PDA

View Full Version : disappearing surface panels

stylus10
11-06-2018, 03:18 PM
hi folks, i hope you're good. i have this problem on my win10 2018 (any) of disappearing surface panels. the workaround that was suggested was to delete the configs and this does work. once. the second time i boot up, the panels disappear again. in both modeler and layout.
what can i do to permanently fix this situation? as you might imagine it's a little time consuming to do this as often as required. thanks for your help, i am confused as to why this has remained an issue for so long, for apparently just me.

Kryslin
11-07-2018, 07:26 AM
We're probably going to need some more information about your lightwave install to help.

Are your configs in the default directory, or a custom one? While this shouldn't be happening, since you've deleted your configs and let lightwave rebuild them, but I'll ask anyway - if using a custom directory for your configs, has this directory been used with previous versions of lightwave? Config files are not compatible between versions, and can cause problems. Have you tried re-assigning the surface panel to a different hot key? Perhaps you have something else that is using f5 (the default key) or whatever key you have assigned for something at the system level...

BeeVee
11-07-2018, 09:41 AM
And have you previously had a multi-monitor setup and that has changed? Might the Surface Editor be appearing on a screen you no longer have?

B

stylus10
11-07-2018, 10:16 AM
excellent suggestions. i do not have my configs in a custom place. when i delete them i watch them rebuild in a file explorer window. if the hot key is getting reassigned, it's happening on the second reboot because the firs boot is fine, i can hit the hot key over and over again and the widow opens and closes as per usual. so how would that happen?

i do have a multi monitor setup, but nothing has changed in quite some time. but i have scouted around for the panel on hidden places. the thing is that if i push f5 (edit: or the menu button)
i can see the panel flash on then off. but i can't get it to say on.

Kryslin
11-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Hmmm, just on a lark, reassign the hot key for the surface panels to something other than f5, to see what happens.

It almost sounds like the key is bouncing. Does it do the same thing when you press then menu button? (from the left hand tool bar, under editors...)?

stylus10
11-07-2018, 02:17 PM
yes, i'm sorry i should have been more complete, it does the same thing when i push the menu button. flash, then gone.

Kryslin
11-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Hmmm. Are you doing this with all your plugins installed, or clean (no 3rd party plugins installed at all)?

This next one is time consuming - if it isn't clean, remove all your 3rd party plugins, and make sure autoscan plugins is disabled. If the problem goes away, then add your plugins one at a time, and retest. When the problem happens again, you've got your culprit. If not, then I suspect you may need to open a ticket with support, and reference this thread as to what you've already done.

Ma3rk
11-07-2018, 07:45 PM
This is sounding more video cardish to me frankly. What do you have monitor wise & video card?

stylus10
11-08-2018, 06:46 AM
i have a 2 vizio 4k and one sony 720. i have an nvidia titan card. also it has begun to happen to other panels too. specifically, the render properties panel.

Kryslin
11-08-2018, 09:01 AM
i have a 2 vizio 4k and one sony 720. i have an nvidia titan card. also it has begun to happen to other panels too. specifically, the render properties panel.

Then, on that route, see if you can find a utility that will tell you how the specs of your video card while driving 3 monitors. Like, how much video memory is being used, how hot the card is running, etc.

Strider_X
11-08-2018, 10:29 AM
This maybe a long shot but try turning off and unplugging all but one display.
Look in Screen Resolution and make sure that windows only see's one display then reset your LW config's

Your desktop area should now match one display.

Open LW and see if the panel's return

stylus10
11-08-2018, 02:07 PM
thank you for your suggestions. i will get to them asap. right now i've gone back to lw 15 to get this job out. i will get back to this as time allows.

jaf
11-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Do you use all three monitors all the time? I have a 4k and two HD's (one is a TV.) Once in a while I enable the TV to show others in the room something or other. Sometimes after disabling the third display, I "lose" apps/windows and find them trying to go to the disabled display. Not sure if it's a win10 or Nvidia driver problem. Didn't happen until the past couple of years.