PDA

View Full Version : Something cuddly...

Aegis
01-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Here's a little fella I did for a recent job using LightWave and Sasquatch...

F1Racer
01-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Excellent ! You seem to have a very good command of Sasquatch there.

Just needs a Christmassy background to perfect the shot.

Great work.:)

maveryck
01-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Very nice command of sasq - is that sasq lite or the full version? Or is that a newbie question? :)

hrgiger
01-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I'd be surprised if it was saslite.

It looks great. I especially love the fur on the hat and clothes.

adrian
01-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Yeah that's excellent fur. Are you going to animate him/her?

Adrian.

Aegis
01-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the kind comments!

In answer to the questions, this was done using the full version of Sasquatch - Sas-Lite can do a lot of what you see here but the full plugin has a far greater degree of fine control in addition to killer features such as allowing the fur to flow with the object geometry - originally I was gonna texture map the clothes but Sasquatch did such a great job I didn't have to.

I didn't get to animate him this time but the client has some ideas for future projects which may include some animated bears.

I worked with two other freelancers on this job and they were responsible for backgrounds and additional product modelling - in the finished ad the bears are sat in a nice, snowy landscape.

Here's the other bears I did - I'm not too happy with the texturing on the sleigh and the presents but I just ran out of time :(

Zarathustra
01-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes, very cute.

I like those ropes on the sleigh.

archiea
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
aegis, how about doing a tutorial over ar Worley.. the bear seems to use different types of fur... makes for a great tutorial!!!!!

Chrysolithos
01-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Working in saslite, I can do a good pompom and white furry trim to a santa hat, but I'm having a hard time getting the red part right. (Furry but not too furry, like you have it.)Have I just not found the right setting, or is that one of the reasons to get the full Sas?

maveryck
01-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Good question Chryso - I have saslite that I got with my copy of Inside Lightwave 7, and I've only just begun to read it, and am as yet unfamiliar with either the full or the lite version, and I was wondering if there is a thread or some information I should look at to see what the differences so I can decide whether or not I need the full version at this point (of course it would be nice to have, but I need to know if it is a requirement for me...)

Thanks!

Aegis
01-06-2004, 10:11 AM
archiea: I'd be happy to post a 'tut either here or at Worley Labs - all the project files for the bear are at the studio I did this for but I've got some more work to do for them soon so I'll post a link for the files and the 'tut as soon as I get a chance - in the meantime I'm working on a video tutorial for Mirage's particle system - coming soon!

Chrysolithos: This "short fur" effect is something that the full version of Sasquatch excels at - I got pretty close with SasLite but the thing that made it was that Sasquatch can render your fur so it follows the flow of the geometry - you get a much more natural effect. One thing to bear (no pun intended) in mind is that if you make the fur too short, the geometry will show through so bearing (*cough*) this in mind, I made the geometry purposefully smaller than the correct scale - I could up the fur length and still make it look the right size. One other point - you're not limited to 100% on the fur density - you can ramp it up to get a greater coverage although this will impact your render times. With this kind of look you shouldn't be casting shadows and also turn off clumping and frizz. One last thing, both Sasquatch and SasLite work best with multiple lights in the scene - if you light with just one light the fur always looks wrong so pay equal attention to the lighting - glancing lights work best.

maveryck: I can't stress highly enough what a great plugin Sasquatch is - SasLite is useful but Sasquatch is amazing - you can just sit and play with it for hours tweaking and experimenting. I'll compile a list of the major differences the next time I'm in the studio and post 'em here.