PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 + LW2019 - creating objects and scenes everywhere - disable?

Marander
02-09-2019, 01:51 PM
When I open an object (fbx or other format) in LW2018 or LW2019, there is always a folder with a LightWave Scene and Objects created.

When I open a scene from 2015 or earlier, there is always a message displayed to create a safe copy.

Auto Save is disabled in the General Preferences.

I just want to load the scene or object (from other applications as fbx / obj or from LW2015) in LightWave and decide myself if, when and where I want to save anything.

I keep the LW content in a separate location (with its usual Scenes, Object, Images etc. structure).

This auto save behavior messes up my well organized folder structure and is a major PITA. I'm constantly forced to clean up the mess LW produces.

Am I doing something wrong here or can I disable this annoying auto save behavior?

Markc
02-09-2019, 03:28 PM
AFAIK this is normal behaviour.
Whenever I import daz content (fbx), LW converts it to .lwo and .lws format.

djwaterman
02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
AFAIK this is normal behaviour.
Whenever I import daz content (fbx), LW converts it to .lwo and .lws format.

That's normal with LW.

Ma3rk
02-09-2019, 04:09 PM
There is a dialog box that comes up early in the Open FBX process that asks where you want the new folder. The extraction process of FBX will also creates two other folders; an .fbm and .images and essentially are duplicated files.

What I often do is pick one of those folders to keep & delete the other. I move that either to a preferred images folder or under the newly created folder with scene & objects. I then open the scene, it will squawk about not finding an image, point to the folder I moved & then the rest will get found. At that pioint, make sure to do a Save All to save the scene & objects with the new image path.

Marander
02-10-2019, 04:22 AM
Thanks for your answers.

This is a serious pain and bad behavior of LW. I wonder how this is accepted in a heterogeneous environments or studios where LightWave just messes around in various object folders. It certainly messes up mine and I always have to think twice before opening something in LW because I have to clean up afterwards.

Best is maybe to copy the objects first to a dedicated LW Objects folder and open from there but that really puts me off even using it in the first place. I really wonder if the LW developers ever used another 3d application or mixed workflow. Does a user expect an application to write the same objects to disk when LOADING? No other application does that. Crazy.

hypersuperduper
02-10-2019, 04:38 AM
Perhaps a feature request is in order? An option to create necessary scenes/objects in a temp folder when importing that is then deleted automatically the next time you import. Seems like a simple fix. Or perhaps a plug-in.

Marander
02-10-2019, 04:40 AM
There is a dialog box that comes up early in the Open FBX process that asks where you want the new folder.

Thanks Ma3rk, I never really noticed that. I think I can use that as a workaround.

For example my characters are in E:\Content\Characters\fbx\... or objects in E:\Content\Objects\fbx\...

So when I import in LW i just replace the fbx with LW and it creates the objects and scene in E:\Content\Characters\LW\... which mitigates the issue.

Still not a good behavior because when I manually set the LW content folder in the preferences to E:\Content\LW it completely ignores that when importing fbx scenes.

Marander
02-10-2019, 04:44 AM
Perhaps a feature request is in order? An option to create necessary scenes/objects in a temp folder when importing. Seems like a simple fix. Or perhaps a plug-in.

Yes agree but this is just how other applications work (if they need to write anything while loading / converting). They use the User\AppData\Local\Temp folder for example or /tmp in Unix. And if done proper clean up afterwards of course. There are some guidelines every developer should know and follow.

Edit: Actually LW even already uses the standard temp folder User\AppData\Local\Temp for Hub and Image cache for example. And it even cleans it up when closing Layout (at least the image cache). Creating objects and scenes unasked anywhere in the users' file structure is really not good.

hypersuperduper
02-10-2019, 04:48 AM
Yes agree but this is just how other applications work (if they need to write anything while loading / converting). They use the User\AppData\Local\Temp folder for example. And if done proper clean up afterwards of course. There are some guidelines every developer should know and follow.

Yeah, that’s why I think it is probably a simple fix. I really like lightwave’s file management style, it has saved my *** more times than I care to count, but you are right that in some instances like simply viewing a non lwo/lws file it is too clunky.

Marander
02-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that’s why I think it is probably a simple fix. I really like lightwave’s file management style, it has saved my *** more times than I care to count, but you are right that in some instances like simply viewing a non lwo/lws file it is too clunky.

Thanks!

Created feature request:
(Case LWF-2342) Preferences option to set fbx import save path

Feature request to

1) have an option in the Preferences to save the files (if required) in the system temp directory <User>\AppData\Local\Temp instead. Also let the user change this temp directory.

2) There should also be an option for automatic cleanup when successfully converted to lwo / lws and loaded into Layout.

3) The existing functionality (auto create LightWave files in the original import directory) should still be an option of course.

Another annoying LW2018+ behavior is the dialog to create a safe folder when loading an older pre-2018 LightWave scene. There should be a global Preferences options where the user can define

1) to just load older scenes or objects without asking or saving (remove that dialog)

2) to automatically create the safe in a user defined location

Ma3rk
02-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Considering how much FBX has become a standard, most of this should pretty much be no brainers, but maybe some of it under an Advanced Options area.