PDA

View Full Version : Control Surface Switch Replacement

AVTEKSINC
12-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Given that NewTek does not offer control surface replacement switches but recommends main board replacement.
I have a customer with a broken C1 PVW (Input #1 PVW) and due to the cost of a new board they requested that
I attempt to replace it with a known good switch from the same panel. I chose ME4 since it was not being used. The
switch removal was painless as was the broken switch. Not so painless was mounting the good switch. A close exam
of the switch solder points reveal component leads for the most part have a trace connection on one end but the other
end from my 35 years of PC board work typically is on the boards reverse side. Not the case on the CS460. My assumption
is that the board is a three layer molding with said traces sandwiched between the top and bottom layers. Without further
said pain the tally light was a success but the actual switch (reed type) was a failure. Best guess is that solder does not
"wick effect" to the hidden layer traces? Anyone verify this? Anyone able to replace a switch with success?

I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I am putting this out there for anyone thinking of doing the same.
I now understand why NewTek does not sell or recommend replacing CS switches.

jamestone199
12-13-2018, 12:21 AM
you can't turn the element on, you can't turn it off or you can't change

AVTEKSINC
12-13-2018, 08:34 AM
All of the above.

AVTEKSINC
12-13-2018, 08:45 AM
All of the above. I would add that the reed contacts are now closing as measured on the board trace points. Either the closure is just not
reaching the trace to the logic gate or there was damage to the logic components.

ShaneP
12-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Given that NewTek does not offer control surface replacement switches but recommends main board replacement.
I have a customer with a broken C1 PVW (Input #1 PVW) and due to the cost of a new board they requested that
I attempt to replace it with a known good switch from the same panel. I chose ME4 since it was not being used. The
switch removal was painless as was the broken switch. Not so painless was mounting the good switch. A close exam
of the switch solder points reveal component leads for the most part have a trace connection on one end but the other
end from my 35 years of PC board work typically is on the boards reverse side. Not the case on the CS460. My assumption
is that the board is a three layer molding with said traces sandwiched between the top and bottom layers. Without further
said pain the tally light was a success but the actual switch (reed type) was a failure. Best guess is that solder does not
"wick effect" to the hidden layer traces? Anyone verify this? Anyone able to replace a switch with success?

I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I am putting this out there for anyone thinking of doing the same.
I now understand why NewTek does not sell or recommend replacing CS switches.

I have similar questions that i need answers of. Some have been answered though.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Shane.