PDA

View Full Version : Truly "Gothic" starship -- maybe too gothic...

cathuria
01-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Well, here's my holiday project just for myself.
I had at first thought about tackling a "Battlefleet Gothic" ship but I really wanted to do something original.
So I made my very own concept of a "gothic" spaceship -- although perhaps I took the whole gothic thing a bit too far...

For those who like to keep score -- 830K poly's and 83 point lights.
Happy New Year!

cathuria
01-01-2004, 11:17 AM
And here's a few beauty shots I made of the unsrufaced model...

SODAPLAY
01-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Nice ship.
Hey, in the second picture with white background, how do you do it? You set 100% luminocity for the background? or what? How about the ship? Radiocity? Backdrop? I'm wondering because I like this kind of looks, but not sure how people do it. Can you tell me?

Thanks.

- SODA

cathuria
01-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks!

The beauty shots were done with radiosity, the only light source in this case being the Textured Environment backdrop (I just set a gradient on "pitch" from white at the top to medium gray at the bottom, to get a little more "overhead" lighting).

I rendered them out with the alpha channel and then comp'ed them onto a fresh white background in Photoshop.

BEDOFDOLLS
01-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Love it. Got the gothic down good

veljko
01-02-2004, 12:55 AM
here is what themaxx had to say about making thoes kinda shoots:
hope it helpes, I found it works like a charm:)

Create a dome with the polys facing inward. (I include a ground plane in this object for convenience, but give it a separate surface.)

On the dome surface, set diffuse to 0 and luminosity to 100%.

In layout, bring up the properties dialog on the dome and turn off "self shadow" and "cast shadow".

Place your object inside the dome.

Turn radiosity on. (monte carlo, 4 x 12 works pretty well)

Since radiosity is going to illuminate the scene, the other lighting needs to be cut way back. In this scene I set ambient to 5% (I do this anyway, radiosity or not), and I set the global light intensity to 40% to cut the other lights in the scene down.

Hit F9 and go get a sandwich.

meshmaster
01-02-2004, 10:25 AM
but, I don't like the row of arches along the transept... resize some of em or something... looks "too perfect" to really be a functional part of the ship... if you did something to em, like make them progressively smaller or resize some of them, or make them little escape pods or something, it'd be totally cool!

cathuria
01-03-2004, 07:25 AM
meshmaster: well, to be honest, there's not a whole lot of the ship that's there for function :p
But the idea of modifying them into escape pods or something is intriguing...

pauland
01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I can't say I'm a big fan of the model. One thing that seems to jar is the 'gothic' architecture set upon rather bland blocks. It seems to me that to make this work, you'd have to carry the Gothic theme somewhat further.

It's nice to see a new innovative spaceship idea though.

Paul

cathuria
01-05-2004, 07:50 AM
pauland: Well, I sort of agree with you...
My original concept was to use contradictory elements like this -- while modeling I did begin to wonder how it might work if I carried the architectural elements throught the structure...

Ah, well -- that's what "version 2" is for, right?;)

archiea
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
makes me wanna marry some gothic chick in it with tatoos and tons of piercings