PDA

View Full Version : db&w Tools on Patreon

Lightwolf
11-01-2018, 09:02 AM
https://www.db-w.com/images/slides/dbwTools_Patreon_960x480.jpg

We want take the db&w Tools to the next level and we want you to be a part of it. Support us on Patreon.

db&w Tools are a collection of plugins for LightWave 3D. Previously these were available as a free download.

What We Intend to Do
With your support we want to make db&w Tools even better:

Add a new plugin to the db&w Tools every month. We will allow you to choose between different ideas that we propose.
You will be a part of development - we'll keep you posted as we progress.
will host a Q&A stream per month as well as one live development stream per month.
If we meet our stretch goal, we can up the ante and add two plugins per month - or work on a single, larger one.
The builds you get will be personalised (your name in the about section) but not dongle locked.
You will get a discount of 1% on our regular products per month that you're pledged - up to 12%.
Join us on our Discord server, in a section exclusive to patrons.

You can be a patron for as little as US$3 per month.

Join us Now! (https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=14370980)

We look forward to developing for you, with you.

More information is available on our website (https://www.db-w.com/23-frontpage/279-db-w-tools-on-patreon) and our Patreon page (https://www.patreon.com/dbw).

gdkeast
11-02-2018, 02:32 AM
This sounds great. I want to support anyone who is supporting LW and keeping it competitive.

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 04:46 AM
This sounds great. I want to support anyone who is supporting LW and keeping it competitive.
Thank you. :)

Cheers,
Mike

3dslider
11-02-2018, 05:13 AM
Nice for Patreon, if i support you, you can help me since you make new lwpp for plugin to Lightwave 2018? Not sure but are you agreed ? And need a good documentation for it too. Long time I needed to assist to my project because it's rare...

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 05:22 AM
Nice for Patreon, if i support you, you can help me since you make new lwpp for plugin to Lightwave 2018? Not sure but are you agreed ? And need a good documentation for it too. Long time I needed to assist to my project because it's rare...
Well, the Patreon isn't really designed for lwpp, but there will be Q&A sessions, and you can ask me about lwpp there as well.
As you can anyhow but just mailing me - [email protected] ;)

Cheers,
Mike

gar26lw
11-02-2018, 05:34 AM
Request : Pictrix Resize x64

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/ReSize/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztR8Y6OgHk

tell me how much

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Request : Pictrix Resize x64

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/ReSize/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztR8Y6OgHk

tell me how much

I'm afraid that's not how the Patreon works.

However, if you'd like custom development I can offer you a quote.

Cheers,
Mike

lardbros
11-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Joined up! Great idea and I'm willing to support all the great LightWave devs. Exciting!

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Joined up! Great idea and I'm willing to support all the great LightWave devs. Exciting!

Thank you very much. :)

The vote for the first new plugin is currently underway for patrons, the options are a MultiMaths node, a MultiSwitcher node and a Triplanar Image Mapping node.

Cheers,
Mike

wesleycorgi
11-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Is there a way to pay for a year in advance? I would rather pay in a lump sum vs. every month (too many subscriptions nowadays).

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Is there a way to pay for a year in advance? I would rather pay in a lump sum vs. every month (too many subscriptions nowadays).

As far as I'm aware Patreon doesn't allow for that. But they will charge you automatically and you can cancel (and re-join) any time.

Cheers,
Mike

wesleycorgi
11-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info. With respect to jumping in and out of the subscription, if I decided to join for a month can I continue to use that specific version even if I never resubscribe?

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info. With respect to jumping in and out of the subscription, if I decided to join for a month can I continue to use that specific version even if I never resubscribe?

Yes, that's the deal. There's no DRM on the plugins - you will however get a personalised copy with your name on it. And that specific version will also include all previous additions.

Cheers,
Mike

Greenlaw
11-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Signed up yesterday. Very happy to support you guys. exrTrader has been an essential tool in my kit for many years. Some of your other tools have saved me from what could have been many hours of tedious work. Keep up the great work!

Lightwolf
11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Signed up yesterday. Very happy to support you guys. exrTrader has been an essential tool in my kit for many years. Some of your other tools have saved me from what could have been many hours of tedious work. Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot for the nice words. :) I think the Patreon is going to be a fun and interesting ride.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
11-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Great idea, I like you’re thinking creatively on the funding! I’ll be signing up for the Apple Tax, er I mean - In My Eye version over the weekend. I’m a sucker for anything that improves workflow, not necessarily the super math-y based ones but the beauty of this is that it sounds like there’s something for everyone. Interested to see where it goes.

OFF
11-03-2018, 02:57 AM
Simple Colour Corrector are not included in db&w Tools for lw 2018? Can't find this node.

Lightwolf
11-03-2018, 06:55 AM
Great idea, I like youíre thinking creatively on the funding! Iíll be signing up for the Apple Tax, er I mean - In My Eye version over the weekend. Iím a sucker for anything that improves workflow, not necessarily the super math-y based ones but the beauty of this is that it sounds like thereís something for everyone. Interested to see where it goes.

Hehe, thanks. Yeah, "a little something for everyone" was the tag line we used with the db&w Tools. ;)

And while the funding is certainly a large part of it, it's the interaction with the community that makes the Patreon project interesting for us.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
11-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Simple Colour Corrector are not included in db&w Tools for lw 2018? Can't find this node.

It should be, Windows or MacOS?

This is the last public release for Windows.

Cheers,
Mike

OFF
11-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Yes, it was a glitch, after reinstalling everything was back to normal.

cg_mike
11-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Joined as a Patron on Friday.
:beerchug:

Used the free db&w tools on several projects and even though LW is slipping into a secondary role in my 3d work I'm very happy to support your continued efforts! :hammer:

Lightwolf
11-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Yes, it was a glitch, after reinstalling everything was back to normal.
:boogiedow

- - - Updated - - -

Joined as a Patron on Friday.
:beerchug:

Used the free db&w tools on several projects and even though LW is slipping into a secondary role in my 3d work I'm very happy to support your continued efforts! :hammer:

Thank you, it's very much appareciated. :)

Cheers,
Mike

gar26lw
11-04-2018, 07:32 PM
I'm afraid that's not how the Patreon works.

However, if you'd like custom development I can offer you a quote.

Cheers,
Mike

sure, how much do you think? :)

jwiede
11-04-2018, 08:04 PM
sure, how much do you think? :)

What specifically do you want from PxResize plugin that isn't done by "new tools" Transform in 11.x?

adk
11-05-2018, 04:13 AM
Wanna see what you're cooking up Mike so count me in ! :)

Lightwolf
11-05-2018, 04:32 AM
Wanna see what you're cooking up Mike so count me in ! :)

Me too - and thank you for your support. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Tim Parsons
11-05-2018, 07:16 AM
It should be, Windows or MacOS?

This is the last public release for Windows.

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike, do you think you could spell "Colour" correctly? :) Every time I search for your plugin in the node search it never comes up. :)

Lightwolf
11-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Hey Mike, do you think you could spell "Colour" correctly? :) Every time I search for your plugin in the node search it never comes up. :)

But it is. Don't blame me if everybody else gets it wrong. ;)

You could also just search for "colo" :D

Cheers,
Mike

gar26lw
11-06-2018, 12:01 AM
What specifically do you want from PxResize plugin that isn't done by "new tools" Transform in 11.x?

snapping, non uniform scaling, works well in perspective, has snap guide lines, has movable pivot for location of the scaling origin.

- - - Updated - - -

it is, isn't it? Don't think he missed the u ;)

Lightwolf
11-08-2018, 02:16 PM
We finally put up a video as well. :)

https://youtu.be/xxyZsYtnL28

Cheers,
Mike

paulk
11-10-2018, 01:09 PM
We finally put up a video as well. :)

https://youtu.be/xxyZsYtnL28

Cheers,
Mike

There's sound but no picture when I view your video here in the forum and on YouTube.

Lightwolf
11-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Hi Paul,

That's odd, it works here on Chrome, another machine on FF and on my phone as well.

What are you viewing it in?

Cheers,
Mike

paulk
11-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Hi, Mike.

FF Quantum 63.0.1, Win7 x64 Enterprise.

Chrome 70.0.3538.10, IE 11.0.9600.19155 and Opera 56.0.3051.99 are fine

Lightwolf
11-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Hi, Mike.

FF Quantum 63.0.1, Win7 x64 Enterprise.

Chrome 70.0.3538.10, IE 11.0.9600.19155 and Opera 56.0.3051.99 are fine

Well, that's three out of four. I wonder if youTube works on your first combo at all...

Cheers,
Mike

paulk
11-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Hi, Mike.

youTube is a no-show also with FireFox. Sound, but no picture. Again, the other 3 are fine.

Maybe there's a plug-in for FF I need? Everybody else's embedded and youTube videos are fine.

Lightwolf
11-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Maybe there's a plug-in for FF I need? Everybody else's embedded and youTube videos are fine.
Hi Paul,

I don't think so, YouTube re-encodes the videos if they don't meet the specs anyhow. And I did follow their guidelines when encoding them.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
11-19-2018, 06:18 AM

We would like to thank all of our patrons for their support.

Not only did we send out the first build of the Triplanar Mixer node today, but we've also added two new modes to the Exposure Pixel Filter as a token of appreciation.

Thank you!

And if you're not a patron already, come support us at https://www.patreon.com/dbw

lardbros
11-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Cool! Thanks for the brilliant plugin Mike!

I was meant to watch your live stream, but when I checked at 9pm here in the UK it didn't seem to be online yet. Watched it this morning instead.

Looking forward to next month!

Lightwolf
11-19-2018, 07:20 AM
Cool! Thanks for the brilliant plugin Mike!

I was meant to watch your live stream, but when I checked at 9pm here in the UK it didn't seem to be online yet. Watched it this morning instead.

Looking forward to next month!

It was a bit rough... but we're prepared to learn. ;) We always expected the first month to be rough and it'll take some time to find a groove - but it's been worth it so far.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
11-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Our patrons on Patreon just got an update on the development of the Triplanar Mapper node.

You're welcome to support our development and have a voice in what we do by becoming a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

ernpchan
11-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Are the plugins you build as part of the Patreon process still purchasable if you're not a Patreon? I don't see my employer signing off on a Patreon membership.

raymondtrace
11-21-2018, 09:21 AM
...I don't see my employer signing off on a Patreon membership.

I'm revealing old age here...what's the difference between Patreon and a PayPal recurring payment subscription?

There are web sites that grant access to protected areas based on a PayPal subscription status. I believe there are ready-made modules/extensions for CMS like WordPress & Drupal that grant a user a privileged role if they have a current PayPal subscription. It is all automated.

Patreon appears to shave off 10% of the transaction. PayPal takes 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.

Lightwolf
11-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Are the plugins you build as part of the Patreon process still purchasable if you're not a Patreon? I don't see my employer signing off on a Patreon membership.

Not at the moment. If that really is an issue though I'm sure we can work something out.

Edit: I've sent you a PM. We're flexible. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I'm revealing old age here...what's the difference between Patreon and a PayPal recurring payment subscription?
Everything around it, the site, the interaction, etc. Plus, you can quit and re-join at any time.

Also, we're not fans of PayPal for various reasons. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

omichon
11-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Are the plugins you build as part of the Patreon process still purchasable if you're not a Patreon?

I had the same interrogation since I have no idea how/if I can justify this kind of expense from an accounting point of view :confused:

Lightwolf
11-21-2018, 11:15 AM
I had the same interrogation since I have no idea how/if I can justify this kind of expense from an accounting point of view :confused:

While Patreon doesn't send out bills, you do get a receipt including all taxes.

We're currently thinking about other methods though, likely as a pre-payment for x months or a way to just get the current version.

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
11-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Not much, employers rarely are willing to set up corporate versions of either type of account... and that's the issue.

raymondtrace
11-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Everything around it, the site, the interaction, etc. Plus, you can quit and re-join at any time...

Those are features of most any payment system integration with CMS. I only mentioned PayPal as it's used by many LW plugin developers. John is correct in pointing out the reluctance of businesses to allow payments (or even unfiltered web access) to PayPal and Patreon.

You've got quite a few options for your Joomla site. https://extensions.joomla.org/category/e-commerce/membership-a-subscriptions/ The first result offers 40+ payment gateway options.

Lightwolf
11-21-2018, 03:38 PM
You've got quite a few options for your Joomla site. https://extensions.joomla.org/category/e-commerce/membership-a-subscriptions/ The first result offers 40+ payment gateway options.
The payment isn't the problem, we're using share-it and it offers a ton of options all across the globe - I'd recommend it to anybody. That's not why we picked Patreon. We chose it because it seems to be the right platform for what we had in mind with the db&w tools - and that goes beyond just getting paid.

Cheers,
Mike

omichon
11-22-2018, 12:50 AM
While Patreon doesn't send out bills, you do get a receipt including all taxes.

We're currently thinking about other methods though, likely as a pre-payment for x months or a way to just get the current version.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for considering it, Mike.
Billing is not the main issue here. Well, a pre-payment could simplify the accounting writing a bit, but the biggest problem being that accountants are not that open minded, and each expense must correspond to a product or a clear service required by the business.
Even donations for essential plugins must be from my pocket and can't be part of my accounting. This archaic economic model is still the rule here 8~

Lightwolf
11-22-2018, 04:21 AM
Thanks for considering it, Mike.
Billing is not the main issue here. Well, a pre-payment could simplify the accounting writing a bit, but the biggest problem being that accountants are not that open minded, and each expense must correspond to a product or a clear service required by the business.
Even donations for essential plugins must be from my pocket and can't be part of my accounting. This archaic economic model is still the rule here 8~

It's not a donation, it's purchasing software including maintenance for x months - at least as far as accounting is concerned. We're thinking of making that an alternative model.

Cheers,
Mike

omichon
11-22-2018, 04:44 AM
It's not a donation, it's purchasing software including maintenance for x months - at least as far as accounting is concerned. We're thinking of making that an alternative model.

Cheers,
Mike
Yes, I understand it's not a donation. I just tried to give an example of another alternative model but not recognized from accounting point of view.
I will ask my accounting about this but as far as I understand, you don't know what software you purchase at the time you become a patreon. That could be a problem, but I hope I am wrong.

Lightwolf
11-22-2018, 06:04 AM
I will ask my accounting about this but as far as I understand, you don't know what software you purchase at the time you become a patreon. That could be a problem, but I hope I am wrong.
Well, you do know what you get at the time of purchase, but you don't know what will be added during the "maintenance". Which isn't much different from any of the other maintenance models.

Of course, the Patreon project is much more - but this is how you can break it down.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
11-22-2018, 08:25 AM
We've just updated our FAQ on Patreon:

I'd like to use the db&w Tools at my company, but we can't get accounting to support the Patreon project.

You can order company access to the current build and the next six months of development via our online shop (https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/product.html?productid=300873438&backlink=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.patreon.com%2Fdbw&cookies=1&pc=jddsw). It's similar to the Fight for the Right to Party! tier but doesn't include access to patron only posts here on Patreon.

It's essentially a subscription for 6 months which expires automatically.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
12-03-2018, 05:27 AM

We have just sent out the Plugin of the Month for November 2018, the Triplanar Mapper and Mixer, to our finest patrons.
Again, we'd like to thank you for your support.

If you would like to join them in supporting the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/join/dbw?

Snosrap
12-03-2018, 07:17 AM

We have just sent out the Plugin of the Month for November 2018, the Triplanar Mapper and Mixer, to our finest patrons.
Again, we'd like to thank you for your support.

If you would like to join them in supporting the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/join/dbw?

So what exactly does this do? And does it work with 2015?

Lightwolf
12-03-2018, 07:33 AM
So what exactly does this do? And does it work with 2015?

Triplanar mapping is essentially like cubic mapping - except that the "corners" are blended.

And no, 2018 only. We've move our entire code base to 2018 at the beginning of the year, especially due to changes in the SDK, most prominently the nodes SDK.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
12-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Our patrons have voted for the plugin of the month for December 2018, it will be the MultiImage Sampler:

It allows for texturing using a single projection but using multiple images which can be selected by an index. The index, in turn, can be driven externally; for example by an instance ID.

lardbros
12-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Wow... Close between no vote and multiimage sampler! :)
If no vote was the winner, would we have got nothing? ;)

Lightwolf
12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Wow... Close between no vote and multiimage sampler! :)
If no vote was the winner, would we have got nothing? ;)

The patrons that didn't participate would have gotten a scolding for their lack of voting skills.

This time... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

adk
12-10-2018, 03:07 PM
The patrons that didn't participate would have gotten a scolding for their lack of voting skills.

This time... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Really enjoying this Patreon approach Mike !
The banter alone is worth the price of admission :D

Lightwolf
12-10-2018, 03:59 PM
Really enjoying this Patreon approach Mike !
The banter alone is worth the price of admission :D

Hehe, thanks. I hope there is something for everybody, the tools, participating in the development and fleshing out new ideas, the q&a and even the banter. :)

But if we didn't think it would be some fun along the way, it wouldn't be on Patreon.

Cheers,
Mike

cg_mike
12-11-2018, 12:41 AM
I somehow missed the vote for this one, but see the results and have no complaints. :) For the next round, should I be watching for an email at voting time or just logging into Patreon more regularly?

Lightwolf
12-11-2018, 01:14 AM
I somehow missed the vote for this one, but see the results and have no complaints. :) For the next round, should I be watching for an email at voting time or just logging into Patreon more regularly?

Patrons get notified by Patreon (I think it's "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" that sends out the mails) of any post that we create or publish. You might want to filter those mails.

I also make sure to post important links on our Discord server.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
12-17-2018, 06:11 AM
Our patrons just receive the first beta of our plugin of the month for December.

This is a Multi-Image sampler node:

Please support us on https://www.patreon.com/dbw, not only will you get access to this plugin but also to the Triplanar Texturing node developed last month.

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Patrons get notified by Patreon (I think it's "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" that sends out the mails) of any post that we create or publish. You might want to filter those mails.

Can you please put "[POLL]" or "[VOTE]" or such into the subject line of the post indicating where to vote? The subject didn't really make it clear that it needed a timely reply. If we knew we could count on such a tag always being present in the subject for cases where voting was needed, it's much easier for users to set up a filter that prioritizes/categorizes it appropriately.

Lightwolf
12-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Can you please put "[POLL]" or "[VOTE]" or such into the subject line of the post indicating where to vote? The subject didn't really make it clear that it needed a timely reply. If we knew we could count on such a tag always being present in the subject for cases where voting was needed, it's much easier for users to set up a filter that prioritizes/categorizes it appropriately.

Sure, I actually don't know how much beyond the subject gets send out.

Cheers,
Mike

TerryLewis
12-27-2018, 01:02 AM
LightWave 3D geometry homework (http://yourhomeworkhelp.org/do-my-geometry-homework/)

We want take the db&w Tools to the next level and we want you to be a part of it. Support us on Patreon.

db&w Tools are a collection of plugins for LightWave 3D. Previously these were available as a free download.

What We Intend to Do
With your support we want to make db&w Tools even better:

Add a new plugin to the db&w Tools every month. We will allow you to choose between different ideas that we propose.
You will be a part of development - we'll keep you posted as we progress.
will host a Q&A stream per month as well as one live development stream per month.
If we meet our stretch goal, we can up the ante and add two plugins per month - or work on a single, larger one.
The builds you get will be personalised (your name in the about section) but not dongle locked.
You will get a discount of 1% on our regular products per month that you're pledged - up to 12%.
Join us on our Discord server, in a section exclusive to patrons.

You can be a patron for as little as US$3 per month.

Join us Now! (https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=14370980)

We look forward to developing for you, with you.

More information is available on our website (https://www.db-w.com/23-frontpage/279-db-w-tools-on-patreon) and our Patreon page (https://www.patreon.com/dbw).

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that Patreon is going to create new plugins. And I'm going to join the community too. Are you planning to work on the MultiMaths node?

Best,
Terry

Lightwolf
12-27-2018, 02:50 AM
Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that Patreon is going to create new plugins. And I'm going to join the community too. Are you planning to work on the MultiMaths node?

Best,
Terry

Hello Terry,
we'd love to welcome you. Well, it depends on what the community votes for. Every month there's a selection of three plugins to implement, the one with the most votes makes it.

Cheers,
Mike - who still wonders how that spam made it into the quote...

Lightwolf
12-31-2018, 06:53 AM
A Happy New Year to all of you.

For those of you that are curious, we've just posted a round up of our first two months of having the db&w Tools on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/posts/happy-new-year-23653594

Cheers,
Mike

Revanto
12-31-2018, 05:51 PM
Oh, you know what would be a really cool tool that we could use (and could have used AGES ago...)?

A plugin which allows us to use a control object like a null and/or sliders to control image sequences.

You'd think that someone would have thought of that ages ago but, nooo......

Adobe After Effects had this option ages ago using 'Time Remapping'.

So, I wouldn't mind a free or at least cheap plugin that does that.

If you'd ever consider doing something like that, that is.

Revanto :p

Lightwolf
12-31-2018, 06:04 PM
Oh, you know what would be a really cool tool that we could use (and could have used AGES ago...)?

A plugin which allows us to use a control object like a null and/or sliders to control image sequences.

You'd think that someone would have thought of that ages ago but, nooo......

Adobe After Effects had this option ages ago using 'Time Remapping'.

So, I wouldn't mind a free or at least cheap plugin that does that.

If you'd ever consider doing something like that, that is.

Revanto :p

Well, we have one like that for ages... framed https://framed.db-w.com
It does exactly that plus more.

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
01-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Ayup, as a frameD customer pretty nearly since introduction, I highly recommend it for any LW image sequence work!

(Mike, any hint as to when I might see a fixed Mac version?)

Revanto
01-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Cheers,
Mike

That actually looks a lot like Magpie and that isn't really for what I was going for. It wouldn't be for lipsyncing but rather changing the image in the sequence using just a null or slider without having to open up a window or interface.

I want to make a psuedo character creation set up using flat polys and masks but I don't really need to animate anything. It would only be for a single frame render.

So, it is also pretty expensive for me just for a simple task unfortunately.

Rev. :p

Lightwolf
01-02-2019, 03:01 AM
That actually looks a lot like Magpie and that isn't really for what I was going for. It wouldn't be for lipsyncing but rather changing the image in the sequence using just a null or slider without having to open up a window or interface.
If you are just looking at the image sequence editor, it may actually look like Magpie. However, the whole image sequence loading engine is what makes it happen.
And since you can't "just" change an image sequence to a different frame within LW, the loader is also the only way to do that.

http://wiki.db-w.com/framed2018/master_plugin#frame_offset_frames

I want to make a psuedo character creation set up using flat polys and masks but I don't really need to animate anything. It would only be for a single frame render.

So, it is also pretty expensive for me just for a simple task unfortunately.

Yeah, for single frame renders it's overkill.

Having said that, even without the editor, it wouldn't be "cheap" since a lot of the development effort went into the image sequence loader, which (from what I know) is fairly unique to any 3D application with the support for proxies and a RAM cache.

Cheers,
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

(Mike, any hint as to when I might see a fixed Mac version?)
Maybe when you reply to my questions regarding the latest versions I've sent you. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-07-2019, 03:20 AM
It's always nice to see how our patrons use the tools we develop with them. Mark Warner has posted a great video showing two ways to use the Multi-Image Sampler that we released as a final version a couple of days ago to our patrons:

https://youtu.be/_CuyO4p__0Q

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
01-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Maybe when you reply to my questions regarding the latest versions I've sent you. ;)

Answered, no longer seeing the issue! Sorry, I must have missed your reply. Thanks!

Lightwolf
01-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Answered, no longer seeing the issue! Sorry, I must have missed your reply. Thanks!

No worries. Yay... :D

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-24-2019, 04:06 AM
Our patrons received the first preview build of our Plugin of the Month for January 2019 - a complete set of logic nodes to switch connections depending on various conditions (such as the type of incoming ray, as shown in this example).
https://wiki.db-w.com/tools/start#logic

The db&w Tools are already fully compatible with LightWave 3D 2019 as well.

Become a patron (https://www.patreon.com/dbw) to support as and be a part of the development of the db&w Tools.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
02-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Our patrons have voted again - and just like last time, the winner is: No Vote.

Since this is a crooked system, we'll be working on the Random Image Mapper then. ;)

If you want to support us as well and shape the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

adk
02-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Our patrons have voted again - and just like last time, the winner is: No Vote.

Since this is a crooked system, we'll be working on the Random Image Mapper then. ;)

If you want to support us as well and shape the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

LOL ... Thanks to you and your data insights Mike we now know how US Politics really work :D
Next poll I'd like to know who is disenfranchising our LW voters and how big a role FB and Russia are playing in all this ? :D

Lightwolf
02-13-2019, 02:54 AM
Next poll I'd like to know who is disenfranchising our LW voters and how big a role FB and Russia are playing in all this ? :D
I'm sure it's actually Foundristan as well as the Kingdom of AD ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
03-02-2019, 09:27 AM
Our patrons have received their final build of the Random Image Mapper - our Plugin of the Month for February 2019 - already.

And it didn't take long until Alf Edvin Torgersen, one of our patrons, produced this stunning render.

Now that's what we like to see.

Thank you very much to Alf for allowing us to publish it and thank you very much to all patrons for your support.

If you like to support us as well, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
03-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Our patrons have received their final build of the Random Image Mapper - our Plugin of the Month for February 2019 - already.

And it didn't take long until Alf Edvin Torgersen, one of our patrons, produced this stunning render.

Now that's what we like to see.

Thank you very much to Alf for allowing us to publish it and thank you very much to all patrons for your support.

If you like to support us as well, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Awesome!!!!! Nice render by Alf Edvin Torgersen btw!

Lightwolf
03-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Our patrons have voted again - probably because we make the mistake of asking them ;).

The db&w Tools Plugin of the Month will be a UV Distort tool for Modeler.

If you'd like to see how it develops and get your hands on it, become a patron at https://www.patreon.com/dbw as well.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
03-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Hi Mike. Loving these plugins :D

I think I've found a little bug with the Random Image Mapper - if scale is set to 0% then it looks like 100%. 0.001% will make it really small (as you'd expect) so assuming it's a bug.

Many thanks :D

Lightwolf
03-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Hi Mike. Loving these plugins :D

Thank you. :)

I think I've found a little bug with the Random Image Mapper - if scale is set to 0% then it looks like 100%. 0.001% will make it really small (as you'd expect) so assuming it's a bug.

I'll take a look and see if I can fix it for the next release. It may just be by design though.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
03-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Cheers Mike. Just out of interest, is it possible to give each image an ID so we could scale each by that rather than spot, or is that a daft idea?!

Lightwolf
03-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Cheers Mike. Just out of interest, is it possible to give each image an ID so we could scale each by that rather than spot, or is that a daft idea?!

The problem is two-fold: For one, given that there's no real limit for the number of images, you'd need an input each.
Even worse, then somebody comes along and requests the same for, say, the rotation. ;)

However, if you want certain relative sizes, you can look the Pixel Size parameter. That would require changing the size of the used images for specific results though.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
03-18-2019, 02:59 AM
Cheers Mike, understood :D

Lightwolf
04-02-2019, 06:54 AM

We have just sent out the latest db&w Tools to our patrons. This build includes the final release of the UV Distort tool - our first Modeler tool ever.

https://wiki.db-w.com/tools/uv_distort

Support us on Patreon to get this release as well as help shape the future of the db&w Tools: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
04-17-2019, 03:07 AM
Our patrons have voted for the plugin to be developed this month, and it's a Multi-Switcher.

A plugin that allows you to switch between multiple vectors (or colours), scalars and materials depending on an index.
We're currently polishing the first version and will be demonstrating it in a live stream this Friday.

If you'd like to get your hands on the most recent version of the db&w Tools and help us develop future versions, support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
04-23-2019, 07:39 AM
SCNR ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Tim Parsons
04-23-2019, 07:44 AM
SCNR ;)

Cheers,
Mike

:confused:

Lightwolf
04-23-2019, 07:59 AM
:confused:

:D Nothing to be confused about, I was just toying with the logo (as it has been a tangram from the start) to see what I could come up with for our "6 months on Patreon" celebration.

Cheers,
Mike

Tim Parsons
04-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Oh- okay. :)

Lightwolf
05-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Our patrons got the final build of the Plugin-of-the-Month for April 2019 on Wednesday.

The Multi-Switcher nodes allow for passing through multiple inputs depending on an index value. Often, a gradient is used for the same effect - the Multi-Switcher nodes make it a lot easier and are faster.
https://wiki.db-w.com/tools/multiswitcher

Since this is the 6th month on Patreon for us (YAY! to half a year :) ) we've also added a small bonus plugin: https://wiki.db-w.com/tools/get_auto_size

If you'd also like to get your hands on the current db&w Tools and support as well as participate in the development of future tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
05-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Nice to see that you are still going strong, DB&W! Love the things you have been doing so far! :)

raw-m
05-04-2019, 12:39 AM
Hi Mike. Love the multiswitcher stuff - anything stopping me faffing around in a gradient node is a winner for me!

Your get_auto_size node, is that essentially a slightly different flavour of Part Mesh but the whole object rather than the parts of an object?

Lightwolf
05-05-2019, 06:45 AM
Hi Mike. Love the multiswitcher stuff - anything stopping me faffing around in a gradient node is a winner for me!
Less faffing -> more fun. :)

Your get_auto_size node, is that essentially a slightly different flavour of Part Mesh but the whole object rather than the parts of an object?
It essentially exposes what any of the native texturing nodes compute when you click on the Automatic Size button to fit a texture. So, I suppose it's what you describe.

Nice to see that you are still going strong, DB&W! Love the things you have been doing so far! :)

Thank you. :) It is a bit of a challenge - but a good one. And we just love the feedback and interactions we get.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
05-10-2019, 04:15 AM
Hi Mike

I've noticed a little bug with the Vector Multi-Switcher (so nice and "clean" to use!). Not sure if it's you or NT, however.....

If I copy the Vector Multi-Switcher with all it's connected inputs and paste into another Node Editor, all the "new" input connections are lost, so I need to re-connect. Otherwise, great!!

Lightwolf
05-10-2019, 04:39 AM
Hi Mike

I've noticed a little bug with the Vector Multi-Switcher (so nice and "clean" to use!). Not sure if it's you or NT, however.....

If I copy the Vector Multi-Switcher with all it's connected inputs and paste into another Node Editor, all the "new" input connections are lost, so I need to re-connect. Otherwise, great!!

Thanks for that. I'll fix it for the next release - which is probably the preview release for this month's plugin. Whatever that may be. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
05-10-2019, 04:40 AM
Great :D

lardbros
05-10-2019, 04:44 AM
Hi Mike

I've noticed this in other areas, like VDB too. I did report it, but not sure who's at fault... guess we'll find out from Mike. :)
I always think this kind of thing should be handled automatically, but maybe it isn't.

Lightwolf
05-10-2019, 05:21 AM
Great :D

Fixed, it'll be in the next release.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-10-2019, 05:23 AM
I've noticed this in other areas, like VDB too. I did report it, but not sure who's at fault... guess we'll find out from Mike. :)
I always think this kind of thing should be handled automatically, but maybe it isn't.

No, it isn't. In the case of a copy, a function in the node code is called where it can copy all relevant data. That also includes creating inputs and outputs that were created dynamically due to user actions (such as the inputs in the switcher node). I just forgot to do that for the new switchers.

Cheers,
Mike

lardbros
05-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Ah, I see...

Thanks for fixing Mike! :)

Lightwolf
05-13-2019, 05:19 AM
While we were busy fixing an issues in exrTrader and preparing the next qckPck release, our patrons have voted for the Plugin of the Month for May 2019.

We will be releasing the Multi-Maths node to them this month.

Become a patron as well if you'd like to support us and get a personalised copy of the db&w Tools: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-27-2019, 04:01 AM
We've been on Patreon for six months now, developing for and with our patrons.

Here is what happened in that time.

https://youtu.be/xI_apEbR1y0

There's certainly more to come. Become a patron to support us and get your personal copy of the db&w Tools: https://www.patreon.com/dbw

Cheers,
Mike

JohnMarchant
05-27-2019, 05:55 AM
Well done Mike and Dagmar, heres to another 6 months and beyond.

Lightwolf
05-27-2019, 07:31 AM
Well done Mike and Dagmar, heres to another 6 months and beyond.

At least..., thank you. :)

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
05-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Nice summary there! Here is for 6 more months!!!

Lightwolf
05-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Nice summary there! Here is for 6 more months!!!

Thank you. :) We've also finally hit 50 patrons today...

Cheers,
Mike

JohnMarchant
05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Wow the Big 50.

adk
05-27-2019, 11:06 PM
Wow the Big 50.

I reckon a few of us "old timers" are pushing close to that growth ring count so kudos db&w for all the work and effort over those months and all the folks that continue to throw in their support towards these fabulous tools.

Lightwolf
05-28-2019, 02:41 AM
I reckon a few of us "old timers" are pushing close to that growth ring count...

Don't remind me... :D

Thank you though. :)

Cheers,
Mike

Areyos Alektor
06-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Congratulations ! The next 6 months are announcing very "spline " :D

Lightwolf
06-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Congratulations ! The next 6 months are announcing very "spline " :D

Thank you. Well, it depends on what our patrons vote for. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
06-10-2019, 04:49 AM
It's that time of the month again and our patrons have voted.
This time we'll be working on the first part of a multi-stage project dubbed "S-Tk" - the Spline Toolkit.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/27523157

Cheers,
Mike

JohnMarchant
06-10-2019, 06:02 AM
I still cant believe that No Vote gets the highest again. We really need to get more engagement.

Lightwolf
06-10-2019, 06:09 AM
I still cant believe that No Vote gets the highest again. We really need to get more engagement.

I suspect quite a few patrons are happy either way. Or, hopefully, too busy. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Otterman
06-10-2019, 06:15 AM
Is this like the Spline Deformer node in the DP Kit? I use this for flexible hoses to great effect. What's the benefit of the Spline Toolkit Mike?

Lightwolf
06-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Is this like the Spline Deformer node in the DP Kit? I use this for flexible hoses to great effect. What's the benefit of the Spline Toolkit Mike?

Eventually, yes.

It is a multi-stage project where spline deformation will be a future stage.

The main difference to all current approaches will be that a spline will be a single item - not a selection of null. With a dedicated tool to edit them. There may be a conversion to a spline based on nulls and vice versa further down the line though.
I also want to support multiple spline types. Beziers aren't the best for animation for example (because you need to animated the handles as well to retain a shape).

This first stage will be the foundation - spline creation, editing and a spline motion plugin that goes with it.

Also, given that I'm trying to create a unified code base, future options will propagate through the system. I.e. if patrons vote for renderable splines first, and then for other spline types - the renderable splines will support the new types as well.

That's why it's more of a toolkit as opposed to a single plugin. Check the link I posted on Patreon for some future ideas of where this could go.

Cheers,
Mike

Otterman
06-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Sounds great Mike, Im all for simplifying things. Especially when working with 50 flexible hoses. All done using DP kit!

Lightwolf
06-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Sounds great Mike, Im all for simplifying things. Especially when working with 50 flexible hoses. All done using DP kit!

I've done my fair share of them as well.
Nothing as crazy as your rig though.

The dpKit defomer is quite nice, no doubt about it. I've also always quite liked Hoser.

Cheers,
Mike

ernpchan
06-10-2019, 09:24 AM
There may be a conversion
I also want to support multiple spline types. Beziers aren't the best for animation for example (because you need to animated the handles as well to retain a shape).

Perhaps look at how the 2D animation program Moho implements splines. In Moho the tangents of the curve try to be retained as you move the cv around.

Lightwolf
06-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Perhaps look at how the 2D animation program Moho implements splines. In Moho the tangents of the curve try to be retained as you move the cv around.

If I grok the maths it will be an advanced editing function - which is a module all by itself. Just like tagging CVs to be smooth or sharp. One step after the other. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

gar26lw
06-11-2019, 04:51 AM
I've done my fair share of them as well.
Nothing as crazy as your rig though.

The dpKit defomer is quite nice, no doubt about it. I've also always quite liked Hoser.

Cheers,
Mike

yeah hoser was good