PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Tutorials for LightWave 2018/2019... RELEASED!

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Hello all.

After much wait, the time has finally come, and the 2018 Lighting, Shading and Rendering tutorial series is here for you in all it's glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61U0iczvkw

Totalling near 17 hours and with dozens of individual video tutorials, this series gives you all the info and instruction you need to become a master of the new rendering engine present in LightWave. These videos will guide you through the whole thing, from start to finish and, as usual, come in 3 sections... Foundations, Tools & Techniques, and Projects, giving you the full story into the understanding of the system from basic concepts, individual controls and options for each of the different tools, as well as large scale overviews from the point of view of combining everything in project format.

The series is available for purchase now, from...

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhlsr.html

As ever, I hope you enjoy this series very much, and find a great deal of valuable info and guidance to help grow you skills and improve your own work.

Cheers all!

JohnMarchant
12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
You got my money, cant wait, thanks Craig. Quick off topic question, whats the latest version of RHiggit.

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 12:54 PM
All done!

And 2.08... got a couple lil fixes for it on the to do list... should be a 2.09 before too long.

JohnMarchant
12-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Craig, downloading now.

prometheus
12-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Great stuff.
I wonder how much you have speeded up the youtube showcase though? it sort of gives a (false) impression that lightwave is blistering fast to refresh.
I also wonder how much coffe you drank in order to be so cheerful ? :D

toeknee
12-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Cool RH great to see all is going well. I was a little worried when you went silent. This looks great. Thank you for creating more training for the community. Being a long time customer I know that old customers generally get a little better pricing than new customer
is that the same for this training?

jaf
12-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Great news. I was an early bird purchaser back in January. Will I automatically receive a download link or is the something I need to do?

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Should have gone out to you... if not received, drop me a note so I know who you are... else, see here...

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155497-New-video-training-for-2018&p=1559465&viewfull=1#post1559465

- - - Updated - - -

is that the same for this training?

There's no bundles with these atm, no. There was the early bird, but obviously thats gone now ):

Diepgroen
12-04-2018, 06:53 AM
As an early-bird customer I had time to digest the first version. This new full and complete version fills in the gaps and surpasses my expectations. It covers all the information you wish you knew before doing things on a hunch. It informs you about all those vague settings you think you knew, and gives you a thorough understanding of the new system: GI, specifically interpolated GI, animated GI, proper sampling workflow, how to use the filter radius, render tile size, understanding buffers, proper volumetrics, color space***, even how to struggle with the word Lanczos Sinc :) and just how the whole story fits together with lighting and shading .... You'll be rendering like a boss.

Great job and must have training.

RebelHill
12-04-2018, 07:23 AM
Yeah... turns out it's Hungarian...

and pronounced Lan Sosh (which means "chained"... Hungarian peeps have odd names)

Signal to Noise
12-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Is there a 'buy all' bundle deal? I think I want to buy them all.

Also, if I were to buy all topics, what is relevant for LW2018? Are some series for older versions? Sorry, I'm a newcomer to this Rebel Hill stuff but it all looks good.

Kryslin
12-04-2018, 10:58 AM
RH Rigging, RH Animation are still relevant, because not much has changed with animation & rigging workflows in Lightwave since their release and/or updates.
RH Nodal might have a few changes, because of the new renderer, but those differences would be covered by new LSR videos.

RHiggit 2 is worth the money spent, if you do even a fair amount of rigging. It does have some (very minor) quirks, but nothing that's a show stopper, or even a deal breaker.

JohnMarchant
12-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I think Craig is talking about an update to RHiggit, so maybe it will sort out any issues with 2018.

Cageman
12-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Great stuff.
I wonder how much you have speeded up the youtube showcase though? it sort of gives a (false) impression that lightwave is blistering fast to refresh.
I also wonder how much coffe you drank in order to be so cheerful ? :D

If you have a good rig, such as a 64 threaded machine, the video isn't that far from the truth. :). However, I looked at it at 0.25x speed and that looks pretty close to what my machine in the sig does for scenes like that.

TheLexx
12-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Sorry, I'm a newcomer to this Rebel Hill stuff but it all looks good.The RH website is deceptively thin on the front end, but a veritable Aladdin's Cave if one wanders a little and it finally dawns what is there...the LW equivalent of the shop (https://chezsheasite.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/mr-ben.jpg?w=656) from Mr Benn. :)

jbrookes
12-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Does this include tutorials on how to use nodes (things like spot info)?

RebelHill
12-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Is there a 'buy all' bundle deal? I think I want to buy them all.

Are you meaning all topics of 2018 rendering (in which case this series has all included)... or all topics in LW which I have items for? If the latter, then no, there's no super bundle, but there are for some of them, so you can package up a "cheapest arrangement".

Does this include tutorials on how to use nodes (things like spot info)?

Not for nodes other than the new material nodes, no. There are the old nodes vids, a few lil things in there are out of date, but by far the majority of it is still the same even in the latest LW, ad it's that series that really teaches "nodal thinking" (if you take my meaning).

Oldcode
12-05-2018, 11:25 AM
I just might have to give these a go! :D The new render engine for 2018 has totally confused me so I'm still using 2015 on my projects while I learn 2018.

devin
12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
I just might have to give these a go! :D The new render engine for 2018 has totally confused me so I'm still using 2015 on my projects while I learn 2018.

Ditto. I just dropped a fair amount on AE plugs during Cyber Monday so I may hold a bit. I also still need to get my head around nodes.

MannaTheBerserk
12-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Awesome! I have just paid for the tutorials. Can't wait to watch them all! :-)

RebelHill
12-07-2018, 11:24 AM
just scoffing a pizza... standby!

RebelHill
12-07-2018, 11:53 AM
and... done.

MannaTheBerserk
12-07-2018, 12:27 PM
and... done.

and... Downloading!:rock:

jbrookes
12-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Not for nodes other than the new material nodes, no. There are the old nodes vids, a few lil things in there are out of date, but by far the majority of it is still the same even in the latest LW, ad it's that series that really teaches "nodal thinking" (if you take my meaning).[/QUOTE]

Which series is it that covers nodes? In particular, I'm trying to get a better grasp of math-based nodes (as well as effector nodes, of course).

I'm also intrigued by the rendering tutorial series you've just created too. That's certainly on my list (soooon).

jwiede
12-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Which series is it that covers nodes? In particular, I'm trying to get a better grasp of math-based nodes (as well as effector nodes, of course).

Sounds like you're seeking his "RHN" (http://www.rebelhill.net/html/rhn.html) training on nodes. I'll add my recommendation (as a customer), it's excellent coverage of nodes (esp. in LW, but many of the concepts transfer generally to other node-based systems as well).

Signal to Noise
12-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Are you meaning all topics of 2018 rendering (in which case this series has all included)... or all topics in LW which I have items for? If the latter, then no, there's no super bundle, but there are for some of them, so you can package up a "cheapest arrangement".

Thanks. I did indeed mean all topics for LW. I stumbled upon the "mini bundles" so this helps.

gdkeast
12-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Awesome!!!

Oldcode
12-08-2018, 10:54 AM
There are the old nodes vids, a few lil things in there are out of date, but by far the majority of it is still the same even in the latest LW, ad it's that series that really teaches "nodal thinking" (if you take my meaning).

Hey Rebel,

I only have a little experience using nodes. I'm still very used to the old surface editor. The only place I use nodes regularly is for the weight maps in the instancer. To get the most out of this new video series, do I need to get the node series too?

Thanks,

RebelHill
12-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Not really...

I'd say that to get the most out of LW itself, including the surfacing system, then at least some modest level of proficiency with nodes is pretty helpful. There is, ofc, much use of nodes in the new 2018 series, but nothing too fancy, and much of it stuff you could replicate in the layers system (things like using a single image, channel split, colour adjusted, whatever to create a "new" image version, stuff like that).

For sure you'll get a whole bunch out of this new series with little to no nodes usage, but you will also see where you really can benefit from them. I'd suggest that you can probably see how you get on, and how well you understand the examples shown, and from there decide if you want to go for extra training specific to the nodes system.

Ma3rk
12-08-2018, 12:22 PM
If I may chime in, while I'm still at what I'd call a toddler stage with nodes, watching RH's workflow had a number of ah and ah HA! moments when it came not just to nodes but the new 2018 system overall. The use of the new buffer sytem & how to optimize where & what you need is very much a part of the process as you'll see.

I haven't had time to go through anything other than the BB8 series yet, but armed with that, I want to eventually go back & rewatch the Nodal series again.

gdkeast
12-09-2018, 06:56 PM
I've been binge watching the series, and it is absolutely fantastic. This is the exactly the type of training LW needs. The series walks you through all of the lighting and render settings and not only explains what they do, but more importantly, why and how. If someone is new to LW, you'd almost be insane not to watch it. I only wish I could have had it earlier as it would have saved me much time on experimentation and floundering about. Congratulations to Rebel Hill for taking the time to put something this comprehensive together. It's truly a Masterclass. My only wish now is for one on the Octane Renderer and seriously, I'm good after that.

sadkkf
12-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Just purchased mine, too. Can't wait to binge. :)

mummyman
12-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Purchased... waiting for the email link. Seems like a good amount of info.

Wireframex
12-13-2018, 10:35 AM
The only things annoying me is the 720p video files who is very low nowadays ...
My own screen is WQHD and my tablet is WQXGA
It is pity with this low resolution it is too blurry when I resize it :(
Need 1080p video nowadays

RebelHill
12-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Its mainly a filesize consideration, given that this (and other) series are many, many hours long, and not everyone has the connection speeds to easily be downloading files adding up to 10s of GB. (Heck I've even had one customer in the past who's situation was so poor in that regard I had to burn stuff to disk and mail it).

The downscaling though is (roughly) 2/3 of the original recording size, and any text/ui should be legible when up-res'd (fullcreeened). It'll likely be a lil soft, but should be perfectly readable. It certainly is for me. If it's not for you... not sure. Perhaps have a check of the settings in your video card to see if there's anything there for upscaling sharpness or AA, or perhaps try playing the video with a different player (QT or VLC would really be the 2 options for my vids) and ofc tinker with any such settings of that player.

jbrookes
12-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Purchased!

Thanks again for making these.

jbrookes
12-17-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm enjoying watching these and actually viewed the color space video twice.

Something that I noticed is that the 2018.0.7 install on a fresh machine defaults all of the items under the [CS] tab to Linear. That and if you happen to load a scene that is set to linear and clear the scene to start working on a new one, the new scene will also be set to lnear. Just something for people to watch out for.

After seeing your color space tutorial, I get the impression that perhaps the sRGB quick preset ought to be the default when LightWave is installed.

frunkster
12-18-2018, 01:15 AM
Purchased last week... waiting for the email link.

Wireframex
12-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Its mainly a filesize consideration, given that this (and other) series are many, many hours long, and not everyone has the connection speeds to easily be downloading files adding up to 10s of GB. (Heck I've even had one customer in the past who's situation was so poor in that regard I had to burn stuff to disk and mail it).

The downscaling though is (roughly) 2/3 of the original recording size, and any text/ui should be legible when up-res'd (fullcreeened). It'll likely be a lil soft, but should be perfectly readable. It certainly is for me. If it's not for you... not sure. Perhaps have a check of the settings in your video card to see if there's anything there for upscaling sharpness or AA, or perhaps try playing the video with a different player (QT or VLC would really be the 2 options for my vids) and ofc tinker with any such settings of that player.

You should have 2 type of quality one with 720p and one in 1080p and everybody should be happy ;)
Maybe it is too late today.

RebelHill
12-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Sure, but there are also hosting considerations. I get unlimited storage, but not unlimited bandwidth on my service.

TheLexx
12-18-2018, 02:59 PM
My own view, 720p or lower is perfect. A larger high rez screen gets the tut on one side with LW adjacent. Many old tuts from other authors on much lower rez are still readable and irreplaceable...but totally each to their own. :)

erikals
12-18-2018, 04:39 PM
1080p is nice, but over 10GB is just a bit much imo

720p or 800p is alright, gets the point across

tburbage
12-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Wondering whether anybody else followed along with Craig on the Foundation chapter where he ports the MarblesBenchmark 2015 render benchmark scene to 2018.

One of the key changes he made was to turn off GI, then change the Distant Light to an Environment Light with Intensity of 1.0 lx, and Sample Backdrop ON. Then we have to make the now well known adjustment to all of the surfaces' Shading Model: Glossy Reflections ON, Reflection Options to Raytrace Only. I'm assuming when one makes that change at least for surfaces with transparency, you also need to do the same for Refraction Options.

So all of that went just fine, but there was one problem I couldn't work out how to solve: the Caustics.
To get the Caustic to render, I had to: 1) turn GI back N, then of course turn OFF Sample Backdrop so we don't get double sampling. BUT then to get the Caustic to render, I had to turn on Raytrace+Backdrop for Refraction Options for Marble-BubbledGlass-e: Glass (the marble "casting" the caustic. But then I get very hot hits in the Refraction buffer which I could not get rid of.

Any thoughts on how to manage Caustics in the Environment Light scenario?

EDIT: Maybe the answer is, if you want caustics while using an HDR backdrop, just don't use an Environment light at all...

mummyman
12-21-2018, 09:15 AM
RH... thanks! The sampling video was exactly what I needed. Great job! Great info.

Eagle66
12-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Hi there - a question that isn't answer on the Detail page: are any scene Files included from this tutorials for download to work with?

RebelHill
12-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Those files for the 3 main projects are.

Nicolas Jordan
12-26-2018, 09:01 PM
I decided to purchase these tutorials as a Christmas gift for myself. I'm sure there are at least a few things I can learn from the 17 hours of videos. I think it especially makes sense to understand the new renderer as much as I possibly can now that I have a new machine and will be using LW 2018 for most of my production work starting next year(2019).

speismonqui
12-27-2018, 08:55 AM
me too, sadly I think RebelClaus is a bit busy these days. Just wondering how much time did you guys had to wait for the email? My popcorn is getting colder.

Nicolas Jordan
12-27-2018, 09:04 AM
me too, sadly I think RebelClaus is a bit busy these days. Just wondering how much time did you guys had to wait for the email? My popcorn is getting colder.

I ordered mine on Christmas morning but haven't received or heard anything yet. Maybe he's away for the holidays.

robertn2k
12-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Ordered mine as well and waiting on code. Out for holiday break from University so hope I hear something soon while I have free time to watch the training.

ELinder
12-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Looks like he'll have a number of orders when he gets back, I bought the series too.

robertn2k
12-30-2018, 05:17 AM
Anyone else still waiting on Download links for new Training from RH? Classes start here on the 7th and would really like to watch the training while I have some free time.

Markc
12-30-2018, 06:19 AM
I thought this may be the case, so ordered mine a couple of days before xmas.
Got the download 15 mins after order.
In progress of watching.......:D

Nicolas Jordan
12-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Anyone else still waiting on Download links for new Training from RH? Classes start here on the 7th and would really like to watch the training while I have some free time.

Ya I think everyone who ordered Christmas day or after is still waiting.

ELinder
12-30-2018, 08:58 AM
I wasn't really expecting an answer until after the New Year. Lots of people take off the week between the holidays.

Nicolas Jordan
12-30-2018, 09:23 AM
I wasn't really expecting an answer until after the New Year. Lots of people take off the week between the holidays.

Yes I think we can safely assume we probably won't hear anything until after New Years day.

speismonqui
01-10-2019, 10:11 AM
still haven't received the email link and/or any notification but it looks like @RebelHill is back.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?158883-Two-Thumbs-Up-for-Rebel-Hill-Lightwave-Training&p=1561765&viewfull=1#post1561765

something tells me we'll get the "Rebel wisdom" pretty soon! (I hope, I'm getting desperate!)

RebelHill
01-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Have you not..? All should have by now, or long before now. Send me a reminder email of who you are, Ill get on it.

speismonqui
01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Have you not..? All should have by now, or long before now. Send me a reminder email of who you are, Ill get on it.

done! email sent to email...
Thanks!

[Email removed to confound spambot harvesters - Forum Mods]

RebelHill
01-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Ok... I sent that out on the day it seems. perhaps it went to your spam or somesuch? Eitherway, Ive just resent, so let me know, or send me an alternate email address if you have one, if you still see no sign of it.

Cheers.

raymondtrace
01-10-2019, 12:09 PM
done! email sent to...

It is preferred not to post email addresses in the forum. (spam magnets)

Can you edit/redact?

speismonqui
01-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Ok... I sent that out on the day it seems. perhaps it went to your spam or somesuch? Eitherway, Ive just resent, so let me know, or send me an alternate email address if you have one, if you still see no sign of it.

Cheers.

Yep, just got the links. Thanks Rebel!

Chuck
01-10-2019, 12:41 PM
It is preferred not to post email addresses in the forum. (spam magnets)

Can you edit/redact?

Handled! :)

speismonqui
01-10-2019, 12:47 PM
whoops, sorry!

Markc
01-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Fantastic training from RH.....:rock:
Really impressed with the Emily result....wowwww :thumbsup:

prometheus
01-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Fantastic training from RH.....:rock:
Really impressed with the Emily result....wowwww :thumbsup:

What emily result? yours or Rebils?

Markc
01-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Rebel's human head texturing example, need to put some time aside to have a go myself now.

Markc
01-14-2019, 01:49 PM
RH......just a heads up.
All content opens fine in 2018.0.6 (including the scenes with exr’s).

For some reason in 2018.0.7 the emily/bb scenes which have exr’s display this:
‘An exception occured when attemting to load an image. Cannot initialize semaphore (function not implemented)’, then after ok says exr format not recognised format.

erikals
01-14-2019, 02:10 PM
------
answered below

raymondtrace
01-14-2019, 02:27 PM
...‘An exception occured when attemting to load an image...

It is loading fine in Windows. This issue may be Mac only.

jwiede
01-14-2019, 04:34 PM
For some reason in 2018.0.7 the emily/bb scenes which have exrs display this:
An exception occured when attemting to load an image. Cannot initialize semaphore (function not implemented), then after ok says exr format not recognised format.

Just for reference, I'm not seeing this issue here on 2018.0.7 (Mac64). The exr opens fine here.

@Markc: Sounds like might be config corruption, does the problem still manifest after clearing configs and reloading all default plugins?

It is loading fine in Windows. This issue may be Mac only.

@raymondtrace: I don't recall whether Markc is a Mac LW user, but will say I did not have the same problem here with 2018.0.7 (Mac64), so it isn't clearly a "Mac-only" issue.

Markc
01-15-2019, 11:42 AM
John, worked like a charm.
Thanks mate :thumbsup:
And yes I am a mac user.

raymondtrace
01-15-2019, 02:42 PM
[email protected]: I don't recall whether Markc is a Mac LW user....

I was going by the forum signature. However, it is understood those are not always trustworthy when some of us post mostly ridiculous configurations in our signatures. :)

Markc
01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
My sig is correct.....:)

TheLexx
01-16-2019, 01:42 AM
LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.Speaking of signatures, does anyone run LW from a usb stick. Is there an idiots guide how to do that, or does one literally install to the stick and it "works out of the box" ?

raymondtrace
01-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Speaking of signatures, does anyone run LW from a usb stick. Is there an idiots guide how to do that, or does one literally install to the stick and it "works out of the box" ?

I am certainly qualified to offer an idiot's guide. My signature is accurate up to the mention of Amiga/Wine. I use Windows and have most of my tools running from the portableapps.com platform (Messiah, Photoshop 6 (old), Krita, 3D-Coat, Blender, FBX Review, FBX Converter, etc). Because I create custom LW config paths in the shortcuts and I have not figured out how to do that with the portableapps format, I place those shortcuts at the root of my drive and make sure that the drive is always mounted as the same letter on any system I use.

I use the USB dongle for licensing and a solid state USB "thumb" drive for the program (attached to my house & car keys so I am less prone to losing my investment). Each system I work on must have the sentinel dongle driver installed. I keep the sentinel installer on the stick for any new system I encounter. I also need to drop a copy of my license.lwk file at "C:\Users\[yournamehere]\.NewTek\LightWave\2018.0.7\licenses" because LW might have a bug that prevents it from finding it in the custom config folder. Other than those 2 things, everything needed to run LW can fit on the thumbdrive. (To install: run the LW installer to the normal system drive, copy the program files to the portable drive, uninstall LW from the system - - I suppose you could directly install it to the stick but I do the install/copy/uninstall method to make sure there are few traces of the local installation.)

I always save any bulky cached data to the local system's drive to avoid wear on the portable USB drive and to offer optimum R/W speed.

My example shortcut paths:
J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.7\bin\Modeler.exe -c"J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.7\Configs"
J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.7\bin\Layout.exe -c"J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.7\Configs"

TheLexx
01-16-2019, 12:32 PM
That sounds amazing. I had no idea Photoshop 6 (is that CS6 ?) could run out of a usb stick. :)

Markc
01-16-2019, 01:24 PM
PS version 6 is from 2000.

RebelHill
01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Ha... PS 6... I suspect I still have that myself knocking about... somewhere.

Am glad you're liking the training too.

Ma3rk
01-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Hey, hey hey! CS6 might be a bit long in the tooth, but still quite stable. Bet there are some CC2019 users that wish they say that; wondering why their codecs no longer work, etc.

I only recently brought Affinity Photo into the fold as PhotoShop doesn't handle openEXR files correctly.

raymondtrace
01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
That sounds amazing. I had no idea Photoshop 6 (is that CS6 ?) could run out of a usb stick. :)

Nope, that's vintage "turn-o-the-century Photoshop 6". It was created with my own license. While I have a more modern Photoshop CS6 installed normally, the nearly 20-y-o version 6 is nice as a portable because it is tiny (<150 MB). I'm still waiting on Adobe to offer a valid reason to move to CC.

I have seen the circulation of more modern portable Adobe apps but those are of course illegal and likely filled with all manner of malware. Stay legal and happy.

...Am glad you're liking the training too.

Thanks for the gentle steer back on topic. :)

RPSchmidt
01-16-2019, 03:01 PM
I'm still waiting on Adobe to offer a valid reason to move to CC.

A real undo... not Alt-Ctrl-Z... just Ctrl-Z.

That, almost by itself, was worth maintaining my CC subscription.

If you do any work at all in After Effects, check out the Adobe Max video, in particular starting at 10:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUF5UdSH_WE

Plus the addition of many other new apps and features... Character Animator, Project Aero, Dimension just to name a few new apps.

Anyhoo, apologies and back on track... I purchased RH's tutorials, but unfortunately I have not had a chance to actually watch them yet :oye:

But based on the Foundations series, I know I am going to learn more than I thought possible.

Looking to buy the Nodes series, but noticed it's only still on sale at Liberty 3d. Anything new coming out on that subject area, RH, or is it safe to go with the older series?

raymondtrace
01-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Thanks but I'm aware of the new CC stuff. It just does not apply to me. I'm not sure shuffling hotkeys for "undo" is really that valuable...as step backward/forward has always been understood...and besides, who of us ever makes mistakes to undo? :)

RHN looks to be available directly at rebelhill.net and at slightly less expense than @ liberty3d.com. If the Brexit mess tanks the Pound, there may be an even greater sale at rebelhill.net. RH may want to raise his GB price. Currently $25.77 USD at Rebelhill.net

erikals
01-16-2019, 03:53 PM
CS6 might be a bit long in the tooth
nothing wrong with CS3 ;)

kyuzo
01-17-2019, 09:00 AM
I still run photoshop 5.5.
Not CS, just 5.5. Does everything I need.

RPSchmidt
01-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Thanks but I'm aware of the new CC stuff. It just does not apply to me. I'm not sure shuffling hotkeys for "undo" is really that valuable...as step backward/forward has always been understood...and besides, who of us ever makes mistakes to undo? :)

RHN looks to be available directly at rebelhill.net and at slightly less expense than @ liberty3d.com. If the Brexit mess tanks the Pound, there may be an even greater sale at rebelhill.net. RH may want to raise his GB price. Currently $25.77 USD at Rebelhill.net

I can understand that; I use a huge portion of the adobe suite on a daily basis, so for me, it's a good investment.

I dunno though... Alt-Ctrl-Z catches me every time and always leaves me looking at the screen going "Why isn't this UNDOING!!!???" for a moment or two before I remember I can't just keep hitting Ctrl-Z multiple times like I do in literally every other application I use (even every Adobe application :screwy:). When I saw that they were changing it, I started cheering right then and there... even startled some co-workers.

I checked rebelhill.net but for some reason, the link was broken for me. I'll check again tonight and see if I can get to it.

raymondtrace
01-17-2019, 09:49 AM
...I dunno though... Alt-Ctrl-Z catches me every time and always leaves me looking at the screen going "Why isn't this UNDOING!!!???" for a moment or two before I remember I can't just keep hitting Ctrl-Z multiple times like I do in literally every other application I use (even every Adobe application :screwy:). When I saw that they were changing it, I started cheering right then and there... even startled some co-workers.

You could have changed it yourself for at least a decade before Adobe changed it for you ("Edit Menu-> Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus"). This is the gimmick of subscriptions: Adobe just shuffles some settings that have always existed and subscribers think something has improved.

mummyman
01-31-2019, 07:33 AM
Rebel Hill, in your 2018 render tutorials, there is a scene where you are setting up the fast group of surfaces using an environment light method. It's in the 13_Quickstart vid. I noticed that you kept the samples default for the light at 4. I'm setting up a very basic lighting scene using this.. did you have to really crank the samples on the light to get rid of grain? I'm finding that I have to up it for a rendered sequence. It still looks fine.. but even 32 and slightly higher samples on the light gives me some grain. Just wondering if you use the denoise to clear that up. Trying to speed things up for something fairly simple. White surface loves grain. Thanks for the tutorials. Lots of great tips there.

RebelHill
01-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Well... the quickstart bit is really just a quick basic setup, so dont take those numbers as a general guide... but yes, less grain requires more samples. To get the best balance for render speed on a given scene, you'll want to follow the workflow detailed in the "sampling workflow" video. As for using denoiser to clear up grain... sure perfectly usable, though denoising is always a kind of "interpolation" type trick, so the more you leave to the denoiser, the less precise the results will be. This would be especially noticable in animation. So in that case, it's generally best to get your noise down to a pretty low visibility level via the primary rendering, and only use the denoiser to add the final little polish.

mummyman
01-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Excellent. Thanks!

I'm getting spoiled testing things using Redshift and another package. Same method, same grain... but it just cleans up so darn fast.

speismonqui
01-31-2019, 10:45 AM
First of all, the series are great! I finished watching all of them a couple of days ago and I'm really satisfied, thanks Rebel, amazing tutorials!

In the second bb8 video you did a 2m 30s render (frame 250) and you shared your specs (i5, etc). I did the same in my modest PC and the render went to almost 8 minutes (you can see my specs in my signature). Boy, I really want that i5 processor of yours, or maybe you have some tips? something I missed maybe?

Anyway, I liked the series so much I bought the Node series yesterday, downloaded and ready to get my mind blown away! ...again.

Cheers!

Chuck
01-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Well... the quickstart bit is really just a quick basic setup, so dont take those numbers as a general guide... but yes, less grain requires more samples. To get the best balance for render speed on a given scene, you'll want to follow the workflow detailed in the "sampling workflow" video. As for using denoiser to clear up grain... sure perfectly usable, though denoising is always a kind of "interpolation" type trick, so the more you leave to the denoiser, the less precise the results will be. This would be especially noticable in animation. So in that case, it's generally best to get your noise down to a pretty low visibility level via the primary rendering, and only use the denoiser to add the final little polish.

Would it be appropriate to retitle the thread from "2018" to "2018 / 2019"? If so I can do that.

Edit: Absent any opposing feedback, I've made the change.

erikals
01-31-2019, 04:18 PM
sure (imo)

RebelHill
02-01-2019, 01:23 PM
I've made the change.

So you have... and yes, everything in there applies in 2019 too, so is all good.

erikals
02-01-2019, 05:00 PM
adding, http://rebelhill.net/html/rhlsr.html should be included here http://rebelhill.net/html/products.html

Ma3rk
02-08-2019, 09:04 AM
In that regard RH, are there any updates to the series past the Dec 2018 release?

fuzzytop
06-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Bought the series and worked through it. There are a couple of small differences between LW2018.0 that RH uses for the series and later versions of LW (such as LW2019.x). For instance, the 59_Emily2 video (at 10:38) has the Principled BDSF material showing a Transmission percentage (found in LW 2018.0) instead of a Transparency percentage (found in later LW versions). Most people will not have a problem adapting the tutorial content to the newer LW versions.

This series, because of its systematic nature, will reinforce your knowledge of the PBR rendering approach, even if you have sizeable knowledge of that approach. My own knowledge was built-up over many months of use, but remained structured around the particular projects I had been working on, and so consisted of rules of thumb and fragments. This series united and solidified those rules of thumb and fragments into a coherent whole.

I have used PBR in Arnold for several years now, so I can't say I learned any one fact about PBR rendering that I was unaware of before from the series. Yet I learned a lot about the interconnectedness of the various parts of the LW PBR renderer, and that to me is worth every penny of the price for these tutorials. My renders in LW from this point on will be more sophisticated and will match my renders in Arnold and Renderman. This simplifies my rendering work flow and for that I am very grateful to RH!

If you want to improve your renders in LW 2018 and 2019, I can't recommend this series of tutorials highly enough!

fuzzytop
06-07-2019, 08:18 AM
One other thing... there are one or two files missing in the content distro that you will have to locate or recreate yourself (some from http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html) and an Emitter.pfx file in the BB_shot.lws

You will recreate this file as you work through the Project tutorial, but it's not good that when you open the BB_shot.lws file for the first time, it immediately asks for a non-existent Emitter.pfx. Better IMHO to either include the emitter file or delete the reference from the scene file ...

sadkkf
06-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Another request for Craig...would it be possible to include the sample scene from your volumetric lighting? I'm referring to the narrow corridor with the pillars. Following along with that, I'm just not getting the same results and it would be helpful to me to see a working example. Thank you!

starbase1
06-17-2019, 08:52 AM
OK, I'm now about halfway through the RebelHill LW 2019 tutorials, and I am seriously impressed.

They are really well structured, and were clearly planned carefully before starting, (Unlike a recent Gaea serious I bought which was basically someone mucking about for a few hours...)

I'd particularly recommend them if you are the kind of person who likes to understand WHY things work the way they do rather than just how. As so far it's not the kind of thing where you follow along in the software pressing the buttons, (though I suspect that is coming up!), this also means they are ideal for viewing when away from your computer, perhaps on your daily commute with your phone or tablet,

Highly recommended.
Nick