PDA

View Full Version : Still no option for applying volumetrics to point cloud?

prometheus
02-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Is there still no improvement on the ability to have the volumetrics working on point clouds? with old hvīs they worked on any point cloud flawlessly, with 2018 and the new volumetrics that isnīt possible unless adding particles to points, I thought they should have managed to fix this with 2019.

sadkkf
02-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Could you do this with geometry and the new VDB options instead?

prometheus
02-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Could you do this with geometry and the new VDB options instead?

maybe..but that is useless, the volumetric noise is a different beast than the vdb options, which most likely is slower to use.
We need it for the new volumetrics..not openvdb workarounds.

sadkkf
02-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Yeah, sorry. Just a thought. It would be nice if the new volumetrics integrated better.

prometheus
02-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Yeah, sorry. Just a thought. It would be nice if the new volumetrics integrated better.

the new volumetrics lacks a lot of good functionality that was/is there in the old hvīs..I am surprised they didnīt implement it better.
Lacking functions in relations to the old hvīs are..

1. appliance on points.
2. direct random scale within the volumetric tab.
3. direct acess to textures in the texture option. (old hvs drop down texture list..faster than setting up nodes.)
4. texture effects are not possible in the same way as the old hv had texture effects, velocity, displace, billow etc.
5. viper preview of animations not possible..you have to use vpr and set animations up for that..it is much more cumbersome than the old viper just click and play.

some of all these lacking functions played some part in my decision to not upgrade, I would like to see a lot of this adressed.