PDA

View Full Version : A new trend in 3D software?

Aegis
01-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I've been reading a lot of opinions on LightWave 8 in the CGTalk forums - for the most part these have been very positive however there are a number of users (or former users) that strongly feel that LightWave has fallen behind Maya and Softimage (and a few that feel even Cinema 4D has surpassed it).

Cinema 4D aside (I know it, I've used it and it doesn't hold a candle to LightWave IMHO) - to some extent they have a point although with LightWave 8 we're looking at some seriously enhanced character tools (amongst many other enhancements) which will narrow the gap considerably.

Obviously there are other areas that need improvement but after a year of LightWave being in development hell it seems things are moving swifter than I thought possible and I'm pretty confident that major new improvements in ALL areas will be evident in the next 12 months.

HOWEVER - there seems to be a developing trend of standalone applications specifically targeted at weak points in the existing "big four" 3D packages - Motionbuilder gives users character tools that LightWave (and indeed Softimage and Maya) users could only dream of. Modo promises to be the Modelling package that everyone will want to use and of course for Softimage, Maya and 3D Studio Max there are also external rendering solutions available too not to mention packages such as Deep Paint and BodyPaint.

Considering the cost of so-called "high-end" 3D software, what would you rather be using? I've been seriously considering moving to Maya but with a six month upgrade cycle costing me the price I paid for the software in the first place EVERY YEAR it seems pretty damn wasteful to go the Maya route when I'm gonna be animating in Motionbuilder and modeling in LightWave Modeler ('cause I can build ANYTHING I need to in Modeler quickly and efficiently).

Ade
01-03-2004, 05:38 AM
What Maxon has going for them is swift development, when someone says they want something they usually do it in teh next update for free. I think LW would be soo much better if they released incrimental updates rather than full fledged ones.

Beamtracer
01-03-2004, 06:50 AM
What ever happened to Project Messiah? It went very quiet. You rarely hear about it these days. It's one of those "other" add-on apps.

You've got a good point, Aegis. Lightwave plus a dedicated character animation package gives you more than other more expensive 3D apps.

Nakia
01-03-2004, 07:25 AM
Any of the packages offering solution to Large Scale Architecture Design? Seem like so much focus is on character design and animation but not much on detailed City / Cities design.Its one thing to build a large City from a far distant shot but to be able to zoom out see two cites or more then zoom in down to be able to see Address on the Door of a house. Who ever takes on that could win a nice spot in large environmental Game design and motion picture. That could help to replace large mock-ups that seem to still be needed for some City shots.
To me the way LW is designed with two Apps in one is a good solution for that area.
Seem like LW is being used alot more in TV and movies this past year.

stijn
01-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
What ever happened to Project Messiah? It went very quiet. You rarely hear about it these days. It's one of those "other" add-on apps.

You've got a good point, Aegis. Lightwave plus a dedicated character animation package gives you more than other more expensive 3D apps.

Messiah has has been published and kicks Maya's and Motionbuilders butt in terms of CA and rigging, and for an insanely low price at that... I think its odd that it does not have a larger user base. It's a bit like Mirai in that the few people who know it think its the coolest thing since sliced bread. :)
(Except that Messiah is booming development-wise and Mirai is not...) More plugins arre being written for Messiah now, too. The only thing that is NOT production ready by far is the renderer.

Personally, I can't get excited about the new character tools in LW; I feel that they should have been there years ago, and based on the ''enhanced character tools'' that we have since version 6, I'm skeptic about any claims in that area. Come on, even siple IK is not working properly in the version that we have now, unless you set ALL of the limits on every bone...It jitters like hell. I hope I'm wrong, but like I said, I think not.

It's not the features, its the implementation. I really hope Newtek has rewritten the IK solver, and made weightpainting intuitive...

Cheers!
Stijn.

meshmaster
01-12-2004, 11:07 AM
tools were half as powerful and quick as Motionbuilder 5, I think Lightwave would take over the entire 3d market! :)