PDA

View Full Version : dr pepper can

sidetrak
01-02-2004, 03:43 PM
here is my version of a dr pepper can. It's not that good but it is my first render and i'm pretty proud of it. I modeled it becuase my father works at a small dr pepper plant in central texas(Dublin TX) and he said that the plant would buy it if I could make it, so how much would I be able to sell it for? thanks

~sidetrak

sidetrak
01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
... and here is some of the detail on the top of the can, this part wont be seen as much so the flaws in the indentions wont be seen.

adrian
01-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Here's a few pointers:

1) I think you need to make the can a little shinier
2) The sections on the top part are way too square - you need to round it out a lot more
3) Although you say the top won't be seen that much, you need to really work on the chrome surfacing - go to www.worms-of-art.com and work through their "Mr Fresnel" tutorial.
4) The sides of the can near the can lid is also too square, round that out as well.

The rest of the surfacing is good and the basic shape is there (apart from the square bits). Not bad for a first render!

Adrian.

adrian
01-03-2004, 12:46 AM
One more thing - put it on a table or something a little reflective. This will add to the realism and add more interest to the image.

Adrian.

CMP 2003
01-06-2004, 11:55 AM
The top part where the tab is, is too high, move it down, there is a bigger lip on the can, up top.

And the whole thing should be subpatched

sidetrak
01-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Somehow I posted the wrong pic on the top one. I tried to do something like a fresnel effect ,added a backround ,and put it on a table. This is probably the final version, and dont bother pointing out that i should have put this in work in progress; i already know. thanks:)

CMP 2003
01-17-2004, 09:57 PM
I like the soft reflection edges

squirts
01-17-2004, 11:34 PM
where to start...gosh

Look into Texture Maps...Bump Maps....UV Maps....ummm Weight Maps! damn...this needs alot of work...oh much time did u spend on this?

CMP 2003
01-18-2004, 07:37 AM
These forums are FULL of newbies, as well as pros, I dont think its necessary to trash sombodies work, or harshly criticise them.

Just be easier on your choice of words.

squirts
01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Well i was looking at the top of that can again and i think you might have put the wrong AXIS (x\y\z) in the texture for thats why their are line going through it. Ummm; you might have been going for that but, i dont really know. To expedite the low poly count try to use a texture map on the top of the bottle for detail. Its a good way to start modeling so that you dont get used to 500,000 poly models. (weight maps) are great for carving edges out without add polys! Ummm...look at Antialiasing in the Camera Item Properties; it really help when doing renders and animations. Try it out with and without its only a click away...hehe

Good-Luck

*Mini iPod took me 15 mins the other day with modeling, texturing, and scene setup! You should get a group of your buddies together and have lil competitions modeling little things and see whos is better and who finishes first!*

squirts
01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
i see some rips aswell in the top of the can...the more surfaces you have on your can the easier it will become to make it look realistic! :) your on your way! For Ex: The top should have 3 surface for the can but you only put one...so try to remember about the AXIS's for texturing! Post new renders when you fix problems! Have you tried pushing "tab" a lot? if you like that
"tab" option make sure all your ploys are 4points not 3, not 2...4!Okay well best of luck!

sidetrak
01-20-2004, 03:21 PM
The pics at the top were from the very begining of the project and arent up to date with the texture changes etc. I had a lot of trouble with the wood and if anyone has a really hi-res image of wood along with a bump map that would be great. i will try to repost something when i have some time. i accidentaly forgot to save after i made a LOT of changes so it will be a while...

thanks.