PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones String Theory

rdolishny
12-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Not sure what or if any of this astonishing visual and aural poetry was created in Lightwave, but props to LW user Chris Jones (Passenger) for this beautiful and moving artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZzehktUeko&fbclid=IwAR36pQNnh9Y0PTtcrd46jYsCp25Tpjaj3SD-bRNZsUQ0NVJa23VvwjtDY2Y

Chris S. (Fez)
12-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Not sure what or if any of this astonishing visual and aural poetry was created in Lightwave, but props to LW user Chris Jones (Passenger) for this beautiful and moving artwork.

He says Lightwave and Hitfilm Express: https://www.chrisj.com.au/2018/12/4-years-later.html?m=1#c

squarewulf
12-18-2018, 11:24 AM
That was awesome! Looks like TONS of work went into this, I couldn't imagine.

12-18-2018, 11:30 AM
whoa.
Lots of work. Lot of editing. Lots of two point polys!

Nicely done.

RPSchmidt
12-18-2018, 11:39 AM
That was absolutely amazing.

Thanks very much for passing it along!

Just really incredible.

prometheus
12-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Bloody Marvelous.

Even though the amount of work may be impressive, and the technical skill behind handling the particles etc, what impresses me most is His skilled visual style ..and how he matches his own music to the elements so well, that above the underlying 3d work impresses me the most, all that Chaos needs to come together.

Beautiful.

Nicolas Jordan
12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
That's pretty cool! Something I think most of us would like to do is create our own short film with Lightwave. It's always very inspiring to see these kind of creative and unique films.

gdkeast
12-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Par excellence.

Tim Parsons
12-18-2018, 07:01 PM
That is friggin awesome!!

lertola2
12-18-2018, 07:26 PM
This is amazing!

scallahan1
12-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Mindnumbingly awesome. I'm not worthy to even stand in the same room as him while he double-clicks the Lightwave icon. <bowing and backing away>

Steve :)

rdolishny
12-18-2018, 08:30 PM
This is going to be one hell of a breakdown.

The timing of the 3d objects along with the lighting effects I have no idea how he did it but I suspect the makers of Hitfilm are going to max out their web bandwidth this month. I've never heard of it. Interesting way to capture movement then translate to any animation app.

Tim Parsons
12-18-2018, 09:19 PM
I've never heard of it.

What? Never heard of HitFilm? :) Yeah, this is going to be one hell of a breakdown for the LW part and HitFilm.

ernpchan
12-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Wow that was very impressive. I would love to see a piece on this going into how it was made.

COBRASoft
12-19-2018, 02:01 AM
Stunning! Reminds me a lot of the WhiteCap plugin... https://www.soundspectrum.com/whitecap/

OFF
12-19-2018, 03:02 AM
Cool work, but nothing about String Theory itself ))

lardbros
12-19-2018, 04:32 AM
Wow that was very impressive. I would love to see a piece on this going into how it was made.

If his previous works are anything to go by, there will be a breakdown of this at some point.
He really went to town on the 'Passenger' making of stuff, which were as beautiful and awe-inspiring as the short film itself.

Awesome work Chris!

erikals
12-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Cool work, but nothing about String Theory itself ))
myeah,,, tricky since string theory is quite vague, closer to a hypothesis

lardbros
12-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Isn't it kind of a pun? There are planetary type bodies in there, but most of it based around musical strings... Hence the name I guess.
Either way, it's awesome work nonetheless!

bazsa73
12-20-2018, 01:21 AM
As my favorite next door canadian hockey coach would say: Good job!

Axis3d
12-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Super amazing work. Hitfilm is a compositing software (think of it as a free alternative to After Effects). Chris' lightwave work is always inspiring and truly imaginative.

djwaterman
12-21-2018, 05:15 AM
It's not so much the tools, Blender was used also. It's just Chris is a genius, he uses low end tools and produces high end results.

lardbros
12-30-2018, 06:24 AM
It's not so much the tools, Blender was used also. It's just Chris is a genius, he uses low end tools and produces high end results.

I'm interested to know his workflow for blender and LightWave... What did he do with what etc.

XswampyX
12-30-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm interested to know his workflow for blender and LightWave... What did he do with what etc.

Who knows, but here's something you can play around with...

erikals
12-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Mighty Cool!  https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

MonroePoteet
12-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Brilliant! Here's my (hopefully correct but maybe not!) dissection of the scene / objects / images:

XswampyX Spectrum_2 scene / object Dissection:

Create a B&W image of the sound file's waveform, with white as the waveform's magnitude over time on a black background for the Luma channel below

Not sure what tool XswampyX used. Maybe open source SonicVisualizer?
Move / edit / clip the B&W waveform image file so it's at the bottom of the image (0.0 in Y)

Create a 2DTextures=>Image node with the B&W sound waveform mapped in the Y axis (pointing up) and rotated 90 degrees in H (going down the Z axis)
Move a Null in Z over the life of the audio file to "scan" the waveform image via the Image node's Position input
Use the Luma output of the B&W image as the per-position sound file intensity
The Luma output is used as a multiplier to displace (Surface Displacement in the node network) the top of the "Spectrum:Line" object via a Weight map "Move"

This produces the black moving solid waveform

The Luma output is used as the Offset for the small green boxes for Spectrum:Instance (scaled down to 0.1%)

The Instance_Array implements the Instancer on Spectrum:Instance
This produces the bright green dotted line

Using the same method, I wonder if the SonicVisualizer's Spectrograph output could be used to "zoom in" on a particular X position of the B&W audio file image's changing Z position (i.e. a particular frequency at that point in time). Might act as a "band pass filter" on the audio file, allowing some diverse manipulation of objects / channels based upon specific frequencies in the audio file per time slice rather than the overall magnitude of the sound. Hmmm....

Again: Brilliant! :bowdown:

mTp

XswampyX
12-31-2018, 06:21 AM
Thanks. :-D

You are close with your dissection but...

The image on the plane is just a helper for finding the start/end of music spectrum. Once it's lined up then you could make it invisible as it's the texture image in the node that moves the objects.

The image file is the spectrum but with 256 bands. Here it is again with 32. It might look a bit more familiar.