PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Annual updates

cagey5
01-26-2019, 01:00 PM
I thought I'd start this thread as it had been raised a few times in the other thread and Chuck had warned against derailing that one.

From my perspective I'm happy to see annual updates as it seems to be a much more realistic business model versus what has been the norm thus far. I can understand how people will interpret that as a subscription model but for me the key difference is that when/if I decide to no longer update then I have a workable version of the last version I bought.

As a hobbyist I have to question whether or not I will be able to justify the annual cost but provided there remains a reduced price to get back on board with the latest version if I miss the occasional one I'm happy with that too.

I'm a charter member, or rather was, as I didn't buy into LW 2018, and I knew by not upgrading I was losing that privilege. I understand I have until some time in March to upgrade at the reduced price and will carefully consider that before the deadline passes, butI don't feel compelled at this stage and may sit out another turn, but provided the upgrades stay attractive in terms of price and functionality Lightwave remains my 3D tool of choice.

Pity about Linux though. It really is the only operating system I use. Even getting it to work via Wine would be something, but that's another topic for another day.

TheLexx
01-26-2019, 01:13 PM
I saw a video where a guy definitely got LW 9.6 running on Wine. Maybe Reactos for Lightwave is doable ?

hrgiger
01-26-2019, 01:49 PM
I think you're honestly looking at it the wrong way. If you lose your discounted pricing but sit out say 3 years (just as an example), your regular pricing is $495 (?). Well that's 3 years to come up with $495 vs coming up with $295 or $395 every year which is much more expensive overall but you still end up with the same updates as everyone else. I get why you think you're losing a benefit, but you're gaining the ability to work within your budget, not on their timeframe. Its a tradeoff.

cagey5
01-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't think I'm looking at it the wrong way at all. I took that all into consideration when I didn't upgrade last year. For me.... for me, it works out as a better deal if I skip the occasional upgrade, but stay on board when finances and appeal dictate.

jbrookes
01-26-2019, 05:20 PM
My experience with the yearly full release system (ala AutoDesk) has been that it results in a lot of half-baked software.

Every two years is more realistic if the goal is to produce stable, relatively bug-free software at this level of complexity.