PDA

View Full Version : UDIM IMAGES SIZE ISSUES - Final render...

Darthpistachio
11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Hi all

can anyone confirm for me that 2018 has always had issues with proper implimentaton of UDIM textures?

I have managed to use them fine whilst I was working with low res versions of the texture set just for surfacing setup - but when I swapped out the image tile sets for the full resolution versions I noticed that the final renders were coming out massively pixellated - further inspection has shown that the UDIM when selected appears to downsample the entire set to 25% of original size and use that resampled image then for the final render..

I made a repeatable example to show the problem and submitted it as a bug report and was told I would have to wait for the next Full version release for a possible fix as the in-house current build does not appear to suffer with this issue - and there will no further 2018 patches..

I've attached some example grabs detailing the issue and some files to see if you can repeat it ..
The left box object is cubic mapped and has no resolution issues - the right object has been set up with UDIM and 16 images duplicated across the tiles and render and appears downsampled and very poor resolution..

If any of you can repeat it please let me know and If any earlier versions do not suffer with this problem I would appreciate knowing which version can be used without issues

I'm look at having to strip out about a 1000+ tiles into seperate surfaces and addressing each surface independently as a result of this.....

MSherak
11-29-2018, 05:33 PM
UDIM BUG TESTER 2 planar.lwo is using cubic mapping and UDIM BUG TESTER 2.lwo is using the UV mapping. This is why one is seeing the shift. To make the cubic map to look close to the UV, change the X position to 1.48m and the Y position to 1.545. Rendered the same on both when I did this.

As for the resolution it might be using the last mipmap instead of the base texture when making the UDIM. Which might be the bug. Double click the image to bring it in the viewer and the resolution is 5120x1024. Not the 40960x8192. I even took them down to 1024's and the same thing happens.

Darthpistachio
11-30-2018, 07:25 AM
The positioning and placement were not crucial or indeed the OGL display

The main issue is what you have confirmed (thanks) - that when the mapping is using a UDIM UV sequence - then the texture used for rendering is downsampled to 25% of proper size. And that it's not just my configuration that the issue.

I tested this in every single iteration of 2018 last night and it is a bug that has been there since the beginning of the 2018 lineup - amazed no-one noticed it before - especially now that the conversion of files from and for substance painter and it's brethren with their UDIM dependency - and such apps are basically mainstream..

I suspected that a mipmap issue might be the problem but I have diasabled mip mapping everywhre that it is possible to do so and it made no difference - it's definitely a bug and by the look of it pretty repeatable.. and not something a user can remedy.

Deuce assures me that this doesn;t happen in the latest in house build that they are using.... But we won't see a fix until the brand new release! :(

RPSchmidt
11-30-2018, 08:18 AM
On a related note, damn... I had hoped we would see more updates and fixes before the next release. At least perhaps some resolution to some of the more common feature requests that have been around for quite a while.

Darthpistachio
02-03-2019, 10:53 PM
UPDATE:

After purchasing 2019 the bug was still evident- now with a odd development in that the maps are now downsized by a factor of 8 (12.5% of original size) no matter how many tiles or what resolution the assembled UDIM tile set is - this downsampling consistently occurs.

Now with support team as active bug report.

BeeVee
02-06-2019, 05:28 AM
I haven't seen similar, have you reported this as a bug with content?

B

Darthpistachio
02-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Yes - if you read my posts you will see I reported it to Newtek via a support ticket both before Christmas and after the 2019 release. In both instances I provided files that clearly demonstrated the problem.
I was assured it wasn't present in the build they had in house in December - but it was still present in the 2019 release.
The ticket I opened is still open but no-one has replied to me in weeks :(

It's all in the posts if you read through them completely.

Have you tried the files I provided? - Here they are again 144167

Does the problem exist for you?
if so then it is repeatable - if not then the problem lies elsewhere in a specific hardware/software config.

As you can see though someone else has demonstrated the exact same problem.

As for the resolution it might be using the last mipmap instead of the base texture when making the UDIM. Which might be the bug. Double click the image to bring it in the viewer and the resolution is 5120x1024. Not the 40960x8192. I even took them down to 1024's and the same thing happens.

MarcusM
02-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Changing texture size in preferences help a little but still is visible difference between textures. Maybe if total UDIM texture would be smaller than 32k it would look ok. Now it is 40k x 8k in Image Editor but in image preview UDIM images is 5k x 1k. Looks like bug.

Darthpistachio
02-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Nope - overall UDIM texture size made no difference - no matter what the total resolution was I consistently saw resampling to 12.5% of the proper resolution when it came to render time.

The support staff have recently assured me that it is fixed and should be sorted in the next incremental patch - we will have to wait and see....