PDA

View Full Version : FEATURE LIST..what else could be in LW8?

cresshead
01-03-2004, 01:02 PM
what we have seen for the most part over xmas via proton's excellent videos we had already seen up n running at siggraph during the summer of last year...so that really makes me think that there's a stack of stuff we've heard nothing about yet...

i know that newtek had issues with dope sheet bugs but have a feeling we've not seen all that's going to be in lightwave 8 just yet.. i reckon ther'll be some big suprises in there too....

1.output to flash swf files from lightwave [would be a nice parity thing against maya..]
2.joystick support to "capture" the inputs so you can drive an animation in realtime and set down keys like you can in 3dsmax via a joystick, keyboard, mouse or midi device
3.radiosity advancements... a speed boost would be nice.
4.new lights or light capabilities...we have seen that lights look to be a differennt 3d icon in the viewport so they may also have had a n overhaul as well.
5.a linux version that'll be in with the windows and mac versions?
6.ies lights?
7.lipsync automation to some degree
8.new morphing technology..i've heard a rumble already on this though nothing too descriptive as yet.
9.loading 3ds files into layout...[well i needed a number nine in the list!]
10.a walk designer capability for biped characters...or just something very cool would be neat.

also i decided to show the proton lw8 video's to the students today an not one of them commented on the change to the user interface of lightwave 8..i didn't prompt them..but would have thought that as they had previously stated that lightwave had the best looking U.I that i might have had a comment or two on the change...maybe they were just "stunned" by the demo's from proton or could it be that the new U.I is actually okay and not that doom n gloom thread that keeps popping up here n there on the forum!

we'll see.

..okay i'm rambling on too much sorry!:eek:

cresshead
01-03-2004, 01:16 PM
of course i have a number eleven too!

11.recompile lightwave 8 to a apple G5 64bit application...

if that happens...and it should at some point this year then when i see the rendertimes drop off like a stone next to an intel chip i'll be off to get a bit of fruit [apple g5] instead of a windows box for lightwave.

thinking about it and macworld next week....could it be that newtek actually have a 64 bit lightwave 8 up n running and decided that it was best stratergy to delay the release of lightwave until they could unveil the 64 bit G5 version as a NOW shipping product for mac...it certainly would give newtek a great publicity boost for their new 3d app and a great platform to show it runnig would be a side by side render of a intel xeon vs a G5 on the keynote stand next week!!!!!!

it would also catapult APPLE up there in the big 3D arena and not just your typical adobe photoshop actionscript intel vs G5 tests..

Hmmm..interesting.....

am i dreaming here????

i've got a sneeky feeling that it might just be real!

later....

Jockomo
01-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Speaking of feature lists, did they ever post that somewhere? Or are we still in the dark about the final list for 8?

Chris S. (Fez)
01-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I'll type it again. Smartskin. Please Newtek. Is it at least in development? Or are you waiting for a third party to fill in the gap? Hell, it happened with ortho tools and "rec piv rot." Broken for YEARS before the ortho team fixed it. Those guys are geniuses. They give me hope. Orthotools is/was my best Lightwave investment ever after G2.

js33
01-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
of course i have a number eleven too!

11.recompile lightwave 8 to a apple G5 64bit application...

if that happens...and it should at some point this year then when i see the rendertimes drop off like a stone next to an intel chip i'll be off to get a bit of fruit [apple g5] instead of a windows box for lightwave.

thinking about it and macworld next week....could it be that newtek actually have a 64 bit lightwave 8 up n running and decided that it was best stratergy to delay the release of lightwave until they could unveil the 64 bit G5 version as a NOW shipping product for mac...it certainly would give newtek a great publicity boost for their new 3d app and a great platform to show it runnig would be a side by side render of a intel xeon vs a G5 on the keynote stand next week!!!!!!

it would also catapult APPLE up there in the big 3D arena and not just your typical adobe photoshop actionscript intel vs G5 tests..

Hmmm..interesting.....

am i dreaming here????

i've got a sneeky feeling that it might just be real!

later....

Hehehe. I made a reference to the same thing over on the Mac forum. I think it could be true that they were holding out for Macworld to deliver a 64 bit version of Lightwave.

Even though I use LW on the PC I'm still rooting for a 64 bit version for the Mac. The PC has the 64 bit hardware as well and Win 64 isn't far off.

I mean they can do it. Lightwave has supposedly been 64 bit clean for a long time now. Since they are recompiling a new version they may as well do it now.

Cheers,
JS

Tesselator
01-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Jockomo
Speaking of feature lists, did they ever post that somewhere? Or are we still in the dark about the final list for 8?

I wonder what the "trade secrets" factor is in them not
posting the list to a publically accessable BBS like this?

Probably pretty high I would imagine. And I think a
policy like that wouldn't necessarily have an expiration
date kick in where suddenly it's "ok" to post them X
number of days before the actual release.

Of course you know I don't know what I'm talking about
but still something to think about. :D

js33
01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Hi Tess,

I think the time for ultra secrecy has long passed unless there is something surprising about the release. Given what we know about the current state of affairs at NT and the forthcoming release I think it's safe to say that we know pretty much everything that will be in 8 by now anyway.

Cheers,
JS

Ade
01-03-2004, 05:19 PM
I think the linux rnderer idea is dead or will die.
The original programmer who made it left, and we all saw what happened to mac development when the mac guys left..

cresshead
01-03-2004, 05:24 PM
re the linux port of renderer..you maybe right as indeed the prgrammer that created the render node has left..but as we know in "life" everyone can be replaced [..toy story line!] if there's a need...and depending on where newtek feel's the market is heading and how much of their business my go to large outfits needing cheap linux rendernodes...well that will determind if they hire a new chap or put an existing "coder" onto the task or not...

would be nice...we'l have to wait n see.

archiea
01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I think for a truley 64 bit LW, you;d need Mac OS to be 64 bit, and thats like two years away....

As far as features, there's a short list on the preview page...

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw8.php

Though I think the cat's out of the hat as far as features go... I think NT showed us what there is.. ever since siggy, so I doubt there are any really newer features as you have described....

cresshead
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
yeah..i'm just hoping they give a couple of nice surprises!

re:World-class rendering ...would be nice to see some extra stuff in that dept for sure..i little speed up would be nice.

eacide
01-03-2004, 07:42 PM
N-gon subpatch and true edge management in modeler.

stef
01-03-2004, 11:28 PM
AMEN!!!

archiea
01-04-2004, 01:29 AM

re:World-class rendering ...would be nice to see some extra stuff in that dept for sure..i little speed up would be nice.

Then perhaps you should be email the marketing department!!!! :D

CB_3D
01-04-2004, 12:17 PM
While i am always rooting for "more" and "better" i am quite sure we have seen most of it by now.

And to be honest, despite all the discussed issues (interface etc , which are not THAT important for now) this is definitely going to be a "WOW!!!" update.

As to the 64bit, i thought Panther would already be fully 64?!

pixym
01-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Radiosity speed boost and walk designer capability would be very nice for Archi viz...

riki
01-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Renderable Splines with Properties panel to add volume and texture.

WizCraker
01-04-2004, 05:34 PM
what we have seen for the most part over xmas via proton's excellent videos we had already seen up n running at siggraph during the summer of last year...so that really makes me think that there's a stack of stuff we've heard nothing about yet...

Could also be nothing else then what they showed at SIGGRAPH.

cresshead
01-04-2004, 05:41 PM
re:Could also be nothing else then what they showed at SIGGRAPH.

yup that's a real possibility... and one reason i keep on banging on about wanting to see the full feature list of lightwave 8 and not the tentative one that's up at newtek currently.

i'm hoping for a few additions to that list not just a better explanation of each it that's listed there already!

crossed fingers!

Phil
01-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Ade
I think the linux rnderer idea is dead or will die.
The original programmer who made it left, and we all saw what happened to mac development when the mac guys left..

That's unfortunate, but it perhaps explains why there are no 3rd party plugins available for use with it. I had hoped that this was a sign of a port to come, but with the lack of 3rd party support and so on, it's looking pretty hopeless at this point in time. Still, I had the impression that LWSN could be run under Wine which will perhaps be the way to go about it in future. At least we then have the plugin library available for use.

(I still don't understand why the thing wasn't statically compiled - the Intel compiler library dependency is quite tricky to resolve on recent distributions.)

archiea
01-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D

As to the 64bit, i thought Panther would already be fully 64?!

Not even close......

Amadeus0
01-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I want to see AMD64 support, and a Linux version. That would be the best thing for me, and also make me very happy!

sketchyjay
01-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm not really looking at future features just the one important one being shown off

Dope sheat

And some news about this Animatable UVs

So far the only two features mentioned but not shown.

It would be nice to see some of the plugs combined or obsolete ones removed. i.e. bandsaw and bandglue combined into pro. then drop the previous 2. that kind of thing. Also make sure they effect all maps. symmetry compatible would be nice too (knife one side and other is cut too kind of thing)

that's my wish list for the future

Jay

Karmacop
01-04-2004, 11:15 PM
For anyone with high hopes for animatabe uvs, it's not morph maps for uvs or anything complicated. It's giving an envelope to the uv co ords like you would x y and z co ords with a front projection for example. I'm not saying this is bad, it's very handy, but it's not really advanced.