PDA

View Full Version : xpc particle file?

squarewulf
01-17-2019, 05:45 PM
I have a client that needs to re-render a fluid sim done in C4D. I was able to get the fluid mesh into lightwave but I can't seem to figure out how to open this .xpc particle sequence for bubbles. Is it xparticles?

Any help would be appreciated.

MonroePoteet
01-18-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm definitely not an expert, but LW doesn't seem to support the XPC file format. From what I can tell, C4D can export VDB format which might work in LW, so maybe contact the client and ask for a VDB export of the particle data.

Just shooting in the dark here...

mTp

squarewulf
01-18-2019, 11:36 AM
I'm definitely not an expert, but LW doesn't seem to support the XPC file format. From what I can tell, C4D can export VDB format which might work in LW, so maybe contact the client and ask for a VDB export of the particle data.

Just shooting in the dark here...

mTp

Yeah, and I have access to C4D just dont have access to xparticles at all.

Anyone here have xparticles and would be willing to help me out?

jwiede
01-18-2019, 12:44 PM
I have an XParticles (4) license. PM me and we can discuss what's needed.

Marander
01-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Yeah, and I have access to C4D just dont have access to xparticles at all.

Anyone here have xparticles and would be willing to help me out?

I have X-Particles too, let me know if I can help you!

The XPC is X-Particles native Cache format and it can also use BIN (Realflow), BGEO and GEO (Houdini), PDB32/64 (Maya), PTC (Renderman), PDC (Maya nCache) or PRT (Krakatoa) if that's any help for you. Ideally one would use Alembic as exchange format, but LW doesn't support it properly when points numbers change (which is most likely the case with a fluid sim).

Marander
01-18-2019, 02:24 PM
The only way I see exporting X-Particles to LW is by using XP ExplosiaFX where the cache format can be set to VDB. Works fine with LW but depends what your goal is. That's more for smoke and fire effects.

Pure particle data from XP to LW should be difficult because LW doesn't support the particle formats mentioned as far as I know and it doesn't have a proper Alembic integration.

VDB meshing and exporting to LW doesn't work because it only supports VDB volumes and not solid VDB meshes.

squarewulf
01-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Here is the .xpc sequence in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkurhfv3h5srwod/Bubbles.zip?dl=0

As far as I know they're just basic particles, not meshed or anything. Are the able to be converted to .bin?

Marander
01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Here is the .xpc sequence in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkurhfv3h5srwod/Bubbles.zip?dl=0

As far as I know they're just basic particles, not meshed or anything. Are the able to be converted to .bin?

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1grmvgxcq195mf/Bubbles_bin.zip?dl=0

This is what it should look like (695 frames animated):

squarewulf
01-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Marander-

All i'm getting is a stream of particles, like without their translation data or something.

Marander
01-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Marander-

All i'm getting is a stream of particles, like without their translation data or something.

OK that means it caches the standard emitter in its non-cached state. Caching the cache doesn't seem to work. Therefore I cannot convert from one cache format to another, only import / playback / record / export in the various formats.

The way it looks you can read the BIN format properly, so maybe you can ask your source to re-cache the particles in the BIN format in XP.

If you have the C4D File I could do this for you.

jwiede
01-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Hehe, I'm already regenerating as .BIN for him. ;D

Marander
01-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Hehe, I'm already regenerating as .BIN for him. ;D

That's great! From the C4D File or re-caching from the XPC files? How did you do that?

squarewulf
01-18-2019, 05:33 PM
jwiede got it working for me, he needed the c4d file after all.

THANK YOU so much, I really appreciate your help.

jwiede
01-18-2019, 05:36 PM
That's great! From the C4D File or re-caching from the XPC files? How did you do that?

Rebuilding the cache as BIN, after overriding format & folder in the Cache object. I was working in R19, mind you, not R20 -- I still find R19 more stable for X-Particles (4) work versus R20 & bridge plugin.

Marander
01-18-2019, 05:39 PM
jwiede got it working for me, he needed the c4d file after all.

THANK YOU so much, I really appreciate your help.

So did you use Realflow and what version? And from there how into LW? Good to know there is a path from XP into LW.

squarewulf
01-19-2019, 08:12 AM
So did you use Realflow and what version? And from there how into LW? Good to know there is a path from XP into LW.

I just imported the .bin with RFRK