PDA

View Full Version : Save modified objects

Boris Goreta
11-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Is there a command to save modified objects when in Layout. There is save all objects but sometimes this takes a long time because it saves also objects that have not been modified.

Ma3rk
11-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Is there a command to save modified objects when in Layout. There is save all objects but sometimes this takes a long time because it saves also objects that have not been modified.

Ya, it's just a little farther down the list called Save Trans object.

Oldcode
11-19-2018, 08:32 PM
I find myself making changes to objects in Layout all the time. What I finally did was permanently add Save Current Object button to the main menu so no matter what tab I'm on, it's always there. That way I can quickly save the changes I make, especially to textures and other surface settings, quickly and easily. I renamed the button to simply "Save Object" to save space. It's one of the first things I do after a fresh install.

Hope this helps. Good Luck,

jwiede
11-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Ya, it's just a little farther down the list called Save Trans object.

Do NOT use "Save Trans Object" if you're just trying to save an object (normally).

Was sure, but also just tested to be absolutely certain: "Save Transformed Object" is NOT the same as "Save Modified Objects". "Save Transformed Object" essentially "bakes" any transformations present in Layout for that object into the object itself. IOW, the cmd changes pivot location to match animation present, etc. -- also may bake in deformation/morphs, didn't test but believe it integrates changes of that sort as well. The cmd fundamentally changes the original object to something different. It's also a destructive operation, and normally best done to a new object file, not over an existing object (which is why it asks for a filename for output).

AFAICT (OP plz correct if I'm wrong), what the OP was seeking was a cmd that just (normally) saves any modified objects in scene, but doesn't "bake in" animation, etc. into the object -- as in, does what "Save Object" does, but unlike "Save All Objects" which saves regardless of modified status, they want one which solely saves modified files. "Save Trans Object" is definitely NOT what OP requested.

Boris Goreta
11-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Yes, you are correct. There is an option to save modified objects but only when you want to close the scene and the save dialog pops up asking you if you want to save unsaved stuff. There is a check for save modified there. I would like to initiate that kind of save when I want to.

jwiede
11-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Yes, you are correct. There is an option to save modified objects but only when you want to close the scene and the save dialog pops up asking you if you want to save unsaved stuff. There is a check for save modified there. I would like to initiate that kind of save when I want to.

Great, that's what I surmised. Unfortunately, other than scripting one up somehow, I don't believe that specific type of save operation is exposed in a user-triggerable manner, other than by closing with modified changes. Let me think on it a bit, might not require much to trigger the equivalent operation.