PDA

View Full Version : Colour picker issue

Andy Webb
11-22-2018, 06:33 AM
I imported a PNG file of a clients logo and mapped it onto a surface, the surface colour had to match the background the logo was on.

I have the colour space set to sRGB and found I needed to set "Picked Colours" to sRGB to get a match, no problems there.

But what I did find was that if I then picked a colour from the screen, it worked as expected, but if I chose to pick a colour from a file
and chose the same file I used to pick from the screen, I got a much darker colour.

Clearly I would have expected to get the same result whether picking from the screen or a file, is this a bug or what?

Cheers

BeeVee
11-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Send a bug report and include the image and a tiny scene with an object to show the difference.

B

Andy Webb
11-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Bug report submitted :thumbsup:

Tim Parsons
11-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Be sure and set your Color Space preset to sRGB in both Layout and Modeler. There is also a check mark for "Effect Color Picker", make sure that's checked.

jwiede
11-22-2018, 11:23 AM
It really would be good if as part of fixing this issue, the dev could revert the CS presets for sRGB, etc. once again include "picked colors" and "lights" as they used to have. Gerardo can (and has repeatedly, in other threads) explained in detail why it's needed.

Andy Webb
11-23-2018, 03:30 AM
Be sure and set your Color Space preset to sRGB in both Layout and Modeler. There is also a check mark for "Effect Color Picker", make sure that's checked.

Yes I realised that...

Andy Webb
11-23-2018, 03:34 AM
It really would be good if as part of fixing this issue, the dev could revert the CS presets for sRGB, etc. once again include "picked colors" and "lights" as they used to have. Gerardo can (and has repeatedly, in other threads) explained in detail why it's needed.

Can you point me to the thread where Garardo explains why this option is needed?

Cheers

jwiede
11-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Can you point me to the thread where Garardo explains why this option is needed?

Just to be clear, I mean the user "gerardstrada", not "gerardo". See his post here (https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156284-Gradient-Colors-Aren-t-Matching&p=1540241&viewfull=1#post1540241) (and his subsequent replies).

Also, the "ideal sRGB CS preset fix" is slightly different than just changing picked colors from "Linear"->"sRGB" (per sRGB CS std), see his responses for the full explanation.