PDA

View Full Version : Selling models, any recommendations?

starbase1
12-02-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking about selling some of my models - perhaps Turbosquid is the obvious channel, though I am open to suggestions.

Anyone got experience of this? Any gotchas?

My biggest concern is that judging by ones I have bought, they seriously oversell their conversion capabilities, I've had some really bad conversions done - and as I only use LW and very occasionally Blender and Daz Studio, I'm unlikely to even be able to look at what comes out...

Cheers,
Nick

Kaptive
12-02-2018, 04:21 PM
The Unreal marketplace offers extremely good returns (due to a recent change and the popularity of Fortnight)... which also offers an assumedly large potential customer base too. Worth a shot. I wish I had more info for you, but I'm just shooting from memory. It was something like 80% split to you for each sale I think. Turbosquid has worked for me in the past with the little I put up there. Never megabucks, but it wsa more of a test. You have to do some US document in order to get paid. That's about all I have.

JohnMarchant
12-02-2018, 05:41 PM
TS is good, but they take a bigger slice of your money. CGTrader allows buyers to negotiate with you and takes less of your money, also ArtStation is quite good. I agree their conversion service is not so good. I would do that myself. The problem is TS is expensive because they take a bigger margin, there is of course allot of rubbish on TS as well, but thats the same on all of the others.

Oldcode
12-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Hey Starbase! What are you selling? If you've got anything cool, maybe we can go directly through pay pal.

Cheers! :D

bazsa73
12-03-2018, 02:01 AM
I sell on CGtrader. Nowadays I seldom upload since I have a permanent job and we do house renovation, no time for doodling in 3D after work. I use LW as main app, Zbrush and Blender for extra features. UV-ing, hard surface beveling HardOps for Blender, great stuff, must have. I use Substance painter for texturing. My low poly scifi assets sells best .
https://www.cgtrader.com/cosmicninja

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 03:20 AM
Hey Starbase! What are you selling? If you've got anything cool, maybe we can go directly through pay pal.

Cheers! :D

Indeed Nick whats up for grabs.

starbase1
12-03-2018, 03:41 AM
Thanks All!

I'm really not sure exactly what I'll sell - I pulled all my downloads from F3D a couple of years back, fed up with zero thanks or feedback. So I'm tempted to try some of that first to get the hang of things.

I've done the odd one off personal sale, and that seemed fine. Everyone happy with prices and quality. (Though I acknowledge that much of my older stuff is crappy!)
We are probably mainly talking about spacecraft. Real ones and unflown ones.

I'm tempted to start with my Jodrell Bank / Lovell Telescope mesh though, as it has a small number of layers, does not use fancy texturing, and is based on loads of geometry. My feeling is that it's a match for the kind of thing you get for $300 on Turbo Squid, and I know it was successfully imported to Max with minimal fuss. It's got every dam strut and bolt I could spot in the thousand or so reference photos I took!

The end goal is basically to make enough so the hobby pays for itself when I'm in retirement, and hopefully a bit more. I've had some decent video work in the past which has reached this level without giving up the day job, so I'm hopeful.

Like I said the messy bit in general will be getting things into other formats. I'm hoping that OBJ with textures baked into UV maps will cover quite a bit of it though.

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 03:48 AM
I was hoping that your Jodrell Lovell would be included, i remember the WiP of that beast. You have a great collection there Nick. Actually i brought a model on TS because of your recommendation. I got The Saturn V Apollo 8 by Stuart Howes, its probably the best model i ever got and at a very reasonable price of $250.

https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/435413

Oldcode
12-03-2018, 05:56 AM
"And I want Rockets! Plenty of Rockets!" :D

Looks great Nick! I'm thinking of the V2, the Space Shuttle, and the Saturn V! :cool:

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Indeed, Rockets and old space stuff is good.

Snosrap
12-03-2018, 07:12 AM
I've been thinking about selling some of my models as well so I'm going to keep tabs on this thread.
I've got a number of models that would fit into the archvis side of things. And I'm thinking of making them really inexpensive and making it up on volume. :) If that's possible.

starbase1
12-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Ah, Shuttle and Saturn V are not mine.

V2 is very basic, (done in 4 paint jobs), so if that goes up it will be very cheap.
(And before anyone asks, I'm not selling the N1 mesh!)

- - - Updated - - -

from what I see archvis people charge a lot for their work, so you'd probably do better with a higher price!

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 07:47 AM
I've been thinking about selling some of my models as well so I'm going to keep tabs on this thread.
I've got a number of models that would fit into the archvis side of things. And I'm thinking of making them really inexpensive and making it up on volume. :) If that's possible.

That's always the thing, higher price and lower sales or lower price and higher sales. Its the reason i like CGTrader as you can talk to the modeler directly. I have had to ask questions in the past because sometimes the information was not really there. Not many renders or loads of them which dont tell you allot. The amount of information Stuart Howes provided for his model was frankly staggering and well researched, thats the reason i got it and the price was more than worth it. I have paid similar and got nowhere near the quality.

Also it depends on the format you want it in and whether you can convert. I got Chris Kuhns F14 Tomcat on Turbosquid. The detail is fantastic, its in Blender so i had to convert but the conversion went very well indeed and all i lost obviously was the rigging as it used a certain blender type rigging that would not convert but Christ already told me that.

Oldcode
12-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Ah, Shuttle and Saturn V are not mine.

:eek: :oye: Too bad. They look amazing!

V2 is very basic, (done in 4 paint jobs), so if that goes up it will be very cheap.

It can't be much simpler than the one I tried to build a few years ago. Talk about lame! :o

Signal to Noise
12-03-2018, 09:39 AM
I'm tempted to start with my Jodrell Bank / Lovell Telescope mesh though, as it has a small number of layers, does not use fancy texturing, and is based on loads of geometry. My feeling is that it's a match for the kind of thing you get for $300 on Turbo Squid, and I know it was successfully imported to Max with minimal fuss. It's got every dam strut and bolt I could spot in the thousand or so reference photos I took!...

That looks really good! I appreciate the detail in it.

Any modeled LUTs or crawlers to go along with the rockets?

prometheus
12-03-2018, 01:22 PM
And daz marketplace?

starbase1
12-03-2018, 02:13 PM
yes, blender is easy to export from.

Most insane model I bought on TS was Lunokhod. The guy had even modelled the threads on every bolt!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see that as much of a market for space stuff, it's so focused on figures.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not done those.

I keep dithering over attempting the 'grasshopper' that transported the N1, but there are no good references for the top.

prometheus
12-03-2018, 07:59 PM
yes, blender is easy to export from.

Most insane model I bought on TS was Lunokhod. The guy had even modelled the threads on every bolt!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see that as much of a market for space stuff, it's so focused on figures.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not done those.

I keep dithering over attempting the 'grasshopper' that transported the N1, but there are no good references for the top.

Forgot to recognize that you had that focus, and not models in general, clothes, props is probably something that may be worth doing if you target daz, but for your already made space stuff..probably not.

jbrookes
12-07-2018, 01:28 PM
You can also post a YouTube video of your models and (or course) be sure to state that, "they're for sale, if you want them."

The models I've sold in the past were because people saw them in renders and then sent me in the direction of people who were in need of those exact models for productions they were doing. Lots of studios are on a serious time crunch and just don't have the time to make something from scratch. And if you have a model that fits the bill, you'll be helping them out too.

Revanto
12-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I had a friend that used to create products for Renderosity, which is the standard 50/50 profit gig in most cases. He usually just did his own thing and sales were hit and miss. It was barely beer money but if you manage to churn out enough decent products and advertise them properly then you should be OK for beer money, at least. Not the most top range of overall products (some really good and others just average) but it seems to have a lot of advertising exposure.
My suggestion is to go to the section labeled "what's hot" and you'll see what sells the best. For Renderosity, the fashion and girly products sell the best. If you are willing to swallow your pride and go for that side of things then you'll likely get more money in the end. Oh, and my friend mentioned that he had issues sometimes when it came to product evaluations (IE to see if it is worthy to sell on their site) and some of his products got rejected for stupid or inane reasons. But that was years ago. I don't know if they are as snooty or not now.

Revanto :p

starbase1
12-10-2018, 12:54 AM
Thanks fpr the suggestions - I want to make money from stuff I enjoy, so I'll be sticking with the space stuff!