PDA

View Full Version : Review of Class on Demand DVDs

mamurphy
01-02-2004, 05:51 PM
I consider myself in training, and with the specific goal of learning more information about creating broadcast style text and textual animation I purchased the Class on Demand "Background in Motion" 2 DVD set and the "Kick *** Logos" DVD.

All three of these were done with Dan Ablan giving the instruction.

I must say that I am kind of disappointed.

I guess I was hoping to learn some industry secrets and get some more theory about 3d text and animation, but each disc was more project based with no real deviation from getting to a specific end result.

I did learn a few things about smoothing among others on the logo DVD, and a few cool things about stretching hypervoxel sprites and compositing in Layout on the first background DVD. However, overall, I don't feel like the material is worth the $130 I paid for the 3 DVDs

I could probably recommend the Background DVDs, In fact they can help you make stuff like you would find at Digital Juice, but the Logo one is strictly for beginners.

This is not a slam on Dan Ablan, because I think he did what he was asked to do by Class on Demand, but now I'm hesitant to buy anything else from them because I feel they are geared more toward beginners.

On a side note..I still need help learning a lot of Lightwave functions and capabilities. I wish Lightwave had a solid training set light Gnomon for Maya.

2/5 stars for the Logo Disc (For Newbies/A little too basic)
3/5 stars for Hypervoxel Bkgd Disc (Cool enough but not deep enough)
3.5/5 stars for Texture Editor Bkgd Disc (A little more depth on content and technique)

I did wait a week to write this review, because I wanted to "cool off" and give an honest opinion.

prospector
01-02-2004, 06:10 PM
I like all the Class on Demand videos I have gotten in the past.

Most others are Do this..Do that type of training

But Dan has some lighthearted moments with the film crew and it makes watching them easier (some others are so boring I fall asleep).

Altho I would have liked to see the tapes (didn't have DVD at the time) go into more 'why' type of instructions.

As LW stuff can be done in many ways to get the same results, then a showing of each way and comparing the ease of each to the downsides would be nice.

archiea
01-02-2004, 07:24 PM
mamurphy, when the inside LW 8 books comes out, check it out in the books store... at least with bboks you can flip through them!!!! thats probably why i sometines prefer the books... Don't let this discourage you....

CB_3D
01-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Danīs books are very well structured, but also very project-oriented.

I think that what you are looking for can be found easier in the mostly free web tutorials. I donīt have the link to Shawnīs tutorial link page, but you should find it easily in these forums. Once i began to use that page i regretted every penny i have ever spent for 3d home training.

And yes, the Gnomon tuts are excellent in comparison to most LW training material....and i am NOT referring to Danīs books here, which i consider a very good starting point for LW beginners.

adrian
01-03-2004, 01:27 AM
I really like Dan Ablan's Advanced courseware Cd set - I have learnt bundles of new stuff and I've only followed about 25% of the course so far... so you might want to look into this.

Talking of the Background in Motion DVDs, I'm sure I saw a special offer the other day offering one of these DVDs for just $10 but now I can't find it. Has anyone else seen this?

BTW do you not have a money back guarantee with your DVDs?

Adrian.

cresshead
01-03-2004, 11:36 AM
i have lightwave 101 by dan and that's a great way to step into lightwave as a new beginner, also i ahve into seven with brad [lux] pebbler which i found to be well paced and entertaining and also a gret way to get into lightwave...

there's several video out to buy and also free ones for download like the one's from www.simplylightwave.com but even though they are teaching you some non newbie stuff i feel the delivery is at times sleep inducing..for real!..i fell asleep on a couple of occasions and one of my students nodded off today when i played one of them in class!

some of the most interesting ones i've personally seen so far are from leigh, deuce, larry shultz, dan and "proton" they are showing top info and deliver the information in a light hearted way and entertain as they teach..larry comes across as very knowledable and my students all rate him highly as a artist/teacher of 3d.

maybe a star rating for the difficulty level of what's being taught would help consumers pick the correct dvd's videos for their level.

archiea
01-04-2004, 01:33 AM
I just have a bunch of videos from Vivid... all on soft body dynamics... highly recommended...

prospector
01-04-2004, 02:07 AM
:D :D :D

Actually, even some of them put me to sleep:)

zeno
01-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by archiea
I just have a bunch of videos from Vivid... all on soft body dynamics... highly recommended...

vivid technology ,inc... the that made softimage?...
:D