PDA

View Full Version : Crane Cables rig?

objuan
11-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Any tips on the best way to animate cables on a moving crane?

Better yet a pre-built scene with cables already rigged?

I have a crane that rotates on it's base, and then the arm can pivot up and down. I need the cables (just simple black tubes) that stretch from the back of the base to move and stretch (or clipmask I guess, but I'd rather learn to stretch) to the top of the arm. Then there is the hook which should hang below the wrist, and be adjustable up and down, also with stretchy cables.

Thoughts, as always, appreciated...

ernpchan
11-19-2018, 01:12 PM
I don't know if Worleys Hoser still works with LW but that plugin is designed for that type of stuff.

I think you could also do it with Bullet dynamics.

objuan
11-19-2018, 01:35 PM
That all sounds complicated and like things I should learn about but am scared too...

Isn't there a way I can set a null at the wrist of the arm, and then stretch a separate cable object between it's base and the null?

BeeVee
11-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Have a look at some of the example scenes that come with 2018. There are Bullet-controlled cables and bones too, IIRC.

B

ccclarke
11-19-2018, 03:47 PM
I don't know if Worleys Hoser still works with LW but that plugin is designed for that type of stuff.

I think you could also do it with Bullet dynamics.

I can confirm Hoser works with LW 2018. (Very easy to use and set up.) I've used Steve Worley's Taft plugins for over ten years. They're an indispensable part of my workflow.

objuan
11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Well, Hoser does indeed sound exactly like what I am looking for, and not that hard or scary to learn - but I don't understand how to get it? I can read all about it on the Worley sight ( http://www.worley.com/E/taft_support.html ) but I don't seem to be able to obtain it. Clicking Purchase just takes me to the Support page. (Plus unless it's real cheap i probably don't want to purchase it for this task anyway)

Did they take it off eh, ya Hosers?

Any ideas on where to find a copy of Hoser?

ccclarke
11-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Taft/Hoser is available only through Steve's site. His big claim to fame is fPrime which I still use w/LW2015. I would suggest contacting him via email to see if his plugins are still available. Hoser is a huge timesaver, and takes just a few moments to set up.

raymondtrace
11-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Anyone who teases plugins no longer for sale should be banned from the forums. :)

I just tried out the hoser demo and it looks nifty. I just sent an email to sales at worley.com (no bounce or rejection yet). Archive.org suggests the last time it was for sale was in 2015.

This hose/cable topic is not new. There may be additional ideas here:
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145726

jeric_synergy
11-19-2018, 07:31 PM
If Worley is no longer interested in the LW market, it seems a prime opportunity for somebody to step in and take up the slack.

Well, for certain values of "prime". And "opportunity".

Ma3rk
11-19-2018, 08:11 PM
I can confirm Hoser works with LW 2018. (Very easy to use and set up.) I've used Steve Worley's Taft plugins for over ten years. They're an indispensable part of my workflow.

Those will install into 2018? What about Polk?

Guess I never tried to since Sasquatch wasn't compatible. Will have to dig out the disks I guess.

jeric_synergy
11-19-2018, 10:53 PM
I was just re-reading the Hoser dox and was wondering what specific features it offers over Spline Control? It seems a bit similar.

ccclarke
11-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Those will install into 2018? What about Polk?

Guess I never tried to since Sasquatch wasn't compatible. Will have to dig out the disks I guess.

I'll add Polk tonight, check it out, and report back.

Ztreem
11-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Just use a twopoint polychain and use bullet for movement. Takes max a couple of minutes to setup. I did a quick one and it didn't take more than 5 minutes and I haven't used Lw i several months as I have found better alternatives.

SBowie
11-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Just use a twopoint polychain and use bullet for movement. Takes max a couple of minutes to setup. I did a quick one and it didn't take more than 5 minutes and I haven't used Lw i several months as I have found better alternatives.And ... this would have been a nice, helpful post even without the completely unnecessary op ed following the word "and".

Ztreem
11-20-2018, 09:54 AM
And ... this would have been a nice, helpful post even without the completely unnecessary op ed following the word "and".

I knew you would love it! It was mostly to highlight how fast and easy the setup was even though Iíve not used LW as frequent as I used to. yeah, could have done it without that extra info, sorry.

SBowie
11-20-2018, 09:59 AM
sorry.Thanks.

ccclarke
11-20-2018, 05:28 PM
As promised, I loaded Polk in 2018 and tested its plugins. Rather than post the results here where they can easily get buried, I started a new thread: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?158570-LW2018-Worley-s-Polk-Compatible-Plugins&p=1558839#post1558839