PDA

View Full Version : Can you deform Instance along a Spline?

thomascheng
02-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to create a highway using a segment of a highway. I like to instance this segment along a spline, but was wondering if there is a way to also deform the instance as it clone along the spline. The alternative is to rail clone a really really long highway, and then use lots of bones to deform it. I like to avoid that as it seems a bit poly heavy and slow. Any ideas?

thomascheng
02-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Looks like the answer is no.

jbrookes
02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
I was hoping for an answer to this one too. Sounds like a good question to me.

Greenlaw
02-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Hey, Thomas! Good to see you here.

Yeah, I was hoping somebody would offer a solution too. I've needed to do that a bunch of times over the past five years and always wound up using actual geometry.

Coincidentally, I recently needed to build city blocks and highways. I wound up making modular sections, including curving sections, so I can construct the blocks and roads like legos. I experimented with using instances for this but it was just easier to use real geometry, even if the scene got a bit heavy in the end. If it had gotten any heavier, I'd probably break stuff out in passes. (Which I usually do anyway.)

hrgiger
02-12-2019, 05:13 PM
You can in Modo Thomas using a merge meshOp , but don't know how fast it would be. (and before people get their shorts in a bunch, Thomas uses Modo also) I've used it to bend a particle path of instances before.

squarewulf
02-12-2019, 06:51 PM
something like this?