PDA

View Full Version : Still Crashing....

rqe3bc
11-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Latest version of Lightwave 2018.07, same problem...

I tried some of the suggestions in my previous post with this new install and now Modeler crashes at "Save Object." I haven't even tried anything else.

What I did:
Open Lightwave Modeler
Pick "Box" and make a box.
Pick "Save Object" I get to the "Save Object As" Dialog box and then it crashes.

I uninstalled the old Lightwave versions, shut off the hub, deleted the config file, run as Administrator (although if I'm logged in as Admin do I have to select Run as Admin?)

And...still crashes on Save Object.

I don't know what else to do.

Forgot to add I'm not using any 3rd party plug-ins or trying to open an old Lightwave file - just making a box :P

BeeVee
11-18-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure this is a LightWave problem, specifically. Have you tried opening an existing model, making an alteration and just hitting the s key? Also, when Modeler crashes are you presented with the Feedback Agent to report a bug? Please do so, there will be a crash log attached that might offer the engineers a clue as to your difficulty (but equally, you have given any detail here about your system or this other post).

B

JohnMarchant
11-18-2018, 03:12 PM
I have had none of the problems you mention, not on any version of 2018 or 2015, occasional crashes but not repeatable ones. I would guess that as BV said it might be something else on your system.

Can we get some of your system specs, are you Mac or PC, are you running it on a network or VM, do you have the required permissions and such.

rqe3bc
11-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Sorry for forgetting my system specs:

Alienware 18 (Dell laptop)
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4710MQ processor (Quad Core, 6MB Cache, Overcl ocked up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Bo ost)
Dual NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 860M graphics with 4GB total ( 2x 2GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI(R) Enabled
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MH z (4x4GB)
1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s

I rolled back to Lightwave 11.x (whatever the last version was) and that is working just fine.

Yes - crash pops up a feedback agent and I sent one during one of the crashes - I got a response to try a few things (which I have already but I'll do it again) so I can try all this again after work.

I seem to just have started getting this crashing issues since the 20XX versions - 2015 crashed but an updated version fixed that for a while, and 2018 hasn't worked at all without some sort of crashing.

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

JohnMarchant
11-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Funny i have 2015 and 2018 installed on an Alienware MX18 R2 with GTX 660 and 32GB of memory and it works fine. Mind you that laptop is old now, the predessesor of yours i think. Im also running it on a Dell XPS 15 9560, GTX 1050 and 32 GB memory with also no issues.

I would still lean towards something else on your computer interfering with LW or its installation.

Sorry i cant be of any more help, but seeing as this does not seem to have been an issue for anyone else i would say its probably not LW related. As i said i have occasionally had random crashes but none that were absolutly repeatable.

RPSchmidt
11-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Perhaps a stupid suggestion, but have you updated the video drivers? Perhaps it is an issue with the video overlay.

If you haven't, you may want to clean the old drivers out completely and do a fresh install of the most current drivers, then give LW a try.

jwiede
11-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Yes - crash pops up a feedback agent and I sent one during one of the crashes - I got a response to try a few things (which I have already but I'll do it again) so I can try all this again after work.

If you can, it'd help if you could post the register state and stack backtrace portion of the appcrash report. Knowing precisely where it crashed (as in, in what module & what the thread was doing) can be very useful.

rqe3bc
11-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Yes - I think NVidia nags me when there is an update lol. I might have some old drivers lurking around - I'll check for that - thanks!

Sure...ummm....where do I find the appcrash report?

calilifestyle
11-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Yes - I think NVidia nags me when there is an update lol. I might have some old drivers lurking around - I'll check for that - thanks!

Sure...ummm....where do I find the appcrash report?

It's most likely the embed python this has been one of the problems since 2015, for me. Not sure why but for some weird reason the path changes and only for Lightwave no other programs end up with this problem. I would say LW related. The only way to see if this is the problem is checking as jwiede wrote.
download the free visual studio or whatever else you want to use to debug.

rqe3bc
11-19-2018, 08:28 PM
I think I might have found the problem. Apparently Dell Alien Respawn is known to cause these issues with a few programs. The Win 7 & 8 versions do not work well with Win 10 upgrades from 7 & 8 (in my case Win 8.)

I couldn't even do all the steps sent by the response to the crash report because Layout crashed at the "Scan Plugins" dialog box as well.

So I uninstalled Respawn, reinstalled Lightwave and Lightwave 2018.07 saved a couple of test objects (box and circle) without crashing.

So far so good - I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope Respawn was the problem. If it crashes again I'll start looking at the drivers, Python, etc.

Odd it only crashes a couple of programs with Lightwave being one of them. I usually keep all my software up to date and no problems with anything else.

JohnMarchant
11-20-2018, 03:07 AM
That might explain why it did not happen to me. The first thing i did on both of my laptops and indeed any desktop is do a full reinstall and remove all the bloatware installed on the computer.