PDA

View Full Version : Using 'drag' to drag points to establish a profile-?

Birck Cox
12-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Hi, guys. I've been trying to learn LW using a wide array of toots and demos on YOUTUBE. One from west Notinghamshire U. is all about a fish, and is based on a lateral view of an aquarium fish to which the instructor applies a create/box. He then proceeds to DRAG the points of the wireframe box into an approximation of the fish's profile. He claims that it is simple-just select the points and multiply/drag them. Well, baloney! Baloney baloney baloney! I'm using LW2015, and the task simply can't be done that way. Any suggestions?

jwiede
12-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Make sure you're creating the box with as many segments in each dimension as the tutorial author shows. Just trying with a "six-point box" is a recipe for headache, but with enough segments to the box, there's no reason that shouldn't work fine -- that's basically the definition of "box modeling technique", after all.

When you say you can't do it that way, what particularly is causing you problems during the attempt?

Birck Cox
12-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Make sure you're creating the box with as many segments in each dimension as the tutorial author shows. Just trying with a "six-point box" is a recipe for headache, but with enough segments to the box, there's no reason that shouldn't work fine -- that's basically the definition of "box modeling technique", after all.

When you say you can't do it that way, what particularly is causing you problems during the attempt?

Thank you for the reply. In my frustration, you're right, I didn't give sufficient details about the problem. The demonstrator shows a box being drawn tightly around the profile of a fish, then, without giving too many details, he starts selecting, then dragging points around the box (roughly 10-12 segments horizontally) to match the silhouette of the fish. I think he has Modify/drag checked. So it's click-drag; new point click-drag; new point click-drag, etc. If I try it, I can select and drag exactly one point. After that, no matter how I try to modify my click( shift-click; command-click; alt-click; RMB select; MMB select ) , That one point stays selected, and can be moved, but nothing else. I can't select another point. There's clearly something there that I don't know about. Maybe it's his thick South London accent.

Ztreem
12-23-2018, 02:56 AM
If the video is on youtube maybe you can post a link so we can see the video to easier understand the issue.

UnCommonGrafx
12-23-2018, 03:45 AM
Try to use ctrl-t = drag points. Move points is what it sounds like you are using and it isn't as 'freestyle' as drag points.
Edit: oh, and that would be with no points picked.

LW code: If nothings picked, then everythings picked.

Edit 2: picked, selected, I'm bothered by my choice of words.

Sensei
12-23-2018, 03:59 AM
Thank you for the reply. In my frustration, you're right, I didn't give sufficient details about the problem. The demonstrator shows a box being drawn tightly around the profile of a fish, then, without giving too many details, he starts selecting, then dragging points around the box (roughly 10-12 segments horizontally) to match the silhouette of the fish. I think he has Modify/drag checked. So it's click-drag; new point click-drag; new point click-drag, etc. If I try it, I can select and drag exactly one point. After that, no matter how I try to modify my click( shift-click; command-click; alt-click; RMB select; MMB select ) , That one point stays selected, and can be moved, but nothing else. I can't select another point. There's clearly something there that I don't know about. Maybe it's his thick South London accent.

Make box in front viewport.
Don't select any points!
Press shift-g (default keyboard layout), to enable Modify > Snap Drag.
Just click on them and move mouse.

If you will select some elements, and enable Drag/Snap Drag, you will be able to move just one of those selected elements. One selected element - and you have to drop tool each time to select new one.

prometheus
12-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Make box in front viewport.
Don't select any points!
Press shift-g (default keyboard layout), to enable Modify > Snap Drag.
Just click on them and move mouse.

If you will select some elements, and enable Drag/Snap Drag, you will be able to move just one of those selected elements. One selected element - and you have to drop tool each time to select new one.

I was about to say that, seems heīs been working with the wrong snap tools, snap drag is prefered.

Birck Cox
12-23-2018, 05:03 AM
Hi, guys. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu-bMuQnL98.

The problem, I think, going by your input-and all three of you were correct- is that the demonstrator says to use " Modify/drag" and that's all. He is working in LW 10.1, while I am using LW2015, which may make the difference. Could that be the case, or did he forget that it should be snap-drag? At any rate, I tried using shift-G, and it works exactly as it's supposed to: click point-move point; click next point-move next point; click next point-move next point, etc.. So I can do it, thanks to you folks. Thank you.

Birck Cox
12-23-2018, 06:03 AM
Well, it was my fault after all. The demonstrator had it right, and you had it right. Using shift-G OR Modify/drag both work correctly, as you suggested, and as West Notts demonstrated. I was messing things up by SELECTING the point first. So when I tried to continue, that one point stayed selected, and nothing worked. Once you offered alternatives, and they worked, it became obvious that something was wrong at my end. And LW 10.1 and LW2015 do it the same way. Thank you for the help, and I will try to remember this experience next time something doesn't work as expected.

prometheus
12-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Well, it was my fault after all. The demonstrator had it right, and you had it right. Using shift-G OR Modify/drag both work correctly, as you suggested, and as West Notts demonstrated. I was messing things up by SELECTING the point first. So when I tried to continue, that one point stayed selected, and nothing worked. Once you offered alternatives, and they worked, it became obvious that something was wrong at my end. And LW 10.1 and LW2015 do it the same way. Thank you for the help, and I will try to remember this experience next time something doesn't work as expected.

Neither move, or drag has a snapping options...itīs the snap drag that has.

Another method..
if you specificly select a point you want to move, select it..then use axis translate..hover over the selected point you want to move, then click and drag..you will get a guide line in between the point you are to move and towards where your current mouse cursor is, and it will HUD up tell you when you hover over any vertex for you to snap on, ..if you have that selected as an option..there are margins for errors if you have edge snapping selected or other elements.
Using axis translate can be great when you want to move whole segments that is selected to snap ..but for point to point moving, the simple snap drag is better I think.

Sensei
12-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Glad everything is working as expected.
When you will move slightly further in LW modeling, and start learning spline-modeling, consider getting my LightWave plugin EasySpline http://easyspline.trueart.eu
In its toolset, it has interactive tool called "Spline Point". It is all-in-one functionality to add point on curve, if you click empty space on curve (spline) without points (between control points), and snap'n'drag after clicking on point on curve directly.
You will see, it will save you awful a lot of time.

Birck Cox
12-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Glad everything is working as expected.
When you will move slightly further in LW modeling, and start learning spline-modeling, consider getting my LightWave plugin EasySpline http://easyspline.trueart.eu
In its toolset, it has interactive tool called "Spline Point". It is all-in-one functionality to add point on curve, if you click empty space on curve (spline) without points (between control points), and snap'n'drag after clicking on point on curve directly.
You will see, it will save you awful a lot of time.
Thanks, Sensei, for the suggestion about spline-modeling. I am still making rookie mistakes in rookie areas and I'm not there yet, but I have been collecting all the replies to my questions, and I'm aware that there is such a thing as spline-modeling, so when the time comes I'll look into it.