iffing stages, somewhat defined by my new, but limited space. Just tonight I pretty much decided on going with two Viewsonic VG2753 monitors and use this mount instead of the traditional stands: https://www.viewsonic.com/us/monitors/shop/monitor-accessories/lcd-dma-002.html

(make sure ya watch the video)

The question now is, what might I actually mount this sucker to? Anyone have suggestions for system "furniture"? Came across some looked really nice modular units, but are 6mm glass/metal, and can't find info if that could take the weight with how it mount attaches. Monitors & mount are 30+ lbs. Also came a cross a page that has gaming system recommends & plan to read further, but thought I'd see what graphics more than gaming folk might have found. Looking to get this going in a few weeks.

BeeVee
02-14-2019, 05:26 AM
I swear by my ancient Ikea Jerker desk, which seats two 23" monitors very nicely. I'm not sure where you'd get one from now, but they are very suitable.

https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144139&d=1550147103

Good luck,

B

RPSchmidt
02-14-2019, 08:22 AM
I'm sure that you probably can't wait, but you may want to consider this https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/01/04/samsungs-clever-new-monitor-frees-up-desk-space-without-a-wall-mount/

If I didn't already have a big beast of a BenQ, I would get two of these. Honestly, I'm hoping they adapt this to their ultra-wide monitors so that I can get the screen space I need without two monitors or one giant largely square monitor.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Ma3rk
02-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys. Will check in on all suggestions.

New space is an upper room and one wall is only 6' high due to roof slope. As such, I don't have the same volume to work with as a regular room would have. Might hire a local carpenter just up the street to make some custom shelves if I can't find what I need premade.

Comforting to see that your work area looks how mine always end up BeeVee.

BeeVee
02-19-2019, 07:31 AM
It is normally tidier, but I couldn't be arsed just for this picture :)

B

Kryslin
02-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Wish I could help with the suggestions...When I needed a new desk, I built my own. Solid oak, 60" wide, 30" High, 30" deep. Did my design in Lightwave, even. :) Then I went out to the workshop and had quite the learning experience. On the upside, it's sturdy - It can easily take 300# on top of it. Downside, it weighs 200#, and had to be brought in in pieces and assembled, with the top being most of the weight.

As a note, the 6mm glass should be able to handle the 30# load from the monitor stand, moreso if it's tempered glass. If you have to clamp onto the steel tubing that makes up the frame, The weak point will be your clamp, not the steel.

Ma3rk
02-21-2019, 09:31 PM
This is what I decided to go with for now. Open enough and easily added to. The weight bearing specs are good too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YNWVKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The room is upper floor w/ sloped roof on the E & W sides. Limited for headroom but works fine for shelving & cabling freeing up the floor.

Already have two CAT6 cables run in from the FIOS router in the Library & Media room across the hall. Really enjoying the new bandwidth & speed to say the least.

BeeVee
02-22-2019, 02:00 AM
Has the guy on the left just banged his head on the sloping roof?

B

Ma3rk
02-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Has the guy on the left just banged his head on the sloping roof?

B

Nah, the west side is taller & I can actually fully stand at the east end but just barely.

Ma3rk
03-07-2019, 05:21 PM
If there's still any interest, here's a progress report:

So, now that I know it's all actually gonna work spatially & logistically, I can finally go find that rather large caliber bullet I've been saving to bite on when I finally order the new system that'll drive these beasts.

The ottoman placement was happy accident it turns out. I simply roll over to the end of the zig-zag & it'll be perfect with a wireless KB & rodent.

Now if I can just find the install CD for Stewie...