PDA

View Full Version : LW Favorites

SBowie
02-13-2019, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking that a little cleanup/re-organization of the LW forums might make it a bit easier to find things. What brought this to mind is noticing that you can easily overlook third-party offerings, specials, and the like, as they tend to be posted rather willy-nilly in various sub-categories. I expect that this, in part, reflects a desire on the part of the person posting to get their info into what seems like a more advantageous traffic area, but this seems to have the reverse effect.

I wonder what others would think about having a small main group named something like "LightWave Favorites", containing maybe the most used and appropriate categories - Community, General Discussions, Third Party ... other? Gallery? If we were to give more prominent billing to a small number of groups, to give your scroll wheel a break - which ones would you like to see in that list? (BTW, not suggesting getting rid of anything, just re-ordering things.)

Edit: This is deliberately not a poll, just in case you were thinking it could be ...

Schwyhart
02-13-2019, 01:37 PM
I think you know what's best and I'll support whatever you decide :)

lertola2
02-13-2019, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of having two groups instead of the four that exist now. Maybe put all the forums that have more than 1,000 posts into the Favorites and hide the rest away in an other category. If I want to make a new thread I most likely want it to go into the General Support forum so that it will be seen by most people who frequent these forums. What would really be nice would be if all 3D related items could be completely separated from the other NewTek forums. And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.

erikals
02-13-2019, 02:12 PM
I like the idea of having two groups instead of the four that exist now. Maybe put all the forums that have more than 1,000 posts into the Favorites and hide the rest away in an other category. If I want to make a new thread I most likely want it to go into the General Support forum so that it will be seen by most people who frequent these forums. What would really be nice would be if all 3D related items could be completely separated from the other NewTek forums. And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.

and there we have it :king:

SBowie
02-13-2019, 02:29 PM
And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.Few things in this world would make me happier, believe me; but it's not my call. I can, however, re-arrange the furniture a bit.

Verlon
02-13-2019, 04:55 PM
There are some forums that probably need to be retired in some way or another.

Tim Parsons
02-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Steve how about bringing thumbnails back in the gallery? People hardly post there anymore - maybe because there is no visibility upfront.

SBowie
02-13-2019, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure I have the ability to do that. I've passed the request back to the IT guys previously when it came up, but nothing happened. I'll try again.

erikals
02-13-2019, 10:12 PM
There are some forums that probably need to be retired in some way or another.
yep.

BeeVee
02-14-2019, 05:35 AM
I never read through the forums "naturally". I just look for what's new and because I don't want video product posts in there, I have a specific search, which is:

https://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=16,279,278,57,18,207,235,130,23,74,51,52,5 3,54,24,25,26,158,182,27,28,276,171,172,173,174,20 8,205,29,31,30,308,206,170&contenttype=vBForum_Post

This works very well in the main, but not so much if I'm wandering through looking for a specific post or thread...

B

RPSchmidt
02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
I never read through the forums "naturally". I just look for what's new and because I don't want video product posts in there, I have a specific search, which is:

https://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=16,279,278,57,18,207,235,130,23,74,51,52,5 3,54,24,25,26,158,182,27,28,276,171,172,173,174,20 8,205,29,31,30,308,206,170&contenttype=vBForum_Post

This works very well in the main, but not so much if I'm wandering through looking for a specific post or thread...

B

That would definitely be a huge advantage; being able to search for new posts only in the forums we are interested in.

Really have zero interest in the video side at all.

BeeVee
02-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Feel free to use that search, it was invented by a LightWaver cleverer than me. I just use it all the time so that when I type "F" in the address bar, it's the first url that comes up and I just have to hit down arrow and return to get there. I also store the address in my favourites, which might help :)

B

MonroePoteet
02-14-2019, 08:29 AM
I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not sure my opinion is relevant, but my preference would be that the naming of the forums make it clear what the content is.

Personally, although I usually follow the wide-ranging and often zealous discussions regarding speculation about LW, where it's going, what it's weaknesses are, etc., that's last on my interest list for LW. I like finding threads which pose a specific problem to be solved, try it myself, and hopefully I'm able to post a helpful response. I use the most recent LW I have with whatever features / capabilities that it has and try my best to "make it work".

For me, it'd be nice if the forums were named such that the type of submissions that are relevant to that forum are clear, perhaps names like: LW_NeedHelpWithEffect, LW_Futures, LW_Defects&Shortcoming, LW_GeneralDiscussion, LW_CoolTechniquesIFound, etc.

Then, if the "umbrella" forum just gave pointers to these with a brief description of the type of threads we'd find in them, I could start with the "NeedHelpWithEffect", move on toward CoolTechniquesIFound, then Defects&Shortcomings (maybe I can propose a solution), then GeneralDiscussion, and finally Futures.

Anyway, as always, just my opinion.

mTp

raymondtrace
02-14-2019, 10:23 AM
I typically only look at the "New Forum Posts" section because there's already so much forum segmentation. This keeps me in good company with the 80% of web users that are not prone to scroll.

A heat map report would be useful to understand how the forum organization could be improved. There are service providers or you can install your own for free. https://www.dugwood.com/clickheat/index.html

prometheus
02-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Some two three years ago, I promted for a clean up and re-organizing of the lightwave related forums, nothing happened ..but sure, never to late.
I can not recall in which thread or category I put those suggestions , will try and check back.

Foremost...start cleaning up before putting new categories in, or restructuring.

I think some things already is removed, we used to have to many galleries sections for various lw versions.
Canīt give direct suggestions right now though...sorry.

Ma3rk
02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Ya, there are just too many catagories. Often haven't a clue as to which is "appropriate" to post in.

I'd also like the option to NOT get Tricaster threads.

lertola2
02-14-2019, 07:29 PM
I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not sure my opinion is relevant, but my preference would be that the naming of the forums make it clear what the content is.

Personally, although I usually follow the wide-ranging and often zealous discussions regarding speculation about LW, where it's going, what it's weaknesses are, etc., that's last on my interest list for LW. I like finding threads which pose a specific problem to be solved, try it myself, and hopefully I'm able to post a helpful response. I use the most recent LW I have with whatever features / capabilities that it has and try my best to "make it work".

For me, it'd be nice if the forums were named such that the type of submissions that are relevant to that forum are clear, perhaps names like: LW_NeedHelpWithEffect, LW_Futures, LW_Defects&Shortcoming, LW_GeneralDiscussion, LW_CoolTechniquesIFound, etc.

Then, if the "umbrella" forum just gave pointers to these with a brief description of the type of threads we'd find in them, I could start with the "NeedHelpWithEffect", move on toward CoolTechniquesIFound, then Defects&Shortcomings (maybe I can propose a solution), then GeneralDiscussion, and finally Futures.

Anyway, as always, just my opinion.

mTp

You are too modest! You are very generous and helpful. Your opinion is very relevant. You have helped me many times! I agree with you that threads that discuss how to solve specific problems are the most interesting on these forums. I find the threads that discuss what Lightwave developers should do to be boring.

gdkeast
02-15-2019, 12:10 AM
I do like the idea of having a category for offers, plug-ins, and 3D-related software specials. Otherwise, you do have to scroll down the list and maybe you see and maybe you don't. One reason I do come here is to try to stay on top of things like that.

SBowie
02-15-2019, 07:25 AM
I do like the idea of having a category for offers, plug-ins, and 3D-related software specials. Otherwise, you do have to scroll down the list and maybe you see and maybe you don't. One reason I do come here is to try to stay on top of things like that.I think it's annoying in a couple of other ways too. Because third-party announcements and discussions are easily missed in the dedicated category, developers and the like will frequently post them in several different places, which must be a pain for them but can also irritate readers who use the "New Posts" button and often find the same announcement repeated three or four times.

MonroePoteet
02-15-2019, 09:03 AM
You are too modest! You are very generous and helpful. Your opinion is very relevant. You have helped me many times! I agree with you that threads that discuss how to solve specific problems are the most interesting on these forums. I find the threads that discuss what Lightwave developers should do to be boring.

Well, thanks! I certainly try to be helpful, and really have fun (usually) trying the LW FX / technique challenges that get posted. Of course, I could be honest and post more entries that say "I beat my head against this for three hours today and failed completely!" :)

mTp

gar26lw
02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
a section for all of gerardstrada posts. most informative stuff on lw on this forum. i think he should have an entire section in the lw manual.

another collating all plugins posted in here like nitsara.

one for 2018 workarounds.

dedicated dpont section, without him there would be no lw.

one for all of sensei stuff

a blender section, it’s mentioned so much. how to use in conjunction with lw.

a modo/maya section for the same, how to use with lw.

3d coat and lw

substance and lw

zbrush and lw

unity and lw

unreal and lw

houdini and lw

tutorials.

SBowie
02-16-2019, 06:07 AM
As these posts are already in various sub-forums, I think they probably would be better handled by a sticky thread in one of the existing categories. There's s thread somewhere already along the lines of 'things ever LWaver should know'. I think that's a useful mechanism, and it can easily be user maintained.

a section for all of gerardstrada posts. most informative stuff on lw on this forum. i think he should have an entire section in the lw manual.

another collating all plugins posted in here like nitsara.

one for 2018 workarounds.

dedicated dpont section, without him there would be no lw.

one for all of sensei stuff

a blender section, it’s mentioned so much. how to use in conjunction with lw.

a modo/maya section for the same, how to use with lw.

3d coat and lw

substance and lw

zbrush and lw

unity and lw

unreal and lw

houdini and lw

tutorials.

ianr
02-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Ya, there are just too many catagories. Often haven't a clue as to which is "appropriate" to post in.

I'd also like the option to NOT get Tricaster threads.

I Agree entirely, gods knows what it looks like to the noobies pushed down the page.?

A simple filter could be used which was LW-centric, which if you dial LightWave Forum on

on the front page then you get LightWave flipped to the top tier + ChronoS & Nevron

with all other Tri-caster,-IPseries,-Newtek NDI,-Media DS,-NDI,-3PLAY,-TalkShow stuff,

underneath..sheesssh.

It's a question of 'Perceived Presentation' here we are dealing with,ain't rocket science!

scallahan1
02-21-2019, 06:54 PM

B

Yes, this is a great way to check new posts. Been doing it since 2014 when I found someone else's thread about it. Sometimes Newtek adds a new product and I have to edit that new forum out of my search. :)

Steve