PDA

View Full Version : LW2019 UV additions

Tim Parsons
02-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Been doing some UV'ing with 2019 and I must say it is a much more enjoyable experience. UV Island selection is a winner. Granted it would be better if it were just part the normal "Select Connected" with it knowing that your selection was taking place in the UV window, but I'm sure the old code base is keeping that from happening. The "Scale" display is great and was much needed. My "Stretch" display seems to be corrupted. (See attached) I also like the "Overlap" display but it is very glitchy. The display flickers infuriatingly. I read in the manual where they recommend getting out of these views when you don't need them because they are hard to compute or something along those lines, I guess they aren't ready for prime time. Those issues notwithstanding, I think their on the right path. Kudos to the team.

gar26lw
02-03-2019, 09:42 PM
you know select uv island has been round for years right? free plugin.

Tim Parsons
02-04-2019, 06:38 AM
you know select uv island has been round for years right? free plugin. I haven't seen that one so I'm happy it's here. :)

gar26lw
02-04-2019, 09:36 AM
yeah, sorry to be a downer :)

Tim Parsons
02-04-2019, 09:38 AM
yeah, sorry to be a downer :)

No downer! I'm happy it's there as well as the other additions.

gar26lw
02-04-2019, 02:04 PM
would reccomend adding the plg plugins if you haven’t yet as they still help a lot.

od tools are also good esp if you have risom / 3dcoat

Tim Parsons
02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Yeah, we don't have Risom or 3D Coat, our UV needs are not that extensive. We have do PLG but about the only tool there I use is the relax, but I see Modeler has a relax now too.

hrgiger
02-04-2019, 06:58 PM
I just downloaded the trial version of 2019, after seeing this thread I wanted to look at the UV additions. All I have to say is, I can't believe they were put through like this, someone was asleep at the quality control department. And Tim is right, the display modes are glitchy. Not only that, but the display modes aren't interactive so if you're hoping to tweak your map in spots to reduce distortion on your UV, the display doesn't update until you let up on the mouse which makes them incredibly tedious to edit to downright infuriating. I also agree with Tim that you should be able to select an island by selecting connected without selecting the whole mesh which is pretty much a standard in UV mapping. Strange that the stretch mode is highlighting edges instead of polys and strange that there are scale, angle and stretch, anywhere else it would just be a general distortion display with colors telling you if the polygon is being stretch or compressed. Also an odd choice to have the overlapping display highlight the entire polygon even if its not overlapping another island instead of just the overlapped area itself.

Some carry over problems from previous versions are still no number tiles for UDIMs, edges aren't selectable in the UV window and you can't change the grid size/display in the UV window (which goes back to not being able to set a fixed grid in Modeler)
Unless your UV needs are incredibly simple or minimal, I would definitely look at Rizom, UVLayout, 3Dcoat, anything else really.

Tim Parsons
02-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Spot on Steve. Right on all accounts except with the quality control comment. I think this statement in the docs is an indication they know it's not the best implementation - "The calculations needed to show these different states of UV maps are quite expensive, so it's good to go back to the standard Wire to preserve Modeler stability when you are done." - Let's face it, we know and they know Modeler needs a reboot, so these are most likely stopgap additions and I can give the devs a pass on this one. Also for the most part our UV needs are not that high. Attached is an example and ABF Unwrap handled the job just fine. I used to use Modo for my UV needs, but hardly touch it anymore since ABF came to the table and these extra tools make it that much better. Not the best - better than before. :)

hrgiger
02-04-2019, 10:39 PM
"The calculations needed to show these different states of UV maps are quite expensive, so it's good to go back to the standard Wire to preserve Modeler stability when you are done."

Yes I saw that in the docs. The issue though is that I don't see any type of performance issues in other apps dealing with display issues and UV's. And yes, I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that modeler is old code and as you say, needs a reboot. But showing flipped or overlapping UVs is on by default in Modo, overlapping flipped polys only show where the mesh is overlapping (even if that isn't the full polygon) turning on distortion display in both the UV window and directly on the model in any of the viewports has no discernible performance hit so as I suggested, maybe this still needs some more work as it is. But as long its enough for your needs, that's all that matters. I just needed something more robust and bought UV layout several years ago to unwrap models from LW, that became 3DCoat and eventually turned to Modo. When I'd seen they had added some UV tools to modeler, I wanted to try them out because I do a lot of UV work, but what's there is not for me.

gar26lw
02-05-2019, 12:22 AM
yeah I dont get how it can be a performance issue i the first place?

the discontinuous uv bug is still there btw (since v 6) where you end up with phantom points in the UV view after an edit and have to unweld then re-weld.

that is an absolute PITA of highest order

RPSchmidt
02-06-2019, 09:02 AM
yeah I dont get how it can be a performance issue i the first place?

the discontinuous uv bug is still there btw (since v 6) where you end up with phantom points in the UV view after an edit and have to unweld then re-weld.

that is an absolute PITA of highest order

That has historically been one of my biggest issues when creating UVs in Lightwave. That makes me sad that it's still an issue.

artzgo
02-06-2019, 09:53 AM
That has historically been one of my biggest issues when creating UVs in Lightwave. That makes me sad that it's still an issue.

Weight Maps Painter form 3rdPowers works very fast and stable