PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party Companies that LW could ally itself: Tell us your ideas.

robertoortiz
01-29-2019, 06:58 AM
Hi guys, it has been a while.
I am following Chuck advice and starting new threads for 2019.

Anyway I think that going forward I think it is in the the interest of Newtek to ally itself with smaller companies.
For example
3D COAT (3D sculpting): https://3dcoat.com/home/
Quill (Ocullus VR animation tool) :https://quill.fb.com/

and here is one I have been trying for a while to get NewTek to talk to them
Akeytsu (next gen animation toolsets) https://www.nukeygara.com/

And I would seriously consider looking at selling Lw on the STEAM marketplace.

Anyway, so tell us your ideas.

-R

JohnMarchant
01-29-2019, 07:24 AM
3D Coat is a good idea, cant speak for Quills as i dont have a VR Rig. Problem is small companies like Allegorithmic can soon become big companies like Adobe. I certainly would not like to see LW end up in the situation of being a target for anyone really. I mean C4D is no longer Maxon, they are owned by another company, Modo has gone to Foundry. Im sure it all makes business sense but as far as artists go it usually makes less sense for them.

thomascheng
01-29-2019, 08:41 AM
I think Rob try to buy 3D Coat, but they weren't interested, but I guess the question is "how do they ally themselves" with a company like 3D Coat? Would it just be marketing, or a bridge (which they have)?

gar26lw
01-29-2019, 08:49 AM
make a tool like they have with the unreal bridge. Its sweet and actually works! Instantly sped up production times if you use unreal. That same system with 3d coat and substance would be good. Perhaps that is what Interchange will be able to do?

With Akeytsu, it might well be good to use that if there can be bidirectional interchange, that's really the key, no export/import, just works. I own it but I have to say I find it another tool to use and would prefer things native.

I think atm though, I'd rather they focus on the UI/UX, bugs, modeller features (huge list from way back.. 20yrs ?) Animation tools could also do with an overhaul. And layout tools in layout, like grid snap etc.

JohnMarchant
01-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Indeed, the first steps is to make tools that connect like the new unreal bridge. Substance drop the LWO format just over a year ago i think and now they are teaming up with Adobe, so that horse has bolted. Having said that we have the AE connection so its possible maybe in the future to have a connection to Substance in Adobe. Oliver Hotz would seem like the sort of guy who would know more about this.

thomascheng
01-29-2019, 10:25 AM
I would personally like to see Newtek work with AMD and get Radeon Pro Render onto the platform. It's a free GPU engine and I think AMD is eager to get Pro Render on as many platform as possible.

CaptainMarlowe
01-29-2019, 10:39 AM
I would personally like to see Newtek work with AMD and get Radeon Pro Render onto the platform. It's a free GPU engine and I think AMD is eager to get Pro Render on as many platform as possible.

Yep, I would like this too, especially with Radeon Pro Render being optimised for Metal 2 for Mac users. :)

mummyman
01-29-2019, 11:23 AM
I know Octane is already covered... but how about some Redshift love? They are available to almost every other software.

Bernie2Strokes
01-29-2019, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see some kind of replacement or upgrade for NevronMotion. What kind of new hardware can we adapt it for and will it include stuff like facial motion capture?

TheLexx
01-30-2019, 02:13 AM
I would like to see TAFA revived in some way, and if that could be incorporated side by side with Annosoft which is already compatible with LW (http://www.annosoft.com/lightwave-3dŽ-support), it would be unbelievable. And Mark is a very approachable guy - hint :).

3D Kiwi
01-30-2019, 04:41 AM
Autodesk would be the best fit I think. Well at least until they gain their trust, get one of the tech guys drunk copy his key card, sneak in late one nite which should be easy as no one at Autodesk works hard so the place will be empty after 5pm.

Look for their archives especially the one named Softimage. Copy it onto a flash drive, not sure how big software is so may have to be a really large flash drive.

Then go to the roof, jump off the roof and deploy their parachutes, meet up with someone driving a black van, any black van will do, then deliver the flash drive or drives to Newtek.

Then they just need to re label it Lightwave 2020, and we are sorted, Updated modeling tools, Great partials and simulations etc, Render passes, Unification all in a nights work.

Easy as... :-)

Asticles
01-30-2019, 04:51 AM
I would vote for 3dCoat, in order to have a good bridge plugin.

I wouldn't suggest to ally with any cad enterprise, because they tend to buy 3d packages to kill them; or other weird results.

About the renderer, for every one you add, the better. But cannot decide which one would be more beneficial.

Best regards.

robertoortiz
01-30-2019, 07:56 AM
For me the biggest gap right now in terms of the LW toolset is in its character animation capabilities. In other areas it is doing great to good (but procedural animation toolsets in layout would rock). I am trying to get the developer of Akeytsu to talk directly to the LW community (he is a friend).

So guys until then , any other 3rd party animation programs (a la Softimage) that could complement LW?

-R

TheLexx
01-30-2019, 09:34 AM
So guys until then , any other 3rd party animation programs (a la Softimage) that could complement LW?

-RDitto 3D Kiwi's scenario, except swap Softimage for Messiah Studio (as an add-on). :)

Felipe Soto
01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
I would certainly be all in for a Lightwave/3dcoat bridge plugin.

erikals
01-30-2019, 04:52 PM
I would like to see TAFA revived in some way, and if that could be incorporated side by side with Annosoft which is already compatible with LW (http://www.annosoft.com/lightwave-3dŽ-support), it would be unbelievable. And Mark is a very approachable guy - hint :).

did ask Mac if he wanted to sell to NewTek couple of years ago, the answer was no, since he wanted to stay in charge.
closer integration would be nice though. in time i might make an AHK function that made this possible (like Go-Z light)
should be easy, just got tons of other projects right now, + Mark needs to fix his webpage. http://www.macreitercreations.com

hrgiger
01-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Anyone willing to buy LW from NT and give it proper support and marketing and direction.

TheLexx
01-30-2019, 05:18 PM
did ask Mark if he wanted to sell to NewTek couple of years ago, the answer was no, since he wanted to stay in charge.
closer integration would be nice though. in time i might make an AHK function that made this possible (like Go-Z light)
should be easy, just got tons of other projects right now, + Mark needs to fix his webpage. http://www.macreitercreations.com

Hi erikals, just to clarify that Mac of TAFA and Mark of Annosoft are two separate guys, with Mac probably better known to LW community, so I think you meant Mac, but good info many thanks. If Mac wants to remain in control, then maybe there is still hope for a TAFA 2 (!) :)

jasonwestmas
01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Ditto 3D Kiwi's scenario, except swap Softimage for Messiah Studio (as an add-on). :)

Put messiah's tools inside of layout. If it's even possible that would be a nice addition. They do have a lot of similar workflows, I often said in the past that messiah is what I wished layout was. Good luck!

jasonwestmas
01-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Anyone willing to buy LW from NT and give it proper support and marketing and direction.

I've often wished Lightwave would just excel at something and stop trying to be everything. He doesn't listen when I express those thoughts.

pixel master
01-30-2019, 06:33 PM
For me the biggest gap right now in terms of the LW toolset is in its character animation capabilities. In other areas it is doing great to good (but procedural animation toolsets in layout would rock). I am trying to get the developer of Akeytsu to talk directly to the LW community (he is a friend).

-R

Blender is about to rewrite their animation system. The project is called: Animation 2020. I'm sure the Blender foundation would be receptive to working with Newtek.

erikals
01-30-2019, 07:00 PM
I think you meant Mac
sorry, yes, Mac :)

If Mac wants to remain in control, then maybe there is still hope for a TAFA 2 (!) :)
hope so, that he continues the TAFA journey somehow. :goodluck:

hrgiger
01-31-2019, 02:49 AM
I've often wished Lightwave would just excel at something and stop trying to be everything. He doesn't listen when I express those thoughts.

Yes I think that is a problem. It needs a niche to be known for. Houdini vfx, Max games, Maya animation, Modo modeling, C4D mograph, LightWave _? I would say it used to be known for its renderer but obviously the industry has moved on, things like GI, interactive rendering (Fprime, VPR) are pretty much standard these days and a lot of people are going to GPU rendering, Octane, Redshift, Vray….. And others need a low cost solution with easy licensing terms as they don't make a lot of money with the software but Blender has pretty much taken that spot. LW is holding onto users who have used it for years and enjoy it but it needs to specialize in something if they want new users.

robertoortiz
01-31-2019, 05:52 AM
Yes I think that is a problem. It needs a niche to be known for. Houdini vfx, Max games, Maya animation, Modo modeling, C4D mograph, LightWave _? I would say it used to be known for its renderer but obviously the industry has moved on, things like GI, interactive rendering (Fprime, VPR) are pretty much standard these days and a lot of people are going to GPU rendering, Octane, Redshift, Vray….. And others need a low cost solution with easy licensing terms as they don't make a lot of money with the software but Blender has pretty much taken that spot. LW is holding onto users who have used it for years and enjoy it but it needs to specialize in something if they want new users.

Great post...

What Lightwave needs to do is approach a new user base.
And besides there is a feeling that the industry is in the mist of a seismic change. Companies like Adobe and Autodesk are the definitive kings of the hill right now, but a lot of the peasants are not happy with them...at all. Those subscriptions are a pain for medium to small shops and they are hungry for alternatives.

What i would recommend the LW is to look into the pro design market.They are a fickle beast and drop software at the drop of a hat. Just ask Quark Express people how is their market dominance holding. Another market I would STROOONGLy suggest to look into the the pro VR market. A lot of the development tools in that market are in the infant stages, but they show a TON of promise. So much so tha Disney is pending a ton of money in that market.

Tweaking Lightwave to tackle those markets isa VERY DOABLE task.

jasonwestmas
01-31-2019, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I was going to say there was a time when Lightwave was standing out as a Modeling and Rendering Package, I used it for that quite often for concept design and illustration purposes, but that ship has sailed because the other packages are more streamlined now and can therefore compete for smaller projects.

I often tell people it's not about possibilities anymore it's more about efficiency with time saving tools. So with that said I definitely agree that Lightwave dev should focus on specific needs that are in other markets that aren't being met and really, I mean really focus in on making those people happy. I mean isn't it obvious that no one company can make everyone happy? So why not take advantange.

So I think my point is , successful applications are not so much about making an outstanding rendering, modeling or animation workflow or even how well Lightwave connects to other applications in general, but it's more about making the tool-sets work for specific types of projects. I think many would agree with that in this day and age.

robertoortiz
01-31-2019, 12:10 PM
So I think my point is , successful applications are not so much about making an outstanding rendering, modeling or animation workflow or even how well Lightwave connects to other applications in general, but it's more about making the tool-sets work for specific types of projects. I think many would agree with that in this day and age.
Agreed.

One market that Newtek can tap right now is the motiongraphics market. People who use all those Tricasters need solutions to do all those graphics. I would strongly recoment doing a survey to current Tricaster users about their needs in this realm.

The same applies to the graphic design market. It is not that hard to satisfy that market,but they need to streamline the interface for that market.

-R