PDA

View Full Version : Creating an STL file from Lightwave 11.6.3

Munty
12-16-2018, 03:56 AM
I have created a tripled 3D (no hidden geometry, no 2 point polys, no overlapping ploys, all poly points merged and no overlapping polys) mesh of a component I would like to 3D print using an STL file recommended by the 3D print company I am going to use.

What I find very confusing is my Lightwave mesh doesn't match the mesh created by the resulting STL file? I have uploaded 2 png's showing the results I am achieving. As you can see the cut out section towards the top end of the mesh is on the opposite side in the STL file compared to the Lightwave mesh. Can someone help me with what I am doing wrong?

kind regards

Munty

UnCommonGrafx
12-16-2018, 05:10 AM
You are probably doing nothing wrong.

You may need to find a "flip horizontal" command/function or see if you can scale it -100% in the X.

I remember having this before in my slicer but it's been a while... hmm, and I recall meshlab was part of it.

Find another viewer. Your file is intact and valid, just being read backwards. Another, more technically knowledged member will hopefully share why this is happening and if LW is "at fault".
Robert

kyuzo
12-16-2018, 08:15 AM
To check my .stl files, i upload them to https://www.viewstl.com.

Munty
12-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply. I’m getting the same result from the STL viewer that the print company provides, so on this occasion I think I can eliminate Meshlab contributing to the weird result.

Kind regards

Munty

UnCommonGrafx
12-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Go to a new layer.
Copy your geometry to this new layer.
Scale your object in the offending axis by -100%; here in X. You should see the object as represented by the viewer thus far.
How's that work with the viewer?

ConjureBunny
12-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Hey try using this exporter and see if it fixes it...

https://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/freebie-export-stl/

-Chilton

UnCommonGrafx
12-16-2018, 03:37 PM
There ya go, Chilton!
My next suggestion...lol

Munty
12-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Hi Chilton
Forgive my naivety but I went to the web link you have suggested, found the file, unzipped it and saved the Export STL.ls file in my Newtek program files>Lightwave 11.6.3>support>plugins>model directory.

I then went into Modeler>Add Plugins > found the .ls file > highlighted it and hit the “Open” button > the Add Plug-ins dialogue box appeared and I hit “Done”.

I then checked what I had just done by going into the “Edit Plugins” dialogue box and scrolled down until I found the “Export STL.ls” entry and there is a capital P in the locked icon column? Assuming I have carried out the correct procedure, why have I encountered a P in the locked column and how can I get rid of it so presumably this new plug-in will work?

Kind regards

Munty

Munty
12-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Hi Chilton

What I should have done is view your video before attempting to do anything and I wouldn’t have needed to post my previous reply.

I have followed your instructions and hey presto your exporter has performed seamlessly, the STL file matches my Lightwave file. Thank you so much for making this LScript available and free, I am very grateful for your programming skill and generosity.

Kind regards

Munty