PDA

View Full Version : How to make the guitar stick on the animated fbx character

Alan Safewood
12-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Hi
I've made an animation with my character using Mixamo.com,
resulting in an fbx animation of a guitar player -see example attached.

Question is: How can fix a guitar to look "almost natural" in his hands.
I just made a silly test to try it...
BTW: I use LW 11.6

Any suggestions out there?
Although I've bee on and of this forum for many years I'm still a newbie and need an explanation, not keywords.

Anyway, Id really appreciate for some help from you guys out there.

Best Regards
Alan Safewood

https://youtu.be/M8XpgkCtTm0

ilanvfs
12-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Hi
I've made an animation with my character using Mixamo.com,
resulting in an fbx animation of a guitar player -see example attached.

Question is: How can fix a guitar to look "almost natural" in his hands.
I just made a silly test to try it...
BTW: I use LW 11.6

Any suggestions out there?
Although I've bee on and of this forum for many years I'm still a newbie and need an explanation, not keywords.

Anyway, Id really appreciate for some help from you guys out there.

Best Regards
Alan Safewood

https://youtu.be/M8XpgkCtTm0

Remove all keyframes from it and then parent it to a null or part of the skeleton so that it moves with that part only. The wrist should work

Alan Safewood
12-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Ill get rid of those 4 keyframes, but how exactly do I parent it to something (wrist, stomach or something

Kryslin
12-28-2018, 03:42 PM
There are two ways to do that...

Both use the Motion Options panel.

1) Is to physically set the parent item in the motion options, be it a bone, null, mesh, etc.

2) The other way is to use Position and Rotation constraints.
2a) Create a null item and parent it to your character. Position it where you want the guitar.
2b) Under translation, set your item, and choose world coordinates. for X,Y,Z, choose the "Same as Item" constraint. The item should move to the null.
2c) Under rotation, repeat the above. The Item's orientation should match the null.
2d) The item should follow the null, which you can use to adjust the orientation of the item in your character's hands.

A third , somewhat clunkier way is to us Simple Item Constraints, but you'd have to set up one for position and another for rotation.

Alan Safewood
12-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Thanks a lot. I ended up with creating a null that was controlled by the Hips bone, then making a box (guitar) that was controlled by the null and moved to place. Now the box is following the Hips, and it looks quite nice. Almost like your solution nr. 1. Now I need to model an acoustic guitar...

I guess I could skip the null and just let the Hips bone control the guitar?

Anyway thanks :-)

Kryslin
12-28-2018, 09:54 PM
I would keep the null. It allows you to make adjustments independant of the skeleton.

ianr
12-29-2018, 09:27 AM
I would keep the null. It allows you to make adjustments independant of the skeleton.

null .....IS your friend!

erikals
12-29-2018, 12:02 PM
rr-tools

$35 but might be worth it...
https://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/rr-tools/

Alan Safewood
12-30-2018, 01:07 PM

What about the FBX? Is it possible to do a general turn in the shoulder/arm (with a null) as well? The right arm is going right through the guitar.

Alan Safewood
12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
What about the FBX? Is it possible to do a general turn in the shoulder/arm (with a null) as well? The right arm is going right through the guitar.

2 hours later:
Im doing tweaking on the keys to make the left arm play on the neck of the guitar. Its a h**l of a job. Is it possible to have an additional null between the hand and the neck or something? Or will this collide with the other null?

2 more hours:
Dont manage to do it by tweaking keyframes. Im gonna make a hand to the guitar and pretend its a part of the character :-)

Kryslin
12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
This is one instance where IK on the arms would make things much easier. constrain the goals of the arms to a point where they'd follow the guitar, but be in the right place to strum or fret it. You could adjust the arm and elbow by the pole so that it would clear the instrument...

Alan Safewood
12-31-2018, 08:10 AM
Thanks. Ive managed the right arm, but struggling with the left one now :-) Its much easier to do it in real life... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alan+safewood