PDA

View Full Version : How do multiple 3D artists work on the same project??

TSpyrison
01-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Another Lightwaver and I are working on a project together, and Iím hoping someone out there might have some suggestions for me..

How do you manage multiple people working on the same project? I mean, keeping each other updated with newest changes in objects, scene files, texturing.. and how do you keep the other people from working on the same thing as you are working on at the same time?

ingo
01-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Normally when working on a project, architectural viz in my case, the job is split. So one does the modelling and the other one does the texturing and rendering. I have done the modelling part for several different people, as long as you clarify your needs before you start the job, it works well.

hth

ingo

stone
01-02-2004, 03:37 PM
depending on your project, manpower and skills, you will devide the work diffirently. you might have some guys modeling and the others skinning/rigging/animating. or someone handling characters and the others static objects.

it does sound like you need an asset/project manager to handle the project. cvs, sos, alienbrain and the likes makes sharing files easy and provides functionality to prevent overwriting other peoples work.

/stone

TSpyrison
01-02-2004, 04:12 PM
OK, ill bite...

what is cvs, sos, and alienbrain ?

:)

Titus
01-02-2004, 07:30 PM
>How do you manage multiple people working on the same project?

Yelling at them! :D

Hervť
01-03-2004, 12:17 AM
yeah somebody has to crack the wip...!! he he

mkiii
01-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
OK, ill bite...

what is cvs, sos, and alienbrain ?

:)

Hope that you *never* have to find out ;)

liquidik
01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, CVS and alienbain are revision and asset management systems. Well, while CVS is more towards programming, alienbrain is more towards graphic and film production.
I suggest you to look at thei site (cvs is opensource) here:

www.nxn-software.com
www.cvs-home.org

At the moment I'm writing a similar system, pretty much like alienbrain, that will go opensource (writing some interface classes now :P ) i've got a thread down here. If you have suggestions, please make them in the proper thread.

adboy
01-06-2004, 04:24 AM
think or the project

decide what has to be done

divide it up to the apropriate people

get icq or another messenger

setup and ftp on your machine with a project directory that they can upload and download from (only handy if u have a dsl or cable line or faster really)

just notify each other when a sections done or is up for change and what files u are currently editing

works pretty well for me

TSpyrison
01-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by liquidik
Well, CVS and alienbain are revision and asset management systems. Well, while CVS is more towards programming, alienbrain is more towards graphic and film production.
I suggest you to look at thei site (cvs is opensource) here:

www.nxn-software.com
www.cvs-home.org

At the moment I'm writing a similar system, pretty much like alienbrain, that will go opensource (writing some interface classes now :P ) i've got a thread down here. If you have suggestions, please make them in the proper thread.

Hmm.. The CVS site doesn't appear to be up...