PDA

View Full Version : Asset Manager

liquidik
01-02-2004, 05:25 AM
Dear LW community,

I've been playing around with the idea of writing an asset managet like NXN Alienbrain, to manage all the files for a short. Finally I've got some time to dedicate to this project.
I'm going to release it completely Open Source because for me it will be so fun to write (I hope so :D ).
Anyway, I'm at the designing stage, and I've put some ideas down on paper, but what I'd like to know is your opinion on features and expecially workflow.
At the moment what I can say is that it'll be web based and focused on 3D production.

So, let the brainstorming begin !!!

Thanks,

Liquid

Dodgy
01-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I'll let you knwo when i've got some time! (just so you don't think we're ignoring you!)

liquidik
01-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks dodgy,

currently I'm writing down all the suggestions, and possibly I'll soon create a web site, that is best suited for this kind of things.

Anyway this is my PM:

[email protected] (without nospam).

Thanks

Liquid

mattbolton
01-02-2004, 10:10 AM
I would be interested in helping with this; I believe you said that you were considering open-source in another thread. I don't have any suggestions right now, but I am familiar with how we use SourceSafe here at work to organize and protect our source code.
It would be interesting to see what the different needs are when we are talking about images, objects, scenes, motion data, shaders, etc.
What server OS would you be using for the web server? And when you say "web based", do you mean remotely hosted on the internet, or just that it is hosted on a web server so that the management front-end access is through a browser?
Sounds like fun. :D

liquidik
01-02-2004, 10:52 AM
mm...I don't have experience with Sourcesafe, I'm just poking around with alien brain NXN demo.
Yes the software will be completely open source, and at the moment I'm evaluating the platform. We want the client to be thin and light, so web based (hosted on a web server). Java seems the logical choice, but also PHP, with some heavy interface coding :D . We'll see...

Thanks for the interest.

Liquid

Kvaalen
01-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a great idea, but I think we would be able to help you more if you tell us what you already have thought out. :)

I've never used such a program but I'm sure it could be usefull for quite a few people.

riki
01-02-2004, 06:11 PM
What do you mean by asset manager? Is it something to manage the content directory??

liquidik
01-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Well, I think you all should really go to

www.nxn-software.com

and take a look. This is my main source of ispiration.
Not too many feautures in mind, hey it's holyday, so I've got just a bunch of notes written down.
With my friends we are considering the platform, as said, it'll be browser based so that it can easily run on every platform (mac,linux,win). At the end I think I'll use some mixture of PHP, Mysql and Java...but it's too early to say. Anyway, there will be a public site for this project.
But I don't want you to have false expectations. This project is made to take care of our production, it'll have features from ereyone who wants to contribute, but we'll gave precedence to our needs :p .But, as said before we will let everyone download and use it...

Thanks all for the suggestions

Liquid

benhaines
01-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Likquid,

could you please check your private message :) thanks.

Ben

Kuzey
01-04-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm making something similar, around 90% completed...but not as complicated and it's Lightwave specific.

Kuzey