PDA

View Full Version : Weird Switching Clitch

INOV8Pro
01-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey switchers:

Thanks for all the great info. Please keep it coming!!

Help again!! I'm doing my testing of my switching cababilites. I hooked up two cameras through composite in on channels 1 and 2. I have both camera trained on me and when i move I get this weird jittery look. Almost like I put the shutter speed on 8 frames a second. This has never happened before. Here's what's going on. I'm sure one of you experienced switchers has a solution.

On the switcher - when I have camera two on preview and camera one on main the above happens. When I put preview to black both cameras are fine.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm going to hit the manual and the one Desktop video I have for switching techniques.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

INOV8Pro
01-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Humm...

My live switching event is next week and no answers to my post. I'll have to call Newtek. I wonder if it might a bad signal from one of my cameras. This hasn't happened before.

Paul

ted
01-03-2004, 06:31 PM
A good test would be to place two known good decks on preview and program. If that's OK, then swap for one camera, then the other.
This should answer your issue quickly.

Are you saying the program looks jittery? On your t-vision, or an actual output?

INOV8Pro
01-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Ted:

Thanks for answering. It looks jittery on both the Taoster and the output. I'll try your deck idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks

Paul

INOV8Pro
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Grrrrr!!!!!!!

I thought I had it fixed but the problem is back. I believe both cameras are fine and that is must be a computer issue. Perhaps a setting that I've missed. Has anyone else ever had this issue. It only happens with esternal inputs into the SX-8 and does not happen with internal inputs such as the DDR or TED. I do not have the problem when I mix - exmple - the DDR with Camera 1 it only happens when I mix two cameras or a camera and a deck going through the SX-8.

Any Ideas anyone.

Paul

ted
01-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Are your settings for the BOB correct, i.e., composite, component etc?
I'm sure you've tried different input connections on the BOB as well as different cables.
I'm out of options until I get to the studio tomorrow.

wvp
01-04-2004, 06:45 PM
On the switcher - when I have camera two on preview and camera one on main the above happens. When I put preview to black both cameras are fine.
I believe I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago.
As long as I did cuts only on program things worked fine. (Keeping black on the preview).
With holidays & vacation I have not been able to test for the problem. But what I got when I would switch is the preview image 'flickering' rapidly over the program image.
First test to try is switching between cameras using only the default dissolve (NO dve's loaded).
I'll post when I find something...

JonCrowe
01-05-2004, 02:09 PM
I've seen this problem before. For me it ended up being a bad daughtercard. However, it could also be the SX-8. I first substituted the SX-8 and when that didn't solve the problem I swapped out the daughtercard. I don't know if you're in the same situation but it sounds like it. Does the system switch correctly between two DDRs, or is it only on your "live" sources. If so this could point to the SX-8 or daughtercard.

JonCrowe
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Sorry, should have read all of your last post:

Based on what you described it sounds like either a bad SX-8 or daughtercard. This was the same problem I had. As I mentioned above it was my daughtercard, but it still could be the SX-8. Sub-ing out the hardware to see if the problem still exists is where I would go next. Or send it to Newtek and have them check it out.

INOV8Pro
01-05-2004, 08:17 PM
I think it's the daughter card as well but I'm running out of time. My show is next week. i just got the VT3 upgrade I'm hoping that may fix the problem. Of course this would be a software fix. It could be anything: cables, SX-8, daughter card, software. Ugh..

GRRR

I'm going to call a local dealer and see if he can help.

INOV8Pro
01-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey all:

It would appear that this flickering was due to a PCI bandwidth problem. I had installed a dual USB2.0 and firewire card and placed it in the last slot of my Supermicro P4DC6+ motherboard. After trying just about everything else I switched the current DV deck I had to another firewire input on a different PCI slot and removed the external USB 2.0 drive completely from the system. That seemed to do it. However, now I can't seem to do a simple DSK for a CG. Hmmm... I don't believe the two are related.

Paul

Paul Lara
01-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Moderator: ktas' chroma key thread was moved to Troubleshooting