PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 - samples everywhere.

Tim Parsons
12-27-2018, 12:39 PM
With LW2018 and the de-unification of samples with them being scattered throughout the app for almost every attribute got me to thinking - why are there no samples to individual surfaces/nodes? The occlusion node has samples, but none of the others seem to have them. Sometimes I'll have one surface that really suffers from noise and/or fireflies and I'm thinking if I could just ramp up the samples on that surface I'd be good to go. Is this something that is possible/desireable? Am I missing something?

Tobian
12-28-2018, 05:08 AM
Technically they haven't been de-unified, it's just light sampling returned, because of the nature of importance sampled lights, and one sized fits all wouldn't work. The indirect samples are all in one place, well 2, render settings and radiosity. Occlusion is a specific edge case, because it's not effected by lights or lighting, so it needs it's own setting.

There's certainly a case for per material or even per nodal influence sampling, such as angle based reflection sampling, but that may not work due to the order of execution of the node graph in the shader.

Nicolas Jordan
12-28-2018, 09:03 AM
I personally have had trouble with Conductor materials that have some roughness. In some cases it is very hard to get rid of the noise without high render times. Conductor materials with roughness are especially render intensive even compared to conductor materials in LW 2015. Not really sure they this is the case though. I'm hoping I might learn a few things from Rebel Hills tutorial series.