PDA

View Full Version : AR Portfolio Roadmap and Pricing Update

ConjureBunny
11-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,

I'm increasing the price for AR Portfolio soon. The product does what I wanted it to do, and I'll be maintaining it for existing users, going forward.
0. It's super easy to use.
1. It's dirt cheap.
2. It's as extendable as possible, built on publicly available and free modules
3. It's not limited by number of images, ownership of your content, or watermarks
4. Built on a platform that can be updated by anyone
5. I haven't obscured or hidden any of the code I wrote. If something happens to me, this will be easy for you to maintain. Etc.
6. It's tested across a wide variety of platforms
7. It's fast.

But after November 15, it's going to cost a lot more to get into the program. So if you want in dirt cheap, this is your chance.
After the 15th, I'll have a big announcement, but that's not for several more days :)

For more info, click here. (https://www.liberty3d.com/2018/11/ar-portfolio-roadmap/)

-Chilton

TheLexx
11-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Definitely worth clicking on. We are talking an increase in price from $49.73 to $1499.00.

My maths is very rusty but that is an increase of over 30 times. Is that a 3000% increase ? (Probably more in line with what it is worth.)

Maybe a bug but at this exact moment Kat's 40% discount coupon seems to apply, which means if you are quick, it is technically available for only $29.84 !!!

I intend to grab it before the deadline, and respectfully advise others to at least consider what this "crazy little app" can do (https://www.liberty3d.com/2018/08/ar-portfolio/). Sorry for melodramatic paragraphs but this should be clear for 'Wavers.

:)

ConjureBunny
11-10-2018, 03:20 PM
I have such plans :)

The thing is, once I move into what I consider 'phase 2' for this, there's no way I can justify the $50 price tag. It will be imperative that people NOT be able to get access to it so cheaply, in fact.

So I thought I'd give people one last chance to jump in, if they want in. And yeah, with the coupon, it's even cheaper. I think that might even be cheaper than it's ever been before, even when it first launched.

-Chilton

Qexit
11-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Looks really interesting. However, I'm one of those rare people who doesn't own a smartphone and the only tablet I have is an Amazon Fire HD. Does AR Portfolio work on one of those ?

ConjureBunny
11-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Amazon Fire HD
I don't think it works on those, at least not the current version. V 1.5 did, but that was because it used Vuforia on the back end. And ground plane tracking is abysmal in Vuforia on Android. Image marker support on that is top notch though. So I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

Generally though, I'd say no.

-Chilton

cg_mike
11-11-2018, 01:00 AM
Looks cool! Congrats on the amazing development progress on this and Glycon!

Tried to buy AR Portfolio, but Liberty3D doesn't recognize my account info anymore (my last purchase there was in 2014), and the password recovery link doesn't appear to recognize the email address from my last order.

When I tried to create a new account the site responds "User registration is currently not allowed."

Any ideas or recommendations? Is it available for purchase elsewhere?

Thanks!

fishhead
11-11-2018, 02:38 AM
While we are at it: Maybe you can help me out here, Clinton. I bought in the ARShowcaseFactory-Offer a while ago. but havenīt really used it much.
Now I am a bit confused about all the versions that you offer: ARKit, ARCore, ARPortfolio... Can you shed some light on how they relate to eachother and where my ARShowcasePortfolio fits in?
Please excuse if I ask the obvious...

Markc
11-11-2018, 04:04 AM

Tried to buy AR Portfolio, but Liberty3D doesn't recognize my account info anymore (my last purchase there was in 2014), and the password recovery link doesn't appear to recognize the email address from my last order.

When I tried to create a new account the site responds "User registration is currently not allowed."

Thanks!

I would email Kat directly and get your account back online, so you don’t miss out on this deal.

Qexit
11-11-2018, 04:05 AM
I don't think it works on those, at least not the current version. V 1.5 did, but that was because it used Vuforia on the back end. And ground plane tracking is abysmal in Vuforia on Android. Image marker support on that is top notch though. So I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

Generally though, I'd say no.

-ChiltonThanks for the reply Chilton. As it stands, I have no real use for it right now other than curiosity. But I might have a need/use for it in the future, so I have to weigh up picking it up now while it is available at a knockdown price or kicking myself when I have a use for it and can't afford it.

jwiede
11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
While we are at it: Maybe you can help me out here, Clinton. I bought in the ARShowcaseFactory-Offer a while ago. but havenīt really used it much.
Now I am a bit confused about all the versions that you offer: ARKit, ARCore, ARPortfolio... Can you shed some light on how they relate to eachother and where my ARShowcasePortfolio fits in?

AFAICT, there's only a single "AR Portfolio" product from Chilton. Most of those other names you mention are software components used by AR Portfolio, or for which AR Portfolio produces compatible content, but they aren't separate Chilton products themselves, per se. Hope that helps!

ConjureBunny
11-12-2018, 11:56 PM

Hi Fishhead,

Absolutely.

ARShowcaseFactory was the predecessor to AR Portfolio. AR-P is a layer on top of several underlying AR technologies.

Imagine a car. You don't care what engine is in it, as long as it gets you from place to place. I realize this isn't actually how cars work, but imagine if you had a car that was periodically updated to includes the best engine, whatever it is, but other than that, it drives the same.

My idea was that as augmented reality software changed, I would update the core product, while you as a user would be relatively insulated from the changes.

AR Portfolio is a wrapper around Unity, ARKit, ARCore, and Vuforia, as needed.

ARKit is the underlying engine for the iOS builds, written by Apple. It's insanely great, but limited to the Apple platform. It has no license restrictions.

ARCore is the underlying engine for Android builds, and is written by Google. It's buggy as hell, but it's free. And AR Portfolio fixes those bugs where I find them. It has no license restrictions.

Vuforia is the underlying engine for both platforms if you need it. Version 1.5 of AR Portfolio is specifically Vuforia based, and I might add a custom build of that in the near future. It has a few restrictions, based on what you want to do. It's not required for version 2.x of AR Portfolio

AR Portfolio is a wrapper for all of this, which lets you use one common, very easy to use system to create AR content. As the underlying tech changes, this wrapper changes under the hood, but hopefully not too much on the end user side. As I find bugs in the underlying stuff, I fix those. And in many cases, I'm adding to the toolkit in places where I feel like there should be something more. For example, light estimation was available on both ARKit and ARCore. But neither made it easy to use. AR Portfolio swaps to the right engine and figures all of that out for you, so you get automatic, and accurate, lighting estimation.

HTH,
-Chilton

ConjureBunny
11-13-2018, 12:00 AM

Thanks!

That sucks! Send me a direct message with your email and I'll try to get that sorted out.

-Chilton

ernpchan
11-13-2018, 12:09 AM
It turns out that you don't need to make an account to make a purchase. Just add them to the cart and checkout. I bought my copy last night.

cg_mike
11-14-2018, 12:13 AM
That sucks! Send me a direct message with your email and I'll try to get that sorted out.

-Chilton

Thanks. I was able to buy it at Liberty3D without a login late Sunday night/Monday morning. :rock:

From your technology breakdown post above, it sounds like I can get to the end result via LightWave or Blender or anything else that will get assets into Unity. Is that right?

It turns out that you don't need to make an account to make a purchase. Just add them to the cart and checkout. I bought my copy last night.

Indeed. Got slammed with work the past couple days and didn't get back to this thread until now. Thank you for stepping in and posting about this so that others won't have trouble if they want to order! :thumbsup:

fishhead
11-14-2018, 03:02 AM
Hi Fishhead,

Absolutely.

ARShowcaseFactory was the predecessor to AR Portfolio. AR-P is a layer on top of several underlying AR technologies.

[ ... ]
HTH,
-Chilton

Thanks for the very clear info, Chilton. - in other words this means I can basically ditch ARShowcasefactory, right? So I will have to go and purchase ARPortfolio to get the full set of current features. Too bad I missed the Black Friday opportunity...

ConjureBunny
11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
From your technology breakdown post above, it sounds like I can get to the end result via LightWave or Blender or anything else that will get assets into Unity. Is that right?

Correct. Any way you can cram assets in, will work.

Basically, any FBX files you have, should work.

-Chilton

Norka
11-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Chilton, I am intrigued by this offer.. but at the same time I am a highly skilled JS programmer (in addition to being a talented 3D artist and designer - not to toot my own horn - oh what the hell, toot! toot!), and I have worked extensively in threejs and build my apps from scratch... So here is my question: Aside from speed and ease of use, is there anything AR Portfolio & Unity can do that would be virtually impossible to do in threejs? I just haven't had time to play with AR at all or research it much, since I have been swamped for many months and will be through Spring 2019...

ConjureBunny
11-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Chilton, I am intrigued by this offer.. but at the same time I am a highly skilled JS programmer (in addition to being a talented 3D artist and designer - not to toot my own horn - oh what the hell, toot! toot!), and I have worked extensively in threejs and build my apps from scratch... So here is my question: Aside from speed and ease of use, is there anything AR Portfolio & Unity can do that would be virtually impossible to do in threejs? I just haven't had time to play with AR at all or research it much, since I have been swamped for many months and will be through Spring 2019...

Well, first, I can say that your JS skills are not lost on Unity. Javascript and C# are the two main languages used, and you can do pretty much everything in either language. So if you haven't done so yet, you might check it out. Your skills will translate very easily.

There are a few things I've found easier in Unity than in ThreeJS. But first, let me say that my experience with ThreeJS is limited. I used it for a website a few years ago where I needed a custom drone design to be something a user could disassemble and reassemble in their web browser, and I built a playground configurator in it as well. Same idea, let the user design a 3D model in their browser. But that's the extent of it. I didn't really experiment with high quality textures or shaders or anything like that.

My experience with that vs Unity is that with Unity, you can load insanely heavy FBX files into an app (and have them load instantly), store and render really high def lighting, and play back high quality, butter smooth animations with high poly models.

What I don't know is how extensive ThreeJS' AR support is. I've noticed there are some third party apps that apparently make use of it though.

-Chilton

jwiede
11-16-2018, 04:54 PM
I suspect (but haven't checked to prove/disprove yet) the push for VR/AR games are putting pressure on Unity w.r.t. VR/AR support at stronger level than for platforms like threejs which are a bit less gaming-driven overall.

ConjureBunny
11-16-2018, 07:20 PM
That checks out. Between Unreal and Unity, they're pushing each other to constantly outdo the other with regard to performance and capabilities. I don't really see anyone else competing in that arena.

ConjureBunny
11-17-2018, 03:18 PM
I'm officially bumping the price at midnight CST.

I think everyone has bought in who wants in, but if not, that's the deadline for the current price.

The product will still be available for sale, but it will cost more.

-Chilton