PDA

View Full Version : DP nodes and plugins compiled for LW2018 on Mac? Please vote here!

3dworks
12-10-2018, 02:45 AM
MacOS users, do you need Denis Pont's (DP) nodes and plugins compiled for LW2018?

If you are using LW2018 or plan to do so, please make sure to vote here! Until now, no solution was found to get the 2018 update compiled for MacOS as Denis has no Macs for compiling and third party developers traditionally compiling for the community have no time to do so or didn't get an agreement with Denis to get access to the code. Maybe we can convince a LW developer to do it (maybe Mike Wolf who kindly and successfully did it in the past, or Oliver Hotz?) if we fund a small amount of money to make the process more attractive. It 's a bit of work to compile the code and debug it for MacOS, and as we all know, time is money. Hopefully we can find a solution if all Mac users on the forum are voting here.

If a developer with MacOS compiling skills reads this and would like to help out, YOU ARE WELCOME! :-))

Cheers Markus

Markc
12-10-2018, 03:32 AM
Would love this to happen.....:D
Voted :thumbsup:

oliverhotz
12-10-2018, 08:09 AM
As for myself, I have no interest in doing a port... just to clear my name from the list of devs that you felt "might be able to be convinced".

Lightwolf
12-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Maybe I should add it as a goal to our Patreon, but it'd be unfair to those not on a Mac. ;)

raymondtrace
12-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Maybe I should add it as a goal to our Patreon, but it'd be unfair to those not on a Mac. ;)

It is not necessarily unfair. Even though I don't use Mac anymore, there is still reason to support LW Mac development as it maintains or expands the general LW userbase, which benefits everyone.

MonroePoteet
12-10-2018, 09:31 AM
I'm a Windows user, but I'm not going to cast an "I Don't Care" vote.

I think Mac users are an important part of the LW community and LW CGI providers, and it'd be wonderful for Denis to have the financial support and encouragement to do a Mac port. Very possibly it will be more than just a simple re-compile though. Although the LW SDK callouts, etc. are probably consistent across the Windows and Mac platforms, the surrounding code will probably need modification to be compatible with the Apple compiler.

So, although I don't "Need Them" and can't really provide financial support for the port, I hope it'll get done with the community's support!

mTp

prometheus
12-10-2018, 10:58 AM
The poll may come across as egoistic, I need...
For me ..definitely, I donīt care, but I wont vote either for any of that...the community needs it.

- - - Updated - - -

For me ..definitely, I donīt care, but I wont vote either for any of that...the community needs it, then again..I think I missed the Essence..just now, The Question was aimed towards mac people..Sorry :)

3dworks
12-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Mike, thanks for jumping in here! If we find enough Mac users / supporters to pledge for a conversion, why not? Maybe you could set it up as a separate project on Patreon? This way windows users would not be involved. Maybe let's see if we get together a few more opinions here in the next hours/ days. Cheers Markus

3dworks
12-10-2018, 12:20 PM
For me ..definitely, I donīt care, but I wont vote either for any of that...the community needs it.

- - - Updated - - -

For me ..definitely, I donīt care, but I wont vote either for any of that...the community needs it, then again..I think I missed the Essence..just now, The Question was aimed towards mac people..Sorry :)

The intention is to help the small Mac LW community, not just myself. Actually, I am working without those tools since the release of LW2018, but it would be extremely handy to have them back again. Also, potential new/ upgrade willing LW MacOS users could benefit of the conversion... "I need" is simply addressing the single voting Mac user. Read it as "As a member of the Mac LW community, I wish..." - sounds less direct, maybe. ;-)

Fsoto
12-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Yes, upgrade for the mac.

erikals
12-10-2018, 07:25 PM

I think Mac users are an important part of the LW community and LW CGI providers, and it'd be wonderful for Denis to have the financial support and encouragement to do a Mac port. Very possibly it will be more than just a simple re-compile though. Although the LW SDK callouts, etc. are probably consistent across the Windows and Mac platforms, the surrounding code will probably need modification to be compatible with the Apple compiler.

So, although I don't "Need Them" and can't really provide financial support for the port, I hope it'll get done with the community's support!

mTp

just gonna copy what Monroe wrote.

3dworks
12-11-2018, 03:45 AM

mTp

thanks for your support, MonroePoteet and ericals, you're a perfect example of the great and supportive LW community which still keeps LW going on! :cool:

cheers

markus