PDA

View Full Version : Sphere deforming near other spheres

mummyman
11-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Was wondering if there was a relatively easy way to get a sphere to slightly morph in, or "squish" based on the distance to any object near it. But not just pick 2 objects, as there will be tons of them. Almost like how bullet or cloth FX would deform them when they collide. So this would be a fake interaction, but from any angle of the sphere. Doesn't seem hopeful in my brain. Thanks for any tips! What I'm aiming to do is slightly deform some bacteria while they are dividing.. but I'm using flocking to get the look. But then I'm limited to particle instances.. which then might screw my idea up for the interaction. Not a deal breaker..

ernpchan
11-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Have you tried using Effectors?

mummyman
11-20-2018, 11:48 AM
That would be way too many effectors for what I'm thinking... I guess the spheres would have to deform anytime it detects another sphere surface.. which I think is pretty unlikely without a collision system in place.

sami
11-21-2018, 12:45 AM
isn't this just metaballs? that old legacy plugin/part of LW? sounds familiar

mummyman
11-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Na.. this would be in Layout.. with a bunch of them animating. I don't think metaballs would cut it.

Dan Ritchie
11-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Hypervoxel surfaces were basically metaballs, were they not? They could effect each other.

jwiede
11-23-2018, 02:06 PM
What you're seeking is essentially a "delta mush" effector. There are a number of ways to handle it with nodes in LW, raycasting between spheres to determine distances then acting on result where appropriate would be one (off the top of my head).

However, this is also the kind of thing where soft-body dynamics is worth considering (just don't work at scale, scale up by a factor, as Bullet "dislikes" micro-scale interactions and can give "interesting" results), because it's kind of "built" for these n-body interaction simulations, as long as the objects aren't too complex w.r.t. structure.

Bernie2Strokes
11-24-2018, 12:13 AM
Just out curiosity, are you trying to simulate bacterial binary fission?