PDA

View Full Version : Last call for AR Portfolio before the price jump (+ a little explanation)

ConjureBunny
11-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Hey kid, you want AR? I got some AR in my van. Check it out...

-----

Seriously, if you're interested in augmented reality, I assure you, there are lots of ways to get into it, and all of them are free or cheap. You don't need my kit. I'm just trying to make it super easy to do the hard parts. You can totally do this on your own though.

But...

Starting tomorrow, AR Portfolio will see a massive price hike, to $1500. There are some reasons for this...

1. I didn't intend on making money selling this, I planned on making money selling things I can build with it. But I thought some of you might like in on it while I was putting the pieces together, and some of you have some really sharp insight I was hoping to learn from. And I have. So I don't mind sharing my toys with people who are contributing to its design and ultimately, success. My end goal is to create a robust AR platform that I can use for my own projects.

2. It's hard for me to keep a straight face when I tell people, "I'm going to build you this amazing AR thing" and they ask how much it would cost them to just do it themselves, and they find out I'm selling a kit that does a lot of the work for them, to anyone with a spare $50.

3. I've been holding out on a few final features that I'm going to disclose probably next week. These have taken a lot of effort to build, and as far as I know, are rather unique. They will give ARP users a massive lead over other people using other AR platforms. They're a major part of the reason for the price hike.

So over the weekend (probably tomorrow, depending on whether or not I remember), the price goes up to roughly $1500. Users who get in now, will continue to receive free updates for at least the next year. I have no idea what the future of AR is, but I plan on being there, wherever that ends up.

I think I've given everyone who wants in, a chance to get in. If not, consider this a last call. Or just use one of the many excellent free or cheap products out there, I'm sure they're all very nice.

Click here for more info (https://www.liberty3d.com/2018/08/ar-portfolio/)

Thank you,
-Chilton Webb

ernpchan
11-15-2018, 09:37 AM
I bought mine.

So after the first year how does the version upgrade/maintenance upgrade process work?

ConjureBunny
11-15-2018, 09:48 AM
I bought mine.

So after the first year how does the version upgrade/maintenance upgrade process work?

That's a really good question. I don't know.

I'm going to keep shelling out free updates for the life of the product, probably. I mean, that's how I've done every personal product I've worked on.

But a year from now, who knows, the AR landscape might be radically different. So I can only guarantee free updates for the next year.

The cutting edge often draws blood :-D

-Chilton

ernpchan
11-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to get up to speed with Unity. The possibilities with it are so exciting. I have to make time to watch your tutorial videos.

omichon
11-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Chilton, so your "last call" doesn't concern any current AR Portfolio user, right ?
Even those, like me, who have purchased AR Showcase during the promotional timeframe and were eligible for a free upgrade to AR Portfolio ?

ConjureBunny
11-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Basically, if you have access to the 'secret page', you're in. And I started that with the first AR Portfolio.

So I think in your case, you're in. If not, send me a private message with your email address and I'll see if we missed you or something. You should be in.

-Chilton

omichon
11-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Basically, if you have access to the 'secret page', you're in. And I started that with the first AR Portfolio.

So I think in your case, you're in. If not, send me a private message with your email address and I'll see if we missed you or something. You should be in.

-Chilton

Thanks for the clarification, Chilton !
I am in :)

ConjureBunny
11-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Well moly carp I legit thought today was Friday.

I'm bumping the price up on Saturday. That's my point. Saturday is deadline. Not tomorrow.

I need a calendar or an assistant or something. geez.

Qexit
11-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Well moly carp I legit thought today was Friday.

I'm bumping the price up on Saturday. That's my point. Saturday is deadline. Not tomorrow.

I need a calendar or an assistant or something. geez.I wouldn't worry too much Chilton. In your earlier thread you did post this message about when the offer would come to an end:

'But after November 15, it's going to cost a lot more to get into the program. So if you want in dirt cheap, this is your chance.
After the 15th, I'll have a big announcement, but that's not for several more days'

Today is the 15th, so maybe you got your days and dates mixed up back then. Too much staring at lines of code can have this affect as I know from past personal experience :)

adk
11-15-2018, 04:59 PM

-Chilton

Thanks for the heads up Chilton!

I purchased mine late April, which was AR Portfolio as far as I recall.
Just checked and I do have access to the "Insider" page so assume that's what you're referencing there.
I haven't had too much time of late to delve into this as I'm stuck in UE4 building other work related projects, but as soon as I get a spare few days I'm definitely checking this out.
Sure glad I got in early :)

ConjureBunny
11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Today is the 15th, so maybe you got your days and dates mixed up back then. Too much staring at lines of code can have this affect as I know from past personal experience :)

I sure did, and I blame that same thing :)

And who puts a 16th on a Friday anyway? That doesn't even make sense. These numbers are all screwed up.

gdkeast
11-15-2018, 11:55 PM
Thanks for sharing this.

Speaking of the future, I found this video about AI and the future of 3D fairly insightful. It is BG but I think it clearly applies to LW as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgLxSLsYWQ