PDA

View Full Version : LW not exporting if the export path is too long?

LeiLei
12-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Is it true or is it just my iMacPro: When I try to export a LW-file to .obj or .stl and the path is very long (maybe 15 subfolders - I did not test it how many) LW just does not export the file. If the path is short there is no problem at all.
Ciao Klaus

Ma3rk
12-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Highly possible and seems your own experience is confirming. Not really a Lightwave issue.

Someone on the Creatiive Cow site ran into this recently with After Effects projects & where source files were located. Think some of his paths were well over 80 characters.

Short, quick answer is to simplify.

LeiLei
12-22-2018, 11:35 AM
good to know
thank you

jwiede
12-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Is it true or is it just my iMacPro: When I try to export a LW-file to .obj or .stl and the path is very long (maybe 15 subfolders - I did not test it how many) LW just does not export the file. If the path is short there is no problem at all.
Ciao Klaus

There are practical path length limits in many-to-most filesystems (f.e. apparently 1016 "UTF-16 units" long for HFS+). It's entirely possible you've exceeded them, but without knowing the precise filesystem and OS, it's difficult to say what the exact limit is for your situation.

LeiLei
12-23-2018, 02:01 AM
... for me its enough to know that the limit exists. Thank you

Sensei
01-03-2019, 12:08 PM
In (legacy) Windows limit is 260 characters. Therefor programmers often use char path[ MAX_PATH ]; or char path[ 256 ];
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation
C:\ takes 3 chars, 0 at the end of string 1 char, +256 chars for the real path gives 260 chars.

In newer code, when there is used UNC path and Unicode, limit is 32767.