PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster Mini Slowly stopped responding with NewTek Connect Spark

mitchellcrazyey
10-29-2018, 10:24 AM
We were live streaming a football game to YouTube using the Tricaster Mini AE, 2 hard wired cameras, and one on field, running wireless from the Spark (HDMI edition). We were experiencing a lot of issues with the Spark dropping out and the tricaster not responding to being picked back up on the network. It wouldn't be that bad if it picked back up once it was reconnected to the network, but once it dropped out, we had to change the input and change it back to the Spark, and only then would it be temporarily back. We did this for a bit, and of course, it was iffy, but it worked somewhat. Then we started having an issue, which I can quote from the director; "It's like it starts to freeze up right when I switch to you." It was rather odd how it seemed to only happen when the Tricaster switched to it. Still, we stay on course. Nearing the middle of the game, the Spark camera just stopped working entirely (as in, we couldn't get video to the Tricaster) and the inputs locked up. We have no idea what happened, but the spark feed froze and nothing worked for inputs. We could still switch, but couldn't manage any inputs. Still, we trudge on. Nearing the end of the game, switching freezes. We are still livestreaming at this point, but couldn't switch the game. We think it may have resulted from the Tricaster overheating, but we aren't too sure as of yet. I hope someone can help us out. Thanks.

JPulera
10-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Is the TriCaster itself connected to wired internet, or trying to use WiFi? TriCaster should be hard-wired into network. And what kind of WiFi hardware is in place for the Spark to communicate with?

"Regular" WiFi hardware is not going to be reliable for transmitting HD video from the football field. You'll want some specialized WiFi antennas and such to do a decent job.

Please see this thread

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156908-Connect-Spark-Deployment-over-WiFi-Networks-Ubiquiti-Components

Thanks

Jeff

kanep
10-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Probably the reason that you have problem when you switch to the Spark source is that when you do that, the Spark will send out full resolution video, where as when you have the Spark on preview or just on the multiview it is only sending a proxy low-res image (and therefore only needs a faction of the bandwidth).

As Jeff mentions above, I'm sure the problem has to do with the WiFi in the area. Are you using directional antennas to pickup the signal? A standard WiFi base station isn't going to cut it when you have hundreds of people at the games, most that will have a WiFi
'noise maker' in their pocket (aka a smartphone).

mitchellcrazyey
10-30-2018, 01:25 PM
We are less worried about the internet connectivity of the Tricaster and more about the freezing of the interface, but to answer your questions:
1. We are using an access point capable of speeds of up to 800mb up and down.
2. The Tricaster was hardwired into the network.
3. It is an omni-directional antenna. I will admit that I didn't scan the wifi networks for the clearest channel (something we will do next time) but the access point was down past the people, which i can guess helps things a little bit.

webslave
10-30-2018, 06:32 PM
1. We are using an access point capable of speeds of up to 800mb up and down.
They all say they are capable of some crazy bandwidth figure, but you will never see it. What AP are you running?

mitchellcrazyey
10-31-2018, 07:32 AM
They all say they are capable of some crazy bandwidth figure, but you will never see it. What AP are you running?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296855-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_m_us_unifi_ac_mesh.html