PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D® 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Chuck
01-22-2019, 11:12 AM
NewTek is pleased to announce the release of LightWave 3D® 2019, a new edition of the production-proven graphics and animation package that refines the artist’s workflow to make creation of complex, photo-real animation and imagery faster and more efficient. Leading the list of improvements are the revolutionary new integration tools with Unreal Engine for real time data transfer to the world’s leading game engine. The system performs automatic discovery to make the workflow entirely seamless.

Another major advance for LightWave users is the new Metamorphic system, which brings multipurpose animatable mesh sculpting and painting to Layout. Fully multi-threaded for fast operation, Metamorphic includes a wide range of brush options and controls, multiple animation modes, nonlinear interpolation, motion blur support and much more.

Additional Highlights:

New UV mapping and UDIM tile mapping tools and capabilities in Modeler
Smoothing Groups in Modeler for fine-tuned control of contours in models
Limited Bones mode
Set the number of bones that affect a given point to match the target game engine
Real-time optimizations to better match the bone system performance expected in game engines
Interchange Bridge for interactive FBX interchange; support for more FBX attributes
Shading Model Customization Tools
New Shape Primitives and tools
OpenVDB creation tools
Shading and Rendering Enhancements
Edge Shader Node simulates beveled or rounded edges without geometry
Patina Node adds wear and dirt to surfaces to give your world that lived-in look
Procedural Shader Node wraps classic LightWave™ procedural textures for Node Editor
NVIDIA OptiX™ Denoising for still images (requires NVIDIA graphics card)
Despike can reduce or eliminate artifacts for a render that has “fireflies”
Scientifically-accurate Physical Sky shader and SunLight light type.
Workflow and UI:
Display Scaling Options for high-resolution monitors and multiple monitor setups
Expanded Layout Undo System
Popup Menus now support mouse wheel, navigation keys, search and more
Node Graph controls for grid size, snap to grid, grid brightness and color, Tidy Nodes
Online Documentation adapts to the screen format of any device
“Managed portal” licensing option for large facilities. Purchase by special arrangement.

Availability & Pricing
LightWave 3D 2019 for Windows and Mac OS is available now for USMSRP $995.

Registered owners of any previous version of LightWave 3D can upgrade to LightWave 2019 for US$395, through March 31, 2019.

LightWave owners who are eligible for special pricing under the terms of a previous purchase will need to contact LightWave Customer Services directly for their purchase arrangements.

International pricing may vary.

Educational pricing is also available. Visit www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/ to purchase or to locate an authorized LightWave reseller.

New Features Page (with videos) (https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/)

LightWave 3D 2019 Tutorials (https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/tutorials/)

Chuck
01-22-2019, 11:52 AM
We've added links to help you check out the new features page and the tutorials. The Tutorials are also on our YouTube account.

Markc
01-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Just got my discount request from my account.
Does this also expire 31 march?

Marander
01-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Great to finally see some UI / Undo / workflow enhancements. I installed the demo...

...seriously NewTek?

Chuck
01-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Just got my discount request from my account.
Does this also expire 31 march?

That's not a question we can answer for you here, if you mean that you have a discount based on the terms of a previous purchase. You'll need to contact LightWave Customer Services for that information. We're honoring any terms we've previously set forth, but that's not something we're going to try to work through with people on the forums or on social media.

Chuck
01-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Great to finally see some UI / Undo / workflow enhancements. I installed the demo...

...seriously NewTek?

Sorry, that's not something we managed to address for this release. In other news, PMERIFE is the name of my new band... :jam:

TSpyrison
01-22-2019, 12:10 PM
I'm a little confused where the link to purchase the upgrade is..
It says " links are found in the 'Registered Products' section on your Account page, and are located next to each eligible LightWave product. "

However I don't see 2019 on there anywhere. However there is a "Request Upgrade Discount" button next to my 2018 serial number...

Chuck
01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
It says " links are found in the 'Registered Products' section on your Account page, and are located next to each eligible LightWave product. "

However I don't see 2019 on there anywhere. However there is a "Request Upgrade Discount" button next to my 2018 serial number...

Yes, if you click that "Request Upgrade Discount" button, that will start the purchase process.

OFF
01-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Great, thanks NT!

avkills
01-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Downloaded and messing around. (Mac) Installed without a hitch which is something I recall was a 2018 snafu on the Mac. Just off the cuff it feels really solid. (Hackintosh Geforce 1080ti)

Chuck does the Unreal interchange work with other products that use Unreal Engine (primarily thinking of Ross Frontier Virtual Set tech)

Marander
01-22-2019, 12:28 PM
The Undo description says:

The Layout Undo System has been expanded to many of the systems involving Transforms & Keys. Unlimited Undo is now available in:

Graph Editor
Scene Editors, both new and classic
Dope Sheet
Many Layout navigation tools

Works in Graph Editor. Much better than before, finally usable for animation without needing to curse.

Renamed and deleted, replaced, cloned, colored an object in Scene Editor, no Undo available. Moved Perspective and Ortho View, no Undo available. Does the LW Undo only work for Transforms & Keys?

However at least it works for most important parts.

Markc
01-22-2019, 12:30 PM

This will give you a page with your discount.
I got the link to see what the price was......:)

Marander
01-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Several crashes trying Metamorphic (but most options are disabled for Demo). I have purchased the plugin and was wondering

1) if there were performance optimizations done (specially for Weight Painting)
2) if existing customers get a discount

Bug report submitted.

jamesw767
01-22-2019, 12:38 PM
Have you guys ever thought about porting LightWave to Linux?

Marander
01-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Sorry double post

Just wanted to add that the Metamorphic test was done only in a VM using a slow svga emulation, so maybe not so representative.

But that's the nice thing about LW, it even runs in a Virtual Machine.

Marander
01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
The searchable and navigate-able menus and the ctrl+spacebar command are very well done! Great workflow enhancement (along with Undo of course).

These are the small things that makes working with LW much easier, faster and more enjoyable!

prometheus
01-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Only checked the vdb tools presentation from oliver, great stuff in there, and a lot of what I have asked for.
Finally we now have a way to turn any mesh shape in to volumetrics, and also nice to see the advection node to distort the volume fully, scattering of particles on this also reminds me of secondary scattering shapes in houdini Cloudfx.

And the gas solver...what? a way of simulating fluid like stuff natively..though different technique and not a true fluid solution that reacts to obstacles, but interesting.

Native sky environment, Great...asked for that for some time.

Nodes..fixed AA, Finally the connections looks smoother and professional.

Have no time to try the new 2019 out for weeks though, the new tools (may) open up for much more designed clouds from my perspective.
Thanks to oliver for presenting it so well.

ernesttx
01-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Can't wait to get it this evening. Lovin' LW and NT and all the devs. Thank you.

MAUROCOR
01-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Thank you Newtek, very nice features! ;)

hypersuperduper
01-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Wow! I really did not expect this. I haven’t downloaded yet, but judging from the feature list it really looks like Newtek has underpromised and overdelivered. Nodal editing/mixing of shape primitives was NOT anything I was expecting. Very excited to try this new stuff out!

Chuck
01-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Several crashes trying Metamorphic (but most options are disabled for Demo). I have purchased the plugin and was wondering

Bug report submitted.

Metamorphic in LightWave 2019 is a significantly advanced version, with both enhancements and integration into Layout. And the 2019 upgrade is loaded with a range of other new features many of which would make an incredible value for the price on their own, so we feel the pricing is appropriate.

jwiede
01-22-2019, 01:34 PM

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the Mac Metamorphic keyboard input bug (where keyboard commands to change brushes, etc. weren't working) has been fixed in LW2019?

Unrelated, but also, were the more serious Bullet problems from LW2018 fixed in LW2019?

MarcusM
01-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Is there any field for good will from NT if my company bought one new full licence of 2018 in last week 14.01.2019?
New licence have option "Buy LightWave 2019 Upgrade Now" the second, older LW 2018 have "Request Upgrade Discount". The difference is?

BTW. Thank you dev team for look in to game development. Modeler still need more focus :)

Good work on new tutorials!

raymondtrace
01-22-2019, 02:05 PM
...Good work on new tutorials!

The improved marketing (with video tutorials and demos on the first day of release) alone is worth the upgrade.

Deep Purple
01-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Downloaded and messing around. (Mac) Installed without a hitch which is something I recall was a 2018 snafu on the Mac. Just off the cuff it feels really solid. (Hackintosh Geforce 1080ti)

Chuck does the Unreal interchange work with other products that use Unreal Engine (primarily thinking of Ross Frontier Virtual Set tech)

Unreal Editor 4.19, 4.20 and 4.21 are supported, including derived environments like Unreal Studio.

- David

js33
01-22-2019, 02:08 PM
We've added links to help you check out the new features page and the tutorials. The Tutorials are also on our YouTube account.

Sorry Chuck, I hope I didn't spoil the surprise yesterday. I was just excited to see new videos on your Youtube channel. Now I can go watch them.
Congratulations on the release of LW 2019.:rock:

bazsa73
01-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Yeah!

adk
01-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Congrats on the LW 2019 release :beerchug:
Still going through all the features and I must say that the UE integration looks very good.
Can't wait to take that for a spin and very glad that it works with the Unreal Studio environment Deep Purple :thumbsup:
We use Studio here mainly for the CityEngine / datasmith workflow, and it's not that smooth nor ideal in a few respects, so this is very timely and welcome on my end.

Kudos to all involved and thanks to all the LW folks for the tutes !
That's a tick from me :)

Lewis
01-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Congrats to whole DEV team and NT.

Chuck
01-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Is there any field for good will from NT if my company bought one new full licence of 2018 in last week 14.01.2019?
New licence have option "Buy LightWave 2019 Upgrade Now" the second, older LW 2018 have "Request Upgrade Discount". The difference is?

BTW. Thank you dev team for look in to game development. Modeler still need more focus :)

Good work on new tutorials!

Anyone who purchased within the last 30 days should contact LightWave Customer Support, as that is within the grace period, LightWave 2019 is yours.

Dillon
01-22-2019, 02:59 PM
This update is AMAZING!!! Looked at most of the videos, and documentation regarding the upgrade - only have the trial so I can't fully test at the moment.

Couple questions: Can objects that are animated with the newmetamesh brush tool be converted to VDB? Bones applied? Morph targets applied? Will VDB in LW work with VDB in Unreal bridge? Volumetrics?

The Unreal Bridge is mind blowing!!

Felipe Soto
01-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah! Thanks NT!

Marander
01-22-2019, 03:21 PM
Metamorphic in LightWave 2019 is a significantly advanced version, with both enhancements and integration into Layout. And the 2019 upgrade is loaded with a range of other new features many of which would make an incredible value for the price on their own, so we feel the pricing is appropriate.

Thanks for your answers Chuck.

Great to see LW getting more frequent updates. I also appreciate that most development efforts went into Layout instead of Modeler.

The new OpenVDB / Volumetric features and Nodal Editor enhancements are very nice and open many new possibilities.

UPGRADED to LW2019 and ODTools 2019!

Ztreem
01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Is this the shortest dev cycle ever for Lightwave?
Nice! Looks like one of the best updates in years for Lw. I’m glad to finally see some UI & workflow enhancement being done. The future of LW just got a little brighter...

Bernie2Strokes
01-22-2019, 03:31 PM
I'm really impressed at some of the improvements. I'm looking forward to trying out the new edge shading features. Although I'm curious about the use of NVIDIA GPU for denoising. Does this mean there's a limited use of GPU for rendering scenes or it's fully integrated?

3dslider
01-22-2019, 03:48 PM
It all clears up and becomes clearer now :)

Very nice to all improvements, I look forward to test all these features soon.

Thank you LW Team and NT for your great work !

Cageman
01-22-2019, 03:55 PM
The OVDB stuff.... what the ****? Where did that come from? I am speechless. WOW.

Great job, LW3DG... I just wonder how many LW-users added Houdini to their workflow to do... well... what LW2019 apparently can do now?

Chuck
01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Sorry Chuck, I hope I didn't spoil the surprise yesterday. I was just excited to see new videos on your Youtube channel. Now I can go watch them.
Congratulations on the release of LW 2019.:rock:

Not a problem, our bad, we had a new guy loading up the videos, wasn't familiar with the public/private toggle. A little advance buzz is probably a good thing! Thanks for your patience! :)

Lewis
01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
I'm really impressed at some of the improvements. I'm looking forward to trying out the new edge shading features. Although I'm curious about the use of NVIDIA GPU for denoising. Does this mean there's a limited use of GPU for rendering scenes or it's fully integrated?

Don't mixup GPU rendering with Denoiser, Denoiser is only for denosing AFTER renderer is done. Rendering process itself is still CPU. It's very good and very fast but for denoising only not rendering. Still Lw has CPU denoiser also (released in 2018 AFAIR) so for those who don't have Nvida GPUs (MAC people ?)) they still can use native denoiser if needed.

erikals
01-22-2019, 04:19 PM
In other news, PMERIFE is the name of my new band... :jam:
LoL, Thanks, today's first laugh!  https://i.imgur.com/fMb2Mjm.gif

Chuck
01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Is this the shortest dev cycle ever for Lightwave?
Nice! Looks like one of the best updates in years for Lw. I’m glad to finally see some UI & workflow enhancement being done. The future of LW just got a little brighter...

Glad you like what you are seeing in this new upgrade!

This is the closest together we've ever released ordinal upgrades. In terms of the time, it's pretty much what we've allowed to go from a final point-release in one ordinal series to a new ordinal series first release. I'm sure most folks have understood that even in the markets years ago, doing such extensive feature-laden point releases as we were doing was not a sustainable business model. So the experiment this past year was a reasonable group of maintenance-only releases, and the new ordinal for early in the new year. We are committed to LightWave for the long haul, so we are thinking and working toward developing and moving to a sustainable business model.

js33
01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Not a problem, our bad, we had a new guy loading up the videos, wasn't familiar with the public/private toggle. A little advance buzz is probably a good thing! Thanks for your patience! :)

I have been in the Houdini and Blender worlds for awhile but I feel LW calling me home again.:D

jwiede
01-22-2019, 05:10 PM
For whatever reason, the trial key generated by Newtek isn't being accepted by my install of LW2019 here. I've confirmed the license key value is in the LICENSE.LWK file in the proper location for LW2019.0.0 (~/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/2019.0/Licenses/LICENSE.LWK), and that it matches the downloaded LICENSE.LWK's license key value, but regardless of what I do, launching Layout just puts up the following dialog (and stays in Discovery Mode afterwards):

This is on platform per sig (running OSX 10.13.6), and no, I don't have my old LW dongle currently attached.

Any ideas?

adk
01-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Glad you like what you are seeing in this new upgrade!

This is the closest together we've ever released ordinal upgrades. In terms of the time, it's pretty much what we've allowed to go from a final point-release in one ordinal series to a new ordinal series first release. I'm sure most folks have understood that even in the markets years ago, doing such extensive feature-laden point releases as we were doing was not a sustainable business model. So the experiment this past year was a reasonable group of maintenance-only releases, and the new ordinal for early in the new year. We are committed to LightWave for the long haul, so we are thinking and working toward developing and moving to a sustainable business model.

From my pov it's a good model Chuck.
I'd much rather yearly (or there abouts) ordinal updates and a sustainable future for LW rather than the previous approach.
Don't get me wrong, the pletohora of point updates and easter eggs along the way were definitely most welcome, but if that's at the expense of LW's long term future then it's something we should just leave in the nostalgia trash bin.

Fabulous update DEV team - just finishing the smoothing groups vid - that will keep Lewis placated for a few weeks at least :D
VDB stuff is a great addition and that's coming from some heavy houdini / 3D printing usage over the past few months.

Chuck
01-22-2019, 05:30 PM
For whatever reason, the trial key generated by Newtek isn't being accepted by my install of LW2019 here. I've confirmed the license key value is in the LICENSE.LWK file in the proper location for LW2019.0.0 (~/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/2019.0/Licenses/LICENSE.LWK), and that it matches the downloaded LICENSE.LWK's license key value, but regardless of what I do, launching Layout just puts up the following dialog (and stays in Discovery Mode afterwards):

This is on platform per sig (running OSX 10.13.6), and no, I don't have my old LW dongle currently attached.

Any ideas?

You need to enter a support case and work directly with the support - they will not be able to break away to respond here.

jwiede
01-22-2019, 05:33 PM
You need to enter a support case and work directly with the support - they will not be able to break away to respond here.

Already done (LWB-4573), just asking here in case anyone else had encountered and already found a solution.

sudac20
01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
It all clears up and becomes clearer now :)

Very nice to all improvements, I look forward to test all these features soon.

Thank you LW Team and NT for your great work !
I don't think Lightwave is quite in Houdini's league yet... Nice to see they are adding more modern features, not a bad update

sudac20
01-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Metamorphic keeps hard crashing for me... anyone else?

calilifestyle
01-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Is there any render speed increase or JUST more support for export/ interchange. I do see nodes improvements.

4dartist
01-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for the update. I can't wait to get completely migrated over to 2018 / 2019 and not have to worry about going back. Keep up the good work.

Norka
01-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Attention LW3DG Marketing: I found out about LW2019 on blenderartists.org an hour ago. Nothing today on Octane LW Forums, CGChannel.com, CGPRess.org, creativebloq.com... Didn't get an email from you...

Cobalt
01-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks Newtek! What a nice surprise! I just purchased without hesitation. Download, install and licensing ... no problem.

The first thing I checked out was the LW to Unreal bridge. The documentation was clear and I was able to send a few simple modeling iterations from LW directly into my test Unreal project with no problem.

jwiede
01-22-2019, 06:36 PM
I'd also be interested in knowing whether the Mac Metamorphic keyboard input bug (where keyboard commands to change brushes, etc. weren't working) has been fixed in LW2019?

I was able to test this for myself with the LW2019 trial. Unfortunately, it appears the problem I mentioned still exists in the Metamorphic plugin within LW2019 Mac64. For example, even with Metamorphic prop panel active, pressing "p" causes Layout's Properties panel window to open, instead of switching brush to Push/Pull as expected. While actively sculpting on main viewport, pressing "p" has exact same effect (opens Layout's Property panel).

erikals
01-22-2019, 06:38 PM
nothing today on Octane LW Forums, CGChannel.com, CGPRess.org, creativebloq.com... Didn't get an email from you...
yes, NT should send info to those (just sent the info to CGChannel.com)

also, didn't get an email regarding LW2019, anyone else?

Modeler updates next? (Rounder/Chamfer, Realtime-Tools, "HardOps", UCS, "Polygon Islands" and SpeedUp) ++

adk
01-22-2019, 06:43 PM

also, didn't get an email regarding LW2019, anyone else?

Yeah I got zero email / notification from NT (which is weird) and found it on twitter this morning from Juanjo Gonzalez.

raymondtrace
01-22-2019, 06:50 PM
Attention LW3DG Marketing: I found out about LW2019 on blenderartists.org an hour ago. Nothing today on Octane LW Forums, CGChannel.com, CGPRess.org, creativebloq.com... Didn't get an email from you...

There is some merit to staged announcements. A press release has been published and is likely distributed to trade media by now.

Cobalt
01-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Too bad there's not a "Questionable Software Marketing Techniques" section on this forum ... though it would likely crash the server. In the meantime, I'm super happy to see the LW 2019 update and looking forward to digging in at work tomorrow.

erikals
01-22-2019, 07:36 PM
In the meantime, I'm super happy to see the LW 2019 update and looking forward to digging in at work tomorrow.
certainly a very positive thing. might be that we're getting yearly updates now.

here's for 2020 https://i.imgur.com/xKAj3vM.gif

adk
01-22-2019, 07:43 PM
here's for 2020 https://i.imgur.com/xKAj3vM.gif

Steady there erikals ... it could also be Trump's re-election year :D:D:D

erikals
01-22-2019, 07:52 PM
i welcome it, for laughs that is...   https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

while dad just gets furious and annoyed watching the news. https://i.imgur.com/bcwLfNX.gif

GraphXs
01-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Congrats LW Team! 2019 is a wonderful upgrade! Glad to be apart of it! Thanks for all the hard work! The Unreal Bridge is so freaking cool! Finally smoothing groups! WOOT!

Bernie2Strokes
01-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Same here, but I found out through their Facebook page and NT forums first. I would have also liked an e-mail because I'd rely on that more for updates than going to my account page. But it's good they announced it on their own sites prior to industry news sites.

ernesttx
01-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Playing around with 2019 is great. I do have one question: What is the secret to the new IKIF+ Rig? In modeler, I set it up just like other Genoma rigs, and put skelegons on 1st layer and save model. In Layout, load model, make sure I'm on first layer w/ skelegons, hit Create Rig, all goes through good. However, mesh is not deformed when moving controllers. I check and Enable Deform is on, Enable MC, etc. I can even select root and move and rotate model and mesh transforms. But, nothing moves w/ arms, legs, waist, etc. Is there something else to enable? Looks like a great rig otherwise. Thanks in advance.

OFF
01-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Hehe, it was my request for VDB's own tools in LW - give me a discount for this! :king: ))

Question on denoiser - how can i choose which GPU and how many of them will work in denoiser?

Bernie2Strokes
01-22-2019, 10:23 PM
Only checked the vdb tools presentation from oliver, great stuff in there, and a lot of what I have asked for.
Finally we now have a way to turn any mesh shape in to volumetrics, and also nice to see the advection node to distort the volume fully, scattering of particles on this also reminds me of secondary scattering shapes in houdini Cloudfx.

And the gas solver...what? a way of simulating fluid like stuff natively..though different technique and not a true fluid solution that reacts to obstacles, but interesting.

Native sky environment, Great...asked for that for some time.

Nodes..fixed AA, Finally the connections looks smoother and professional.

Have no time to try the new 2019 out for weeks though, the new tools (may) open up for much more designed clouds from my perspective.
Thanks to oliver for presenting it so well.

I haven't tried OpenVDB yet. But is this a better method for effects focused on having solid objects moving through particles or volumetric effects? For example if I wanted moving fog to disperse around a moving character, is this better?

Philbert
01-22-2019, 10:58 PM

I wouldn't get too excited for CG Channel to share the news.

Lito
01-22-2019, 11:17 PM
It's kind of weird, I saw the other closed topic and thought "wait really?" I think this was the first time we didn't have a thread on this forum months in advanced of the impeding release where everyone was guessing "I bet it's coming out next week." :D

Congrats to the NT team on the release and releasing it before the guess the 2019 release date thread started. ;)

wingzeta
01-22-2019, 11:19 PM
Wow! This is a big step for game production in LW. Basically the key features that were missing for game asset prep: better UV tools, smoothing groups, and what appears to be a, ready for prime-time, bridge to Unreal, not to mention the other new features. If this stuff works as advertised, a lot of Max and Maya renters may be able to become owners. These were "the" hangups that kept LW from being able to drop in to a lot of pipelines. All the new features look great. Some cool stuff I was not expecting. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP. Cheers LW3DG! Keep up the good work.

Nomen140
01-22-2019, 11:36 PM
No unity material?

gdkeast
01-23-2019, 12:12 AM
We are committed to LightWave for the long haul, so we are thinking and working toward developing and moving to a sustainable business model.

This is the most important thing to me and I'm very glad to know this. With LightWave approaching its 30th birthday next year, and so many great people involved in not only using the program but teaching it, it would be criminal to have it fade into obsolescence.

rustythe1
01-23-2019, 12:28 AM
pressed the request upgrade yesterday, STILL WAITING for email! TAKE MY MONEY many things apply to my current projects!

Mastoy
01-23-2019, 02:00 AM
Congrats on this nice release !
Well done team !

kolby
01-23-2019, 02:31 AM

Any ideas?

I have the same problem on win7 here.

BeeVee
01-23-2019, 03:25 AM
Wow! This is a big step for game production in LW. Basically the key features that were missing for game asset prep: better UV tools, smoothing groups, and what appears to be a, ready for prime-time, bridge to Unreal, not to mention the other new features. If this stuff works as advertised, a lot of Max and Maya renters may be able to become owners. These were "the" hangups that kept LW from being able to drop in to a lot of pipelines. All the new features look great. Some cool stuff I was not expecting. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP. Cheers LW3DG! Keep up the good work.

Best of all, and I believe unique to LightWave(?), is the fact that multiple LightWave seats can connect to the same Unreal scene so more than one person can be adding LightWave content to Unreal :)

B

AnimeJoex
01-23-2019, 03:57 AM
No unity material?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that came in the next major update. Maybe they had to focus their energy on getting the Unreal bridge stuff done first and making sure it was rock solid before trying to do the same with Unity. All speculation on my part. ;)

Skonk
01-23-2019, 04:58 AM
@Chuck

I'm trying to request educational upgrade pricing; which directs me to a contact form.

On submitting the completed form it just throws a server error.

Any ideas?

Ta.

James.

NewTek is pleased to announce the release of LightWave 3D® 2019, a new edition of the production-proven graphics and animation package that refines the artist’s workflow to make creation of complex, photo-real animation and imagery faster and more efficient. Leading the list of improvements are the revolutionary new integration tools with Unreal Engine for real time data transfer to the world’s leading game engine. The system performs automatic discovery to make the workflow entirely seamless.

Another major advance for LightWave users is the new Metamorphic system, which brings multipurpose animatable mesh sculpting and painting to Layout. Fully multi-threaded for fast operation, Metamorphic includes a wide range of brush options and controls, multiple animation modes, nonlinear interpolation, motion blur support and much more.

Additional Highlights:

New UV mapping and UDIM tile mapping tools and capabilities in Modeler
Smoothing Groups in Modeler for fine-tuned control of contours in models
Limited Bones mode
Set the number of bones that affect a given point to match the target game engine
Real-time optimizations to better match the bone system performance expected in game engines
Interchange Bridge for interactive FBX interchange; support for more FBX attributes
Shading Model Customization Tools
New Shape Primitives and tools
OpenVDB creation tools
Shading and Rendering Enhancements
Edge Shader Node simulates beveled or rounded edges without geometry
Patina Node adds wear and dirt to surfaces to give your world that lived-in look
Procedural Shader Node wraps classic LightWave™ procedural textures for Node Editor
NVIDIA OptiX™ Denoising for still images (requires NVIDIA graphics card)
Despike can reduce or eliminate artifacts for a render that has “fireflies”
Scientifically-accurate Physical Sky shader and SunLight light type.
Workflow and UI:
Display Scaling Options for high-resolution monitors and multiple monitor setups
Expanded Layout Undo System
Popup Menus now support mouse wheel, navigation keys, search and more
Node Graph controls for grid size, snap to grid, grid brightness and color, Tidy Nodes
Online Documentation adapts to the screen format of any device
“Managed portal” licensing option for large facilities. Purchase by special arrangement.

Availability & Pricing
LightWave 3D 2019 for Windows and Mac OS is available now for USMSRP $995.

Registered owners of any previous version of LightWave 3D can upgrade to LightWave 2019 for US$395, through March 31, 2019.

LightWave owners who are eligible for special pricing under the terms of a previous purchase will need to contact LightWave Customer Services directly for their purchase arrangements.

International pricing may vary.

Educational pricing is also available. Visit www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/ to purchase or to locate an authorized LightWave reseller.

New Features Page (with videos) (https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/)

LightWave 3D 2019 Tutorials (https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/tutorials/)

VermilionCat
01-23-2019, 05:09 AM
Solid release! Overall performance is a lot better than 2018 especially for VPR response!

Nomen140
01-23-2019, 05:10 AM
same account error as above!

fishhead
01-23-2019, 05:22 AM
yep, here as well...
probably a good sign as apparently the whole world seems to wish to upgrade today and send money to NT ;-}

vncnt
01-23-2019, 05:43 AM
This update is a surprise!

Would the "Display Scaling" feature enable the development of a future zoom/pan feature in the Camera viewport?
Or a "Zoom Limited Region" maybe?

BeeVee
01-23-2019, 07:37 AM
This update is a surprise!

Would the "Display Scaling" feature enable the development of a future zoom/pan feature in the Camera viewport?
Or a "Zoom Limited Region" maybe?

If the Display Scaling you're talking about is what I think it is, then it's only for the interface elements.

B

ianr
01-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Looks sexy, I say Wavedini here we come ,

great work, from great listening.

Big Kudos to all you Devs

mummyman
01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
That's not a question we can answer for you here, if you mean that you have a discount based on the terms of a previous purchase. You'll need to contact LightWave Customer Services for that information. We're honoring any terms we've previously set forth, but that's not something we're going to try to work through with people on the forums or on social media.

Hmmm I'd like to know the same thing about my upgrade price. But logging into my account and trying to submit a 'contact us' question about my account / version upgrade leads me to an error page. Couldn't get it to work. Would I have to call NT to get this info?

Ha.. .sorry.. didn't see others had the same issue. I was lazy and didn't read.

creacon
01-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Nice to see that the OpenVDB implementation supports a lot of the OpenVDB functionality.

I implemented the filters and the CSG in my own plugin a long time ago, but it would be a lot nicer if I could just create the levelset and let LW (or the user) take it from there. In the video there is also an input/output for a particle system, is this documented anywhere? Are these the "classic" LW particle systems?

thanks

creacon

OnlineRender
01-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Im having issue with applying for a discount "sorry, an error occurred" and registering the trial... i'll wait a few days #mantears

speismonqui
01-23-2019, 08:54 AM

I was thinking the same but...http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/01/newtek-ships-lightwave-2019/

Chuck
01-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Already done (LWB-4573), just asking here in case anyone else had encountered and already found a solution.

I should have known. :) And if I do hear anything I'll share here.

3dworks
01-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Im having issue with applying for a discount "sorry, an error occurred" and registering the trial... i'll wait a few days #mantears

same here...

Chuck
01-23-2019, 09:08 AM

The email will be going out in a few days. We typically do a rollout over time, such that services can keep up with the demand. Yesterday was press release to press contacts, public announcements on our forum, social media and blog. We also appreciate when members of the community share to the locations they frequent to help the news spread further.

bitshift
01-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Nice to see that the OpenVDB implementation supports a lot of the OpenVDB functionality.

I implemented the filters and the CSG in my own plugin a long time ago, but it would be a lot nicer if I could just create the levelset and let LW (or the user) take it from there. In the video there is also an input/output for a particle system, is this documented anywhere? Are these the "classic" LW particle systems?

thanks

creacon

Yes the particle system in OpenVDB nodes input/outputs uses the "classic" LW particle system with position, size, velocity, enable, etc. A particleFX system can be also selected as a source.

creacon
01-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Thanks,

I already have functionality in my plugin that copies my own buffers to a LW particle system, and I know how to create a node input/output. But where can I find the SDK docs for that?

creacon

Yes the particle system in OpenVDB nodes input/outputs uses the "classic" LW particle system with position, size, velocity, enable, etc. A particleFX system can be also selected as a source.

beverins
01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
same here...

+1 - tried all the "contact us" links in fact.... Seems like the server is down.

bitshift
01-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Thanks,

I already have functionality in my plugin that copies my own buffers to a LW particle system, and I know how to create a node input/output. But where can I find the SDK docs for that?

creacon

We will get those added to the docs.
The nodes use a custom ID for vendorID and typeID.
LWID particleSystemID = LWID_('P', 'S', 'Y', 'S');
outputfuncs->createCustom(nodeid, NOT_CUSTOM, "Particle System", vendorID, particleSystemID);
linputfuncs->createCustom(node, NOT_CUSTOM, "Particle System", NodeInputEventF, vendorID, particleSystemID);

The other LWIDs.

LWID vendorID = LWID_(' ', 'V', 'D', 'B');
LWID typeID = LWID_('X', 'K', 'C', 'D');
LWID gridID = LWID_('G', 'R', 'I', 'D');
LWID vectorgridID = LWID_('V', 'G', 'I', 'D');

Chuck
01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Is there any render speed increase or JUST more support for export/ interchange. I do see nodes improvements.

For the renderer itself the concentration was on stability.

jaf
01-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Kind of sad day for me. I'm on a fixed income and a hobbyist and can't afford (justify) the $395 now, so then is 2020 comes out next year it would likely be $995. An then I get the Allegorithmic is now Adobe email......

creacon
01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Exactly what I was looking for :-) I'll give it a try.

creacon

We will get those added to the docs.
The nodes use a custom ID for vendorID and typeID.
LWID particleSystemID = LWID_('P', 'S', 'Y', 'S');
outputfuncs->createCustom(nodeid, NOT_CUSTOM, "Particle System", vendorID, particleSystemID);
linputfuncs->createCustom(node, NOT_CUSTOM, "Particle System", NodeInputEventF, vendorID, particleSystemID);

The other LWIDs.

LWID vendorID = LWID_(' ', 'V', 'D', 'B');
LWID typeID = LWID_('X', 'K', 'C', 'D');
LWID gridID = LWID_('G', 'R', 'I', 'D');
LWID vectorgridID = LWID_('V', 'G', 'I', 'D');

Chuck
01-23-2019, 10:09 AM
@Chuck

I'm trying to request educational upgrade pricing; which directs me to a contact form.

On submitting the completed form it just throws a server error.

Any ideas?

Ta.

James.

Just to be sure, is this the form throwing the error for you?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/educational_inquiries/full/150622/ (https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/educational_inquiries/full/150622/)

Dan Ritchie
01-23-2019, 10:14 AM
The node editor aa is very welcome! I wasn't expecting to have happy feelings about grid snap, but that's really nice in nodal.

Kevin_P
01-23-2019, 10:21 AM

https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/educational_inquiries/full/150622/ (https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/educational_inquiries/full/150622/)

I am also receiving the error at this location as well as just submitting an email support question:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/upgrade_request/ (add software IDhere)

Skonk
01-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Yes, thats the one.

Nicolas Jordan
01-23-2019, 10:45 AM
Are there any bug fixes included in this release fixing bugs that were in 2018.0.7?

beverins
01-23-2019, 10:56 AM

I tried it again - works now! Thanks Much :-D

Chuck
01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
I was able to test this for myself with the LW2019 trial. Unfortunately, it appears the problem I mentioned still exists in the Metamorphic plugin within LW2019 Mac64. For example, even with Metamorphic prop panel active, pressing "p" causes Layout's Properties panel window to open, instead of switching brush to Push/Pull as expected. While actively sculpting on main viewport, pressing "p" has exact same effect (opens Layout's Property panel).

From the documentation:

The Windows version of Metamorphic has the keyboard modifiers/shortcuts and graphics tablet support listed in the documentation. While Metamorphic is open, keyboard events will be captured and checked against the listed shortcuts. This means that typing in other applications might be affected.

Keyboard shortcuts and graphics tablet support have not been implemented in MacOS.

Object Properties blinking when you add Metamorphic is expected. Normally, adding a plugin drops it at the end of the list of modifiers, but Metamorphic has to be placed just before Subdivision so the Object Properties panel needs to be refreshed.

erikals
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM

why, they are actually quite Pro LightWave...

NewTek ships LightWave 2019
http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/01/newtek-ships-lightwave-2019

Chuck
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
I am also receiving the error at this location as well as just submitting an email support question:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/upgrade_request/ (add software IDhere)

The web team is working on resolving the issues with the contact forms...

pinkmouse
01-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Keyboard shortcuts and graphics tablet support have not been implemented in MacOS.

Ah well, and there I was thinking this actually looks like the version worth spending money on. This attitude of Mac doesn't matter is really off-putting.

Chuck
01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Ah well, and there I was thinking this actually looks like the version worth spending money on. This attitude of Mac doesn't matter is really off-putting.

Please rest assured that is not the attitude of the team toward Mac. Our apologies for the frustration, but some things work very differently between the platforms, and it sometimes does takes us longer to work out a solution on one platform or the other, depending on the issue. In this case, aspects of the current architecture of Layout also need to be addressed in order to make the issue more fully resolvable on both platforms.

CaptainMarlowe
01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
TBH, I have been using metamorphic a lot for mac on 2018 and while the fact that the non-working shortcuts is a bit annoying as you have to click the tools instead of shortcuts, it is not a showstopper either. This said, that doesn't mean Newtek has not to work on getting the Mac version on par with Window's, of course.

MarcusM
01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Anyone who purchased within the last 30 days should contact LightWave Customer Support, as that is within the grace period, LightWave 2019 is yours.

Thank you. I have now two 2019 licences in my account :)

fablefox
01-23-2019, 11:44 AM
I have been in the Houdini and Blender worlds for awhile but I feel LW calling me home again.:D

I'm feeling the same too. Downloading the trial now.

Curly_01
01-23-2019, 11:50 AM
I have a feature request for LW 2020. Can we also mail RFE -> requests for enhancements? The sidefx guys allow you to submit RFE's. It would be nice to have a mail to submit these. You could then do what you like with them.

I've always liked TAFA. For facial animation it's great. Could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease get it in LW 2019.1.2 or in LW 2020.

http://ta-animation.com/FA/

Chuck
01-23-2019, 12:16 PM
I have a feature request for LW 2020. Can we also mail RFE -> requests for enhancements? The sidefx guys allow you to submit RFE's. It would be nice to have a mail to submit these. You could then do what you like with them.

I've always liked TAFA. For facial animation it's great. Could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease get it in LW 2019.1.2 or in LW 2020.

http://ta-animation.com/FA/

Actually the Feedback Agent let's you submit both bugs and feature requests.

Farhad_azer
01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Thanks NT, Thanks LightWave and Thanks LightWavers.

Curly_01
01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
I very much appreciate the FBX and the " play well with others software" mentality. Lightwave is the first package I've learned and for some reason I keep coming back to it. I like the Lightwave - Houdini combo. Because both packages are each other opposites. Lightwave is very fast in doing 80-90 procent of the job and for the specialized 10- 20 procent you can still use Houdini. That's why I appreciate the "play well with other" mentality. I also like the bug fixing and the fact that Newtek is committed to the software. For small teams or individual artists it's still the best package around. I'm probably going to upgrade. Thanks for this upgrade. Thumbs up.

kolby
01-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Any news about nonfunctional trial keys ?

jasonwestmas
01-23-2019, 01:55 PM
You knew my weakness for animated sculpting didn't you NT =P. . .damn it.

Marander
01-23-2019, 01:56 PM
For the renderer itself the concentration was on stability.

While the render speed itself might have not improved, using the NVidia OptiX GPU denoiser and Despike makes a big difference in my first tests - noise and firefly free renders in shorter time compared to 2018.

wyattharris
01-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Awaiting my discount code. Fantastic feature list.
I saw the videos hitting Youtube but figured I'd check it out today. Pleasant surprise.

rustythe1
01-23-2019, 02:18 PM
and thank you for the bug fixes, band glue is back to its good old speed (appears to be the old implementation as it no longer selects edges after running, but only takes a second to run instead of mins or hours!)
De noise can be a massive speed up depending on scene! just tested a render that had to run for around 2 hrs as it was interior mostly made of conductors, cut it to less than half an hr!

rustythe1
01-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Awaiting my discount code. Fantastic feature list.
I saw the videos hitting Youtube but figured I'd check it out today. Pleasant surprise.

check in your ticket submissions in your account, I didn't get email but the link was already in there

kopperdrake
01-23-2019, 02:31 PM
check in your ticket submissions in your account, I didn't get email but the link was already in there

Ticket Submissions? I don't have that link - guess I've never submitted any tickets!

But I'm also getting either the "504 ERROR" or "Sorry, an error occurred." error when I hit the "Submit Discount Request" button for a specific licence. Time to wait a few days I guess.

wesleycorgi
01-23-2019, 02:31 PM

Thanks for that tip! They need to make that clearer. I was beginning to think LW/Newtek didn't want my money after trying a few times.

wesleycorgi
01-23-2019, 02:39 PM
It's in your Lightwave Profile under Reports in the right column. Look at it as if you were checking on a bug report.

dlvphoto
01-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Any news about nonfunctional trial keys ?

Wondering what's up with that myself. Did all the usual dances with configure unset/set, etc... still no luck.

Scott

gdkeast
01-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Thanks so much for clarifying that. I was actually waiting for an email, then saw the response right there.

pbaroque20
01-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Very impressed with the direction this is going! I'm beginning to see a very bright future and a comeback. Modeler needs a little push as Layout has been given a lot of love and labor, but that's okay. All of these updates are significant.

Tim Parsons
01-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Yes - looks like a great update. Is it just me or is the text in the Node Editor blurry? The UV tools look nice and they have their own tab now. Nice. Not a big fan of some of the new icons, especially the little drop carrot and the little spinner widgets. Easy enough to get used to though I suppose. :)

OFF
01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Much faster FFX OGL! But I found new bug in Modeler - Array doesn't work in Z axis - only X an Y.

js33
01-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Non functional Trial keys?

Dodgy
01-23-2019, 10:59 PM
Much faster FFX OGL! But I found new bug in Modeler - Array doesn't work in Z axis - only X an Y.

Both Arrays are working in the Y direction for me.

OFF
01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Both Arrays are working in the Y direction for me.

Yes, you are right. but it would be better if the tool worked in all directions.

Dodgy
01-24-2019, 12:03 AM
Sorry, I misread. It's working in all directions for me.

OFF
01-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Do you mean that you can do, for example, a spiral staircase in any direction?

kolby
01-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Wondering what's up with that myself. Did all the usual dances with configure unset/set, etc... still no luck.

Scott

Same here since yesterday. Tried everything which comes to mind. Uninstall, delete all configs, reinstall, run as administrator, remove older versions, clean registry ... no luck. Still discovery mode.

Nomen140
01-24-2019, 12:34 AM
Same here since yesterday. Tried everything which comes to mind. Uninstall, delete all configs, reinstall, run as administrator, remove older versions, clean registry ... no luck. Still discovery mode.

same here as well!

achilles
01-24-2019, 12:35 AM
Hallo. Can you tell me if is there a way to make LW2019 interface fonts biggerr?
I have problem to read them. In LW2018 there is a different view resolution.
Thanks143938143939

achilles
01-24-2019, 12:39 AM
Sorry. Solved modifying DPI compatibility on program launch.

gar26lw
01-24-2019, 02:20 AM
same here as well!

same.

Shloime
01-24-2019, 02:32 AM
Quite happy here about the new version... but what happened to the beloved point updates? No 2018.1?
If a yearly full grade update becomes the new rule, then it will be quite expensive for hobbyists. I'm not sure if my wife allows me to spend 395.- $ each year for LightWave....

Don't get me wrong, the new features seem to be worth a version update, but on the other hand there were no updates for years, and now we get new features every year for full price... so I guess I have to wait for 2020 to buy a new version, hoping that it will then still be allowed to upgrade from any older version, not only the most recent one.

gar26lw
01-24-2019, 02:45 AM
whats with the non-text based UI ?

https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143940&d=1548323013

What is going on with the UI/UX nowadays?

This stuff is really hard to read and "Undo" / " Redo" worked really well.

MarcusM
01-24-2019, 02:53 AM
Quite happy here about the new version... but what happened to the beloved point updates? No 2018.1?
If a yearly full grade update becomes the new rule, then it will be quite expensive for hobbyists. I'm not sure if my wife allows me to spend 395.- $ each year for LightWave....

Don't get me wrong, the new features seem to be worth a version update, but on the other hand there were no updates for years, and now we get new features every year for full price... so I guess I have to wait for 2020 to buy a new version, hoping that it will then still be allowed to upgrade from any older version, not only the most recent one.

It is like this with every spend which do not bring income later. It is just a cost. But look from full time artist point of view... 395$ it is several hours or days costs of work. And rest days in year is earning. BTW. if I would tell my woman do not spend money on eyelashes, eyebrow, manicure, haircut, next purse or shoes I would be deeeaaad :p
(With respect for money, every $, EUR etc. or PLN in my example count)

kolby
01-24-2019, 02:56 AM
whats with the non-text based UI ?

https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143940&d=1548323013

What is going on with the UI/UX nowadays?

This stuff is really hard to read and "Undo" / " Redo" worked really well.

I agree

gar26lw
01-24-2019, 03:31 AM

I feel part of the upgrade is bug fixes. I really would have liked to see some of the UI fixed up for this release.
Denoiser and spike remover are cool, GPU slows the computer down for me something terrible when activated at first. Not sure if its due to other apps using GPU too? I don't want to come across as cynical as its nice to see an update but I fell that the denoiser and spike removal are also almost bug fixes for the renderer in terms of speed/usability and artefacts.
Actually downgraded to 2015 from 2018 this week and man its so much better in terms of render speed for look dev and the surf ed UI is better for workflow. I also much prefer lwo loading in 3rd party apps. Was hoping this version would fix things like that up a bit.

Its still a nice to see; good job. don't wanna be disheartening.

Philbert
01-24-2019, 03:53 AM
I also appreciate that most development efforts went into Layout instead of Modeler.

That's what they always do, with the exception of 11.5. I'd appreciate it if some more went into Modeler.

Philbert
01-24-2019, 04:00 AM
I was thinking the same but...http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/01/newtek-ships-lightwave-2019/

Oh I mixed up the names, I was thinking of CG Society.

OFF
01-24-2019, 04:04 AM

I think the same thing. After all, apart from LW, each of us has annual payments for various other programs that are necessary in our work. In sum a rather impressive figure is typed.
I really hope that if the company decided to switch to the annual release system for new versions, the cost of the update will be reduced.

gar26lw
01-24-2019, 04:33 AM
I think the same thing. After all, apart from LW, each of us has annual payments for various other programs that are necessary in our work. In sum a rather impressive figure is typed.
I really hope that if the company decided to switch to the annual release system for new versions, the cost of the update will be reduced.

or increased and more features added. Id be happy with that if the pace of dev was x3

Romizer
01-24-2019, 05:06 AM
Jubell!! Thanks NewTek!

Philbert
01-24-2019, 05:27 AM

Yeah I had that same issue. No email came and I was starting to wonder about it until I decided to double check and found it on the site.

Marander
01-24-2019, 06:49 AM
That's what they always do, with the exception of 11.5. I'd appreciate it if some more went into Modeler.

Yes I understand this from a LW-only user point of view.

I have purchased most available Modeler plugins including LWCAD and 3rd Powers Tools, but that was before I understood how outdated and inefficient Modeler it is. I found my ideal 3d application and workflow and can not imagine Modeler ever reaching that level. The 'new' modeling tools in LW2018 are proof enough to me.

For Layout I see great potential in some areas (for example special effects or rendering), specially after the 2019 release.

Undo, improved navigation in lists and nodal VDB creation was reason enough for me to upgrade on release day.

I look at LightWave / Layout as a tool like Clarisse.

In my opinion NewTek should concentrate on implementing basic modeling in Layout instead (primitives, translate, bevel).

Also, further improving its render engine could be a great opportunity since more and more render engines are going rental-only.

Axis3d
01-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Thanks for that tip! They need to make that clearer. I was beginning to think LW/Newtek didn't want my money after trying a few times.

Same here. Ticket submissions? When logged in to the account, I click on "View Report List" on the right hand column. which lists 2 reports that say "(CST-743651) STORE: Discount Request from xxx xxxx".

But there is no link to an actual download. Chuck? Anybody? This shouldn't be that hard.

Philbert
01-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Who's a LightWave-only user?

RPSchmidt
01-24-2019, 07:52 AM

I have purchased most available Modeler plugins including LWCAD and 3rd Powers Tools, but that was before I understood how outdated and inefficient Modeler it is. I found my ideal 3d application and workflow and can not imagine Modeler ever reaching that level. The 'new' modeling tools in LW2018 are proof enough to me.

For Layout I see great potential in some areas (for example special effects or rendering), specially after the 2019 release.

Undo, improved navigation in lists and nodal VDB creation was reason enough for me to upgrade on release day.

In my opinion NewTek should concentrate on implementing basic modeling in Layout instead (primitives, translate, bevel).

Also, further improving its render engine could be a great opportunity since more and more render engines are going rental-only.

I think that as a community of users, we keep making assumptions about what the current group of developers are and are not going to do.

I'm saying that only as a preface to say, we shouldn't assume that there are no improvements to Modeler on their internal schedule.

Only two days ago, we had no idea they were going to drop 2019.

RPSchmidt
01-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Who's a LightWave-only user?

I am, pretty much. I have 3d Studio Max, but every time I go back to it for something, it feels clunky.

That might change in the future, but for the work I do now, Lightwave is a very competent multi-tool that I can count on to get the job done.

Seriously looking forward to what this new development cycle brings us in the future.

Philbert
01-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Well, I will agree, max is clunky.

Marander
01-24-2019, 09:05 AM
I think that as a community of users, we keep making assumptions about what the current group of developers are and are not going to do.

I'm saying that only as a preface to say, we shouldn't assume that there are no improvements to Modeler on their internal schedule.

Only two days ago, we had no idea they were going to drop 2019.

No idea who the devs are and what they're going to do or not. What I do see is the gap between Modeler and what other applications provide today and I believe it's too large to overcome in reasonable amount of time even with a large development team.

If modeling tools can be developed in LightWave that are up to current standards, then yes that would be great. I'd prefer if they do that in Layout, even if it's a very limited toolset (but done well). That could be built up during several releases.

I hope NewTek doesn't put more development efforts in modeling tools like the ones introduced in LW2018.

Also I wish that the developers would focus more on user experience / ease of use. For example the new VDB tools are great to have in LW and lot of new things are possible but why was there not just a button implemented to create a VDB object from a mesh. Well Oliver did it. One could script his own button or connect the same grid nodes together every time. Well, important is that the functionality is there but it could be more user friendly. The same for display scaling, works great but c'mon why is there no setting in the Display Properties.

Just my opinion of course, I'm fine with the direction LW is going right now but I do see that there are other users' needs.

Dan Ritchie
01-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Only now notices that the icons are redone. Very nice subtle touch.

ianr
01-24-2019, 09:49 AM
No idea who the devs are and what they're going to do or not. What I do see is the gap between Modeler and what other applications provide today and I believe it's too large to overcome in reasonable amount of time even with a large development team.

If modeling tools can be developed in LightWave that are up to current standards, then yes that would be great. I'd prefer if they do that in Layout, even if it's a very limited toolset (but done well). That could be built up during several releases.

I hope NewTek doesn't put more development efforts in modeling tools like the ones introduced in LW2018.

Also I wish that the developers would focus more on user experience / ease of use. For example the new VDB tools are great to have in LW and lot of new things are possible but why was there not just a button implemented to create a VDB object from a mesh. Well Oliver did it. One could script his own button or connect the same grid nodes together every time. Well, important is that the functionality is there but it could be more user friendly. The same for display scaling, works great but c'mon why is there no setting in the Display Properties.

Just my opinion of course, I'm fine with the direction LW is going right now but I do see that there are other users' needs.

May I say that I agree with the second part, Lightwave's forte was to keep things disappearing into ' Klickiitus. '

Quite rightly, that must be adhered to more & more & remembered by the Devs I mean we need a VPR UNDOCK button

to see in the next maintenances.

May I say that I with the first part you are wrong,look at what 3rdpowers elegantly put out for modeler, what an injection.

And another one man band of viktor @ LWcad. 2guys did all , I know that Newtek are still wanting a modeler dev,

but its not that bleak , really what with Oliver's streamlining in OD Tools, I sure we will get there. Smoothing Groups

I like that, see it's not in surmountable or cut off from growth. We'll get there, they ARE listening.

jasonwestmas
01-24-2019, 10:17 AM

I have no problem at all using specialty software. If lightwave (or any other piece of software) does anything that is better than other software and I have a use for it, I will use it. I wouldn't mind at all separate modeling, animation and rendering environments. However, the pricing model has to be right for that to happen. I can't rent or sub every piece of software as a generalist person, the pricing is stupid and ridiculous.

I say this because I'm glad Newtek haven't fallen into this category yet. Several other small and large companies are pushing now for 600+ dollars a year for a single license for specialty software and even plugins now, give me a break. It doesn't make sense when you are a generalist or a part of a smaller company who needs generalists. Also software isn't the only thing we have to worry about. There are also hardware and maintenance issues to think about and staying up to date with all that.

I guess my point is that I want to be able to use software without being constantly charged for it and eventually pushed away from it just because I don't pay up every year. Yes I believe in supporting the developer but give me a reason ok?

Marander
01-24-2019, 10:18 AM
May I say that I agree with the second part, Lightwave's forte was to keep things disappearing into ' Klickiitus. '

Quite rightly, that must be adhered to more & more & remembered by the Devs I mean we need a VPR UNDOCK button

May I say that I with the first part you are wrong,look at what 3rdpowers elegantly put out for modeler, what an injection.

And another one man band of viktor @ LWcad. 2guys did all , I know that Newtek are still wanting a modeler dev,

but its not that bleak , really what with Oliver's streamlining in OD Tools, I sure we will get there. Smoothing Groups

I like that, see it's not in surmountable or cut off from growth. We'll get there, they ARE listening.

Thanks for your response ianr;

I agree that it's great what these developers achieved.

Nevertheless specially the 3rd Power tools only scratch the surface what's possible in other apps natively (LWBrush, Boolean, MetaMesh, HeatShrink, Weight Paint). LWCAD is not working well with native tools but replaces lots of them and is still not parametric.

Smoothing Groups, Edge Shader, Patina and other goodies yes, nice to have it in LW.

wyattharris
01-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Nothing yet but thanks for the heads up. Man, haven't submitted a ticket since 2015 lol.

Marander
01-24-2019, 10:39 AM
I have no problem at all using specialty software. If lightwave (or any other piece of software) does anything that is better than other software and I have a use for it, I will use it. I wouldn't mind at all separate modeling, animation and rendering environments. However, the pricing model has to be right for that to happen. I can't rent or sub every piece of software as a generalist person, the pricing is stupid and ridiculous.

I say this because I'm glad Newtek haven't fallen into this category yet. Several other small and large companies are pushing now for 600+ dollars a year for a single license for specialty software and even plugins now, give me a break. It doesn't make sense when you are a generalist or a part of a smaller company who needs generalists. Also software isn't the only thing we have to worry about. There are also hardware and maintenance issues to think about and staying up to date with all that.

I guess my point is that I want to be able to use software without being constantly charged for it and eventually pushed away from it just because I don't pay up every year. Yes I believe in supporting the developer but give me a reason ok?

Absolutely.

I personally don't mind paying for maintenance if the (perpetual) software doesn't use online activation or subscription (and if I see substantial improvements in their releases).

Unfortunately some software I use are now rental-only (Vue xStream, Vray) or might soon be (thinking of Substance). The prices of all this monthly or yearly fees without ever owning a license is crazy.

The moment a software goes this direction I stop investing in it. That leaves more budget for software that have a user friendly licensing system.

ianr
01-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your response ianr;

I agree that it's great what these developers achieved.

Nevertheless specially the 3rd Power tools only scratch the surface what's possible in other apps natively (LWBrush, Boolean, MetaMesh, HeatShrink, Weight Paint). LWCAD is not working well with native tools but replaces lots of them and is still not parametric.

Smoothing Groups, Edge Shader, Patina and other goodies yes, nice to have it in LW.

Marander , having been a master draughtsman I dream of nested Dassualt cadtooling inside Lightwave.

That's the only softs that you put in a napkin sketch one end & out comes an built fully constructed

aircraft out at the other! Yes Really, much to Boeing Corp's chagrin, that was leaked to me long ago.

Then after a cross between a VR potterswheel & a replicator I am nudged by my woman with the first

cup of Morning Earl Gray Tea... Blues Skies & Tail-winds...........

jasonwestmas
01-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Absolutely.

I personally don't mind paying for maintenance if the (perpetual) software doesn't use online activation or subscription (and if I see substantial improvements in their releases).

Unfortunately some software I use are now rental-only (Vue xStream, Vray) or might soon be (thinking of Substance). The prices of all this monthly or yearly fees without ever owning a license is crazy.

The moment a software goes this direction I stop investing in it. That leaves more budget for software that have a user friendly licensing system.

Yeah, I like chaosgroup but it appears that perpetual upgrades are going away there as well. That means I have to use arnold with my one and only perpetual maya/ maintenance license (that has the price going up every year) or use the new lightwave render. I keep maya around because of the animation tools but using lightwave for other stuff might be a good thing. It's kind of like it was 10 years ago again. The difference is that most software now has no upgrade options anymore only pay-up or else you loose it mentality.

If Lightwave comes up with heavy character animation support I would definitely drop my annual $700 maya maintenance fee. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be priority here.

SBowie
01-24-2019, 11:28 AM
I would like to suggest keeping this thread on topic - i.e., discussing 2019, and related matters. If someone wants to discuss their personal wishes for 2020, marketing, etc., etc., lets use other threads.

jasonwestmas
01-24-2019, 11:30 AM
I would like to suggest keeping this thread on topic - i.e., discussing 2019, and related matters. If someone wants to discuss their personal wishes for 2020, marketing, etc., etc., lets use other threads.

Roger dodger. Anyone use the animated sculpting for corrective morphs yet?

Marander
01-24-2019, 11:36 AM

OK Sir.

@Ianr LOL good one. Over and out

cookepuss
01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
It used to be in 2015 & 2018 that the color changes I made to my UI in modeler would automatically take effect in Layout. Not happening in 2019. Odd. Am I missing something? I can set a 9.6-like color scheme in modeler, which my old eyes prefer, but have to stick with the default dark theme in layout.

wyattharris
01-24-2019, 12:04 PM
What's the backlog look like for the Upgrade Discounts? Requested yesterday but haven't seen anything yet. That way I'll know to stop hitting the refresh button. ;)

jwiede
01-24-2019, 12:37 PM
I would like to understand what all has changed for LW2019 in terms of what shading is supported in Modeler's OpenGL display, and what precise nodal surface configs are supported for OpenGL display in both Modeler and Layout (not incl. using the "OpenGL" input, as in what automatically gets shown) when viewport is set to a "Textured" mode?

I'm aware that image textures directly connected to "Color" surface input are displayed, but what (if any) other surfacing inputs can be displayed in Modeler (and Layout, if different)? Do they only support image-based textures, or also procedural textures?

js33
01-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Any word on non-functioning trial keys yet?

cookepuss
01-24-2019, 12:41 PM
@Wyatt: Odd. I asked for mine last night at around 4:53p, their time. And got it at around 7:30a, also their time. No apparent pattern in how they answer these upgrade discount requests. I'd hang tight. Selling to you isn't exactly going to fall off of their radar.

Regarding my Modeler/Layout color issue... It's TOTALLY weird. I had to rebuild the interface color scheme cfg manually in Modeler. Even then, the colors don't automatically transfer to Layout as they did in 2015 & 2018. I had to manually rebuild the color scheme to my liking there. Even odder? Unlike Modeler, you can't export your preferences in Layout, which meant that I had to physically backup all of my CFG files in case I have to restore my new default setup at some point in the future.

Maybe I'm missing something. It just seemed way easier in 2015 & 2018. Backed up one CFG. Restored one CFG. No jumping through hoops. I got my 2019 looking more like 9.6, but DAMN did it give me a hard time. :p

Chuck
01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Re: Trial Edition not accepting key:

The team is working on identifying and fixing the issue, but if you directly contact LightWave Support, they can generate you a 30-day key and get you going.

Re: Waiting to hear after pressing the "Request 2019 Upgrade Discount" button:

There was an issue with the system at first, but it seems that is now fixed, and yes, LightWave Support says they are getting "MASSIVE amounts" of requests.

If you tried early and it does not seem to have worked, you may need to try again, but first realize what the procedure is:

1. You hit the button to submit
2. LightWave Support will validate, and create a link
3. LightWave Support will email that link to you
4. You then click on the link

Potentially, your email server might be blocking their reply - please check filters and spam settings and folders.

Dillon
01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
This is heartening to read.

Seems that a lot of old / defunct LW users are retuning to the fold because of this release.

WELL DONE, NewTek!

Re: Trial Edition not accepting key:

The team is working on identifying and fixing the issue, but if you directly contact LightWave Support, they can generate you a 30-day key and get you going.

There was an issue with the system at first, but it seems that is now fixed, and yes, LightWave Support says they are getting "MASSIVE amounts" of requests.

If you tried early and it does not seem to have worked, you may need to try again, but first realize what the procedure is:

Potentially, your email server might be blocking their reply - please check filters and spam settings and folders.

Dan Ritchie
01-24-2019, 01:21 PM
I agree

I think it depends on your screen size and resolution if it is hard to read or not.

jaf
01-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Since Newtek does not announce their plans, it's a conflict budgeting future purchases. Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket? If I spend $395 now, I can't justify doing that again next year.

Dillon
01-24-2019, 01:52 PM
It's $295 to upgrade - from ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

This is an extremely generous offer, and to expect anything else is irrational. Name any other 3D vendor that does this.

Since Newtek does not announce their plans, it's a conflict budgeting future purchases. Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket? If I spend $395 now, I can't justify doing that again next year.

raymondtrace
01-24-2019, 01:55 PM
...Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket?

$995 is for a full license. While they can change their upgrade policy in the future, I cannot recall a time NT ever charged a full license price for someone that came to upgrade from an ancient release.

As suggested by the 2018 release, the initial upgrade price is for all previous versions until March 31, likely to bump to $495 afterward. Additionally, there may be other discounts that Newtek may offer if you are eligible: your account page on lightwave3d.com may reveal this.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/

Uncertain of the future, and if LW updates each year, you could upgrade every other year for an average yearly upgrade price of $200. Or upgrade every 4 years for an average yearly upgrade price of $100. If you really want to stagnate development, you could upgrade every decade. :)

Snosrap
01-24-2019, 01:55 PM

Where do you see this?

Dillon
01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Where do you see this?

I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

jasonwestmas
01-24-2019, 02:10 PM
never got that email lol.

Dillon
01-24-2019, 02:12 PM
An email wasn't sent out (as far as I know) yet. The announcement thread indicates the upgrade pricing. First post on this very thread.

never got that email lol.

raymondtrace
01-24-2019, 02:17 PM
...The announcement thread indicates the upgrade pricing. First post on this very thread.

The first post says $395. You might want to check a private message, a little late. :)

wyattharris
01-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the update Chuck. I figured out my issue. Once you click to request, you have to actually hit the Submit button. d'oh!
Being overloaded is a good problem to have.

BigHache
01-24-2019, 02:56 PM

I would second this. Speaking for myself, my LightWave license is used for my personal hobbies.
Not having any indication, at all, when a new version will be released is simply not budgetable. Then when it is released I have essentially two months to upgrade or just pay full price.
I understand this may matter less for a studio, or anyone else. Just speaking for me.

Now, the new stuff looks good and I am looking forward to upgrading and implementing into my project.

raymondtrace
01-24-2019, 03:02 PM
...when a new version will be released is simply not budgetable. Then when it is released I have essentially two months to upgrade or just pay full price...

This is not true. There is still upgrade pricing after the early promotion. The promotion likely just trims off $100. LW2018's upgrade price was $495 a few months ago.

BeeVee
01-24-2019, 03:16 PM
we need a VPR UNDOCK button to see in the next maintenances.

Hmm, you've had that since the first release of 2018... ;)

B

Qexit
01-24-2019, 03:23 PM
I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.That upgrade price only applies to existing owners of LW who have Charter Status or similar from earlier/previous upgrade deals....not everyone. If it applies, then there should be a 'Request Upgrade Discount' button on your account page to get the lower price. The regular upgrade price until the end of March is $395. My upgrade price will be £276 including 20% VAT as I qualify for the discount.

jaf
01-24-2019, 03:40 PM
It's pretty confusing. When I checked in my account yesterday it said v2019 $395. I purchased v2015 in April 2017 $395 and v2018 in January 2018. I thought I remembered reading you had to purchase the next version to keep your discounted price for the next future version (so you can't skip a version and retain your discount)? Maybe this isn't true -- so many different softwares/plans it's hard to keep everything straight.

[edit] I started at v9 in 2006. The button "Buy Lightwave Upgrade 2019 Now" in my account is where I got the $395 price.

cookepuss
01-24-2019, 03:41 PM

This is an extremely generous offer, and to expect anything else is irrational. Name any other 3D vendor that does this.
You're absolutely 100% right. This happened to me years ago when I was still a C4D user. I skipped the 11.5 point release as was happy enough with 11.0. Skipping an inexpensive sub-$500 point release meant that I was ineligible for upgrade pricing on 12.0 just a few months later. They wanted to charge me the (then) full $3,500 instead. After 8 or 9 years with them, that was the last straw for me. The message being, "Stay on the upgrade path... OR ELSE." Ridiculous.

NewTek's upgrade offer is extremely generous. How long it actually lasts in the real world is anybody's guess, but I certainly appreciate the gesture. Most other companies would not even go this far. In a world of subscriptions and obscene activation measures, I'm just happy that NewTek continues to offer dongle free perpetual licenses. Truly rare in 2019. This is why, regardless of my fondness for other apps like Blender, I will continue to support NewTek. Treat me well and I'll return the favor.

OnlineRender
01-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Hmm, you've had that since the first release of 2018... ;)

B

I made this video last week actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y0D8gUbNGg

Chuck
01-24-2019, 03:47 PM
I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

You are putting together pieces of two different things, the price you paid versus what the announcement said. They do not go together.

The announcement for 2019 says that the price from any previous version is $395 USMSRP, except if you are entitled to a lower price under the terms of a previous special purchase. If you bought the 2019 upgrade and were charged $295, that means you were entitled to that price under the terms of a previous purchase you made.

To clear up another narrative that seems to have cropped up from nowhere - no, when the introductory pricing ends, that does not mean owners of previous versions have to buy at full price of a new seat. We've never done that, and have no intention of ever doing so. We typically have had tiers, so for example there would be a price for those who upgrade from 2018, and a price for those upgrading from any earlier version. We'll have a specific announcement on that pricing before the introductory offer ends. (Just for reference, I think that it was $495 and $595 after the introductory offer last year, if I recall correctly.)

Dillon
01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Hmm. Interesting. Not sure why I was charged $295, then. I did have an educational license up until 2018. That might have something to do with the pricing.

The first post says $395. You might want to check a private message, a little late. :)

Dodgy
01-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Do you mean that you can do, for example, a spiral staircase in any direction?

Ah, I see what your problem is, you meant Radial array, and it's the offset which is screwing up. You can do a helix in the Y, but in the X and Z it becomes a spiral.

Signal to Noise
01-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Got around to installing 2019 tonight. Unfortunately license.lwk file isn't being recognized even in correct location. Sent CS a ticket. :(

[edit]: Turns out there was a stealth Windows 10 update that prevented a clean install of LW. After a lengthy OS update process I reinstalled LW and all worked fine for licensing. Yay!

CaptainMarlowe
01-24-2019, 10:26 PM
I have to wait until monday (same as some others, being an hobbyist, I have to put this in the family budget, so waiting for the next pay check :) ) for upgrading, I just can't wait to mess with VDBs and bridge to unreal. As for Metamorphic, I have already used it extensively as a third-party plug-in in 2018, so I know what to expect from it.

vncnt
01-24-2019, 11:50 PM
"Check for update" in LW2018.0.7 doesn't mention LW2019.

Maybe it should!
Preferably (optionally) at startup.

Oedo 808
01-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Smoothing groups and bone features are nice as well as the edge shader and an expanded undo system for Layout, weyhey. Got caught with my pants down having not yet upgraded to 2018 so that might be it for me and LightWave, but it's certainly good to see some of the changes for 2019, long may it continue.

vncnt
01-25-2019, 01:25 AM
If the Display Scaling you're talking about is what I think it is, then it's only for the interface elements.

B
I just submitted a feature request "VPR option Zoom Limited Region".

prometheus
01-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Would so like to try the 2019 version, but Ivé been having a case of long time flu, started in 21 december, got better, worse, got better, got worse, got better, and now even worse than before..except for maybe today..but I haven´t been sleeping for 3 days now, so even though I am home for illness, I just don´t have the energy to try it :(

Chuck
01-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Would so like to try the 2019 version, but Ivé been having a case of long time flu, started in 21 december, got better, worse, got better, got worse, got better, and now even worse than before..except for maybe today..but I haven´t been sleeping for 3 days now, so even though I am home for illness, I just don´t have the energy to try it :(

Wow! Hope you feel better soon! Rest and fluids...

Axis3d
01-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Well, apparantly there is bug with certain Mac OS operating systems where, after installation, LW Layout and modeler will not launch. Immediate crash. The technical team said they know about it and are working on it. The Mac OS I'm trying it on is 10.11.6.

Any mac users out there have luck installing and running it? Which OS was successful?

Philbert
01-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Feel better soon!

machbeowulf
01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
My first chance to express my thanks and congratulations to Newtek and all involved in the development in this release. I have only just started to explore but very much like what I have seen so far, especially with FBX - I am able to load scenes that I could not before and am grateful beyond words for just this !!! Great job !!! Great release !!!

kolby
01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
For those having problems with the trial key like me, write to CS, they will send you another key.

edit: sorry, unnecessary post.

Bill Carey
01-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Well, apparantly there is bug with certain Mac OS operating systems where, after installation, LW Layout and modeler will not launch. Immediate crash. The technical team said they know about it and are working on it. The Mac OS I'm trying it on is 10.11.6.

Any mac users out there have luck installing and running it? Which OS was successful?

No issues here with the latest Mohave. (Not at home so I can't list the version number)

eyelight
01-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Works just fine with 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Marander
01-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Oh that's not nice! I wish you a quick recovery!

Download LW2019 and make some nice clouds (or maybe OpenVDB anti-virus), you will be strong enough to finish off that flu once and for all :-)

Axis3d
01-25-2019, 10:22 AM
No issues here with the latest Mohave. (Not at home so I can't list the version number)

Thats good to know. Thanks. My home computer is running High Sierra - hopefully LW will install under that with no problem

vncnt
01-25-2019, 10:35 AM
I was injured this week because I was hit by a car. So I am very happy that I will be able to experience the launch of 2019 anyway.

Downloading right now!

Chris S. (Fez)
01-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Everything super snappy. Very pleased with progress in performance and stability. Love the dpi scaling and node editor UI polish.

jbrookes
01-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Nice to see the new features.

Sad to see hieroglyphics showing up on the interface though. Hopefully this isn't the direction the interface icons are going in.

Marander
01-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Nice to see the new features.

Sad to see hieroglyphics showing up on the interface though. Hopefully this isn't the direction the interface icons are going in.

Why? I like the subtle change in the icons.

Maybe the Undo / Redo buttons are a bit crowded with the shortcut and the symbol (the symbol would be enough for me) but for overall UI consistency I understand the shortcut needs to be shown.

rustythe1
01-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Why? I like the subtle change in the icons.

Maybe the Undo / Redo buttons are a bit crowded with the shortcut and the symbol (the symbol would be enough for me) but for overall UI consistency I understand the shortcut needs to be shown.

yes, it addressed the problems I had been having with UHD tvs as monitors, the mouse and icons would vanish , and icons would be too small, interface is much clearer now without the need for scaling

Dan Ritchie
01-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Looking for empty volume example...

- - - Updated - - -

Crash when adding a null object, selecting "empty volume" then "mesh"

Chuck
01-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Looking for empty volume example...

- - - Updated - - -

Crash when adding a null object, selecting "empty volume" then "mesh"

Hmmm. The steps to get to Empty Volume are:

Add Null
Open Properties Panel
Set Primitive type to Shape
Set Shape to Empty Volume

The only place that I can get to "Mesh" from "Empty Volume" is by going back up the panel and changing the Primitive Type from Shape to Mesh. Did that a bunch of times, no crash. Was that the steps you used? If so, please be sure to include your system configuration info as it may be something specific to your system and software.

jbrookes
01-25-2019, 04:51 PM

You know there's a work-around to get similar results to smoothing groups in pre-2019 versions of LightWave, right?

I do agree that it's nice to see things like OVDB implemented, plus enhancements to the UV workflow and to FBX/file interchange. It's also great that tutorials are ready at launch (would like to see one or two on the new UV tools though).

However, I'm not a big fan of the yearly release concept; it just isn't enough time to debug a program like this. Perhaps a two-year cycle would be better?

Render speeds still need a serious boost in order to keep post-production studios interested.

Regardless, there are significant new features here.

gclayton
01-25-2019, 08:49 PM
It's pretty confusing. When I checked in my account yesterday it said v2019 $395. I purchased v2015 in April 2017 $395 and v2018 in January 2018. I thought I remembered reading you had to purchase the next version to keep your discounted price for the next future version (so you can't skip a version and retain your discount)? Maybe this isn't true -- so many different softwares/plans it's hard to keep everything straight.

[edit] I started at v9 in 2006. The button "Buy Lightwave Upgrade 2019 Now" in my account is where I got the $395 price.

I chose not to upgrade to 2018 and I made an inquiry to Newtek as to whether I might still be eligible for the charter member upgrade and here is what I received:

"One of the conditions of maintaining Charter/PostCharter status was to keep up-to-date with releases.

You did not upgrade to 2018, therefore you have lost your charter status.

Good news is, that until March 31 you have the same upgrade price of $395 that you would have if you had maintained status.

After March 31, the upgrade price will change to $595 for LightWave 2015 owners.

Thank you for your report.
--
LightWave 3D Group Support"

Philbert
01-25-2019, 09:37 PM
I was injured this week because I was hit by a car. So I am very happy that I will be able to experience the launch of 2019 anyway.

Downloading right now!

Ouch! I hope you're alright!

OFF
01-25-2019, 09:56 PM

We have the same. Diseases have become different. Previously, if we fell ill - two or three days and we are healthy. And now the diseases go on for weeks. Slowly develop, slowly leave. This is not an age - in children now is the same.

Paul_Boland
01-26-2019, 02:08 AM

lardbros
01-26-2019, 02:41 AM
But Paul... Will their pricing scheme ever be right?
I was a hobbyist and just one freelance job a year would pay for LightWave easily.
They have a lot of developers to pay wages to, and a lot of ground to make up for, in terms of where LightWave is right now, so I don't begrudge paying to assist development, and pay the developers.

If it's too much for every year, you can upgrade every other year instead maybe? It'll be the same price.

kolby
01-26-2019, 03:53 AM

I did a few tests. 2019 seems to be a bit faster. Mostly around 10 percent. In some cases about 20.

Marander
01-26-2019, 04:42 AM
I would like to add my voice to the yearly/price releases of Lightwave. For me, a new version upgrade of Lightwave is €400 odd, that’s a month’s income for me. If Lightwave is going to be getting a yearly new release, as a hobbyist this leaves me out in the cold. Put simply, someone said in an earlier post here that they are happy that Newtek does standalone software releases vs subscription based as is becoming the norm in the I.T. world today. Buy a year release is basically a €400 yearly subscription. For $250 a year I get Houdini!! Something to think about...

Paul, do you mean €400 income per month from your 3D hobby work? Otherwise I wonder how you survive.

If you have LW2018 that it should be less than €400 with the discount offer. I agree with lardbros, one job or a day of work would easily pay for the upgrade.

Yes, Houdini has the best subscription offer of all of them but it's still rental only, when you stop paying you can not use your stuff again.

I like the more frequent LW updates and hope it remains that way.

Qexit
01-26-2019, 05:03 AM
Paul, do you mean €400 income per month from your 3D hobby work? Otherwise I wonder how you survive.

For the record, I can understand Paul's situation. My income is only between £450 - £600 a month, so I have to weigh up all my expenditure very carefully. I hit the big Six-O next month which puts some limitations on my future earning prospects :D 3D is a hobby for me these days. I haven't earned any money from it for several years, for a variety of reasons. After upgrading to LW2019 and ODToolsSet 2019, my funds for such things are now exhausted for the immediate future. Hopefully, I will get some enjoyment from my purchases once I get my head around the latest round of changes and improvements. To be honest, I'm still getting to grips with LW2018 :confused:

Paul_Boland
01-26-2019, 05:08 AM

erikals
01-26-2019, 05:18 AM
For me, a new version upgrade of Lightwave is €400 odd...
For $250 a year I get Houdini!! Something to think about...

> Toggle the upgrades
LightWave upgrades every 3 years
supported by Houdini Apprentice

after bills, my income is basically $2 these days, but it wouldn't be right to tell NT to offer a 2 dollar upgrade i think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpaFEOpQkY8

if you lack dollars,
an idea is to make an income using the LightWave version you have, sell objects or animations or such.
or even create LightWave tutorials.

hope it sorts out, over and out.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-26-2019, 05:55 AM
I like the more frequent LW updates and hope it remains that way.

Agreed. Great pace. Great price. The more users buy into this development plan, the better LW will become.

Newtek generously allows upgrades from any previous version...not to mention perpetual licenses.

MarcusM
01-26-2019, 06:05 AM

It is your private affair but if you share this here I allow myselft to tell you something.
Do not waste time on computer graphics if it not bring any income for you in this situation and was not for years. I googled your city, it is 50k population, not small. Buy some tools, put advertisement in local newspaper and local internet advertising portal, your city facebook group. For paint a room you can propably get 200£, for change washbasin faucet 50£, radiator 100£ etc. etc.

If you want stay in CG there are linkedin, indeed or glassdoor. Wish you all the best.

Sorry for not stay in LW subject.

CaptainMarlowe
01-26-2019, 06:09 AM
For what it's worth, as a hobbyist also, I have taken the habit to sell some of the models I create for my own projects on CGTrader and other identical platforms. I will try to expand this with unreal store with LW2019. I don't earn a lot from this, especially since I haven't put new models for sale in almost two years, but enough to pay for almost all my software and plug-ins upgrades (things will be eased in the coming years as I won't have to bother paying for Substance painter and designer maintenance, now, I will just keep my current licences).

I will from now on take for granted that LW will be updated on a yearly base and spare the money accordingly. But I'm happy with the new pace of development.

Kryslin
01-26-2019, 07:30 AM
What I'm seeing about LW19 I'm liking. I will be upgrading, it's just a matter of when. Even at the nominal upgrade price, it's still a good deal.

Like many others here, I'm walking wounded - I had spinal surgery last April, and the recovery from such is long - Coming up on 10 months now, mainly waiting to be released back to work. It will be a close deal, but I should come in under the wire.

thomascheng
01-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Hey guys, this forum doesn't like firefox. Give me artifact as I type. Anyway, I've been out of it lately. Does Lightwave support animation layers? I'm thinking no, but wanted to check. Thanks.

Philbert
01-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, this forum doesn't like firefox. Give me artifact as I type. Anyway, I've been out of it lately. Does Lightwave support animation layers? I'm thinking no, but wanted to check. Thanks.

Isn't that done with Motion Mixer?

thomascheng
01-26-2019, 09:51 AM
The workflow I'm looking at is to bring in motioncapture data (FBX or BVH)and using another layer to effect the overall change of a bone, without touching the original animation data. Using Motion capture is much bigger these days.

JamesCurtis
01-26-2019, 11:11 AM
I intend to upgrade, but money is really tight right now.

I've been going through nueropathy and severe dehydration issues due to illeostomy surgeries I had the last few years. I'm 64 years old today, and have more or less been forced to retire [though I do work on projects when I'm able to for old clients].

erikals
01-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Does Lightwave support animation layers? I'm thinking no, but wanted to check. Thanks.

bit of a "kind of" answer on that one >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lsGvZ5Bc0

I'm 64 years old today.
hey, Happy Birthday!

https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png https://i.imgur.com/8iXqXEx.png

wishing you the best, and remember to take care. (walks etc)

Marander
01-26-2019, 12:47 PM
In case anyone is interested in what's new in the LightWave 2019 Content and want to figure out the new features...

These are the new 2019 scenes (only the difference / delta from LW2018):

(it helped me find a scene to understand the new Pattina node)

For Pre-2018 users, the complete Content is too large to show, there are 226 scene files.

vncnt
01-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Ouch! I hope you're alright!
The bruises are uncomfortable and make me feel 40 years older.
Good thing is that I didn't end as a charter member with golden wings!

One of my first test renders in LW2019:

It's going to need some more from the LW2019 toolkit.
Loved the interaction between Modeler and Layout when adding the shadow catchers.

prometheus
01-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Wow! Hope you feel better soon! Rest and fluids...

It may not have been the flu, I sat for 14 hours in the emergencyroom at a hospital from yesterday until today, they took blood test initially, checked blood pressure and temp, but after that I had to wait for 14 hours before I could meet a doctor.
It was overloaded, especially a day before salery weekend, accidents happens when people get out, drink ..and some slippery roads due to the snow and ice, so they take care of those persons with the most
serious wounds, or any life threatening case.

They took some tests on my muccus, from the throat,and I got xray on my lounges, I got prescriptions on pencellin, and a fungus medication, a case of some sort of Pneumonia appearently.

So I was ordinated sick leave for two weeks, previously I tried to get back to work earlier, but it didn´t heal out.

Thanks for your caring thoughts Chuck.

If I get any strength back anytime soon, I will at least go through the new features, bit by bit....much of it looks promising.

erikals
01-26-2019, 01:41 PM
tried to get back to work earlier
advice, don't, it takes time.
i've done it in the past, but quickly found that one can't protest against the body's healing-tempo.

Pneumonia, that's no joke, stay at home!
Signed, Dr. Alstad

avkills
01-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Unreal Editor 4.19, 4.20 and 4.21 are supported, including derived environments like Unreal Studio.

- David

Cool, thanks for the info David.

gar26lw
01-26-2019, 09:16 PM
hmm, testing 2019 and got a hard crash with metamorphic. I don't know what caused it as app disappears. If i can pinpoint it, I'll report it.
2019 is a definite improvement on 2018, I would really like to see the UX and user suggestions for tool improvements and workflow added.
The small stuff that would greatly increase the speed of authoring without any actual new features. Personally, I'd want that and stability over any new feature now.
Doing good work NT guys. Renderer is much better.

chikega
01-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Thank you :)

OFF
01-26-2019, 11:37 PM
hmm, testing 2019 and got a hard crash with metamorphic. I don't know what caused it as app disappears. If i can pinpoint it, I'll report it.
2019 is a definite improvement on 2018, I would really like to see the UX and user suggestions for tool improvements and workflow added.
The small stuff that would greatly increase the speed of authoring without any actual new features. Personally, I'd want that and stability over any new feature now.
Doing good work NT guys. Renderer is much better.

The first two attempts to launch Metamorphic ended with the collapse of the LW. But suddenly, for the third time, Metamorphic started. Of the changes available to check in the LW 2019 demo - better drawing of the selection. Everything else seems to be at the same level.

vncnt
01-27-2019, 01:38 AM
I was trying the "Creating an OpenVDB Cloud setup" tutorial video.
After using the Metamorphic plugin on the Cube object, it seems to completely block commands like 'p' for Properties and 's' to Save.
So be careful and save your scene from the menu while using Metamorphic.

Also, when I've changed something in the scene, shouldn't LW show a '*' sign in the title bar?

50one
01-27-2019, 03:24 AM
So, am seeing this right that there's another 3rd party tool bolted on with it's own Undo system? This is not good.

Apart from that all looks good, sadly still not much essence for me to upgrade.

Philbert
01-27-2019, 03:31 AM

BTW the forum works fine for me in Firefox mobile and desktop. Maybe make sure it's updated, clear the cache, etc.

lardbros
01-27-2019, 03:44 AM
So, am seeing this right that there's another 3rd party tool bolted on with it's own Undo system? This is not good.

Apart from that all looks good, sadly still not much essence for me to upgrade.

What sort of thing are you looking for? Modeller updates?

erikals
01-27-2019, 05:57 AM
disagree, it is actually Very good that it isn't tied [locked] to the other functions.

50one
01-27-2019, 08:51 AM
Yes, and having destructive workflow is good too.
We're going down the motion mixer, fiberfx route again