PDA

View Full Version : Clay render

sbenitezb
11-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Hi. How do you achieve a clay render with a model that doesn't have a specific clay surface? Or more specifically, how do you set all your surfaces to clay in Layout?

ccclarke
11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
You don't. Surface assignments are performed in Modeler.

With the entire Object selected, press "Q" and rename the surface "Clay". Save the object, and send to Layout for surface tweaking to get the desired look. For 99% of the surfaces I assign, 30 degrees of smoothing works perfectly. I wish it were the default instead of 89.9.

Note that Global Illumination works well with Clay renders. I typically use a white background with a cyc to cast shadows on.

When modeling, I often have two copies of the same object, Clay and normal textures, with two setup scenes ("Clay Setup" and "Setup").

Tim Parsons
11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
I had thought that maybe LW2018 would have brought clay and ambient occlusion overrides to the render engine, but alas - no. Should be possible as the Octane plugin provides it. Otherwise I think your are stuck with the multiple object route or a node you can plugin to all the different surfaces and then unplug when you want to do a color render.

sbenitezb
11-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Thank you, Carlton. I was hoping it would be easier than having multiple copies of the same object and scene. It should be as easy as in Blender to get a clay render with just some simple option.

prometheus
11-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Image processing and adding the compositing buffer export, allows for checking ambient occlusion buffers, turn on radiosity and the radiosity intensity controlls how bright the occlusion will be, hit f9 and then the ambient occlusion render can be found in the image viewers layer drop down list.
That is for 2015.3...I think it may have changed a bit in Lightwave 2018 though.

jwiede
11-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Hi. How do you achieve a clay render with a model that doesn't have a specific clay surface? Or more specifically, how do you set all your surfaces to clay in Layout?

Using LW2018, if you have either DB&W's NodeMeister plugin or TrueArt's Global Materials 2018 plugin, it's trivial to override all objects' surfaces with a single "Clay" surface.

pixym
11-26-2018, 08:47 PM
With Octane Render Clay rendering mode all the surfaces will be transformed in clay on the fly… Except the transparent ones.