PDA

View Full Version : Naming an object in Modeler

Birck Cox
02-01-2019, 04:59 AM
Hi, guys. Me again, with another Newbie question. I'm still working in Modeler, no experience with Layout, no experience with Sub-D modeling. I have found that, in order to color the surface of one object in a group of, let's say 3 objects, for example a pot, the pot's lid, and a coffee cup next to the pot, I have to name the object and then, once I've added the color, name the color associated with it. And I understand the value of doing that. So if I've just created an object, e.g., the pot, using Lathe, what are the steps i need to use to name it, and how do I name the color? Is there an 'Object Properties' box in Modeler? And does it matter whether these objects are all in one layer or distributed over two or three layers? How do I name an object I've just created?

gar26lw
02-01-2019, 05:25 AM
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/reference/modeler/layers/layers-group/layer-settings

Birck Cox
02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
So object =Layer? Every object is on its own layer, either foreground or background, and the layer name is the name of the object?

ernesttx
02-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Birck, I'll give you a quick run down.

If you create an object (mesh) you will create it on Layer 1 (unless you clicked a different layer to create the object). Once created, the object will have a default surface.
On the Surface Editor, you can change the name (by right clicking and choose Rename) and color attributes (ie, RGB values or color picker).
If you want to change the color of selected polygons of your object (ie, you select the front polygons), you can press the Q key and that brings up a surface assignment window. Here you can create/name a new surface and choose the color or use the drop down menu to choose an existing surface color.
If you have several layers and need to name them, you can press the W key and the Layers pop up will appear and here you can rename your layers and choose the parent by double clicking on a layer.

Hope that helps.

Birck Cox
02-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Thanks, ernesttx. That does help, particularly the last section about naming a group.

ernesttx
02-01-2019, 01:05 PM
glad it helps. I'm not in front of LW at the moment, so I was hoping my memory was good. hah

BeeVee
02-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Eh, W is Statistics and you want F7 for Layers, but all good otherwise :)

B