PDA

View Full Version : can't open avi files

marcus_ren
03-08-2003, 11:25 AM
i created a video last year in adobe premier and saved the final movie to a cd in avi format. I'd now like to open that file again in Toaster Edit (or the DDR) and print it to video, but Ted can't open the avi files (I can look at them in Windows Media Player only). I'm guessing all that I need is the correct codec to read the files... does anyone know where I can find it and what it's called?

thanx

marc

Faraz
03-08-2003, 11:32 AM
The AVI file format can be encoded in many different codecs. If the file can play in Windows Media Player then the codec seems to be installed on your system. What happens when you try to import the file into Toaster Edit?

Gordon
03-08-2003, 12:26 PM
If it was saved it to a CD then it is likely highly compressed. You may want to reload the original project in Premier, save it in another format which uses less compression, (or as uncompressed if you have the disk space), before loading it into Toaster Edit.

marcus_ren
03-08-2003, 01:10 PM
when i try to import the file into the Ted, it says that it cannot read the file

I thought avi meant that it was uncompressed... plus, the movie is only 3 mins and 320 x 240, so i think i was able to fit it on disc as an uncompressed file... but I could be wrong as it was the first time I'd messed with video and premier...

Paul Lara
03-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by marcus_ren
I thought avi meant that it was uncompressed...

AVI can come in numerous flavors, both compressed and uncompresed, YUB or RGB.

[quote]...plus, the movie is only 3 mins and 320 x 240, so i think i was able to fit it on disc as an uncompressed file...

an uncompressed (full frame) clip would likely be approaching 4Gigs and this frame size could still exceed 2Gigs.

marcus_ren
03-09-2003, 04:54 PM
thanx for the input guys, I guess what I'll try to do is see if I can get on the computer I originally made the film on, and re-export it.

Danner
03-14-2003, 06:03 PM
Have you tried loading it in aura? (without preload) Might be worth a shot.