PDA

View Full Version : Can Metamorphic do the same thing as 3rd Powers' Paint Weights?

tburbage
10-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Just curious to know whether inclusion of Metamorphic into LW.next will provide that kind of weight map manipulation...

Greenlaw
10-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Those two are completely different plugins: Metamorphic is a brush sculpting tool that works in Layout, and 3rd Powers Paint Weights is a weight painting tool that works in Layout.

For comparison, Metamorphic is actually kinda like 3rd Powers 3D Brush, which is also a brush sculpting tool but works in Modeler, not Layout. So, they're pretty different too.

I don't know if Metamorphic will be adapted to include weight painting features in a future LightWave. For now, Paint Weights is the only plugin I know of that does what it does for LightWave 2018 (and earlier.)

tburbage
10-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Don. Not having either, I just figured, if it can manipulate vertex data like that, why not weight, morph, or color maps? But again, I don't have it...

erikals
10-26-2018, 07:44 PM
hi, it can create color maps, perhaps weights too >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Rbvz2QPcI

TheLexx
10-26-2018, 08:15 PM
FWIW the LW Users Group sessions re Metamorphic are online:-

LW Users Group July Metamorphic Part 1 of 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RvDgflPvM)
LW Users Group July Metamorphic Part 2 of 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Di8FRCa5I)

:)

CaptainMarlowe
10-26-2018, 10:36 PM
You can paint weights in Metamorphic, yes, but it is very slow and certainly not as efficient as the dedicated tool from 3rd powers (I have metamorphic, but not 3rd powers tool). There is definitely room for improvement in that area if Metamorphic is included in the next LW iteration.

OFF
10-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Paint Weight is absolutely out of competition in compare Metamorphic. Weight in Metamorphic it's just little bonus, but PW from 3rd Powers it' s a must have tool especial for character animation. I use both plugins very often and good know potencial of each. Metamorphic mainly animated deform (corrective morphs etc) plugin and it very good tool in this area.

jwiede
10-27-2018, 01:41 PM
I consider PaintWeights by 3rdPowers an "absolute must-buy" for Layout.

The idea of comparing/contrasting the two is a bit silly, as they only share this one tiny bit of overlapping functionality, and like it or not, even then Metamorphic isn't really a "suitable alternative" for PaintWeights weight map creation/management functionality. In a _pinch_ you can get Metamorphic to do something similar to PaintWeights w.r.t. map painting, but PaintWeights does a LOT more in that regard and offers better tools and more efficient/capable workflows for doing so.

Marander
10-27-2018, 05:39 PM
I consider PaintWeights by 3rdPowers an "absolute must-buy" for Layout.

The idea of comparing/contrasting the two is a bit silly, as they only share this one tiny bit of overlapping functionality, and like it or not, even then Metamorphic isn't really a "suitable alternative" for PaintWeights weight map creation/management functionality. In a _pinch_ you can get Metamorphic to do something similar to PaintWeights w.r.t. map painting, but PaintWeights does a LOT more in that regard and offers better tools and more efficient/capable workflows for doing so.

The Metamophic Weight Painting is not usable for me. It's nice that the developer implemented it but it's way too slow and the visiblilty is not great. Animated deformation works fine in Metamorphic.

I have most 3rd Powers plugins but not PaintWeights.

3rd Powers plugins work really well but I find it quite costly, $129 for a basic 3d functionality. That actually applies to all 3rd powers plugins (MetaMesh, Boolean, HeatShrink+, LWBrush, Cage / Latice Deformer etc.), they're all standard 3d features but spread into to separate applications.

On the other hand, LightWave is more affordable than other software, so in a way it justifies requiring plugins for some functionality. LWCAD, 3rd Powers and all OD Plugins are a must have for LW in my opinion.

In other 3d software I use, in its base functionality weight painting can be done in various ways, brushes, animated with effectors / falloffs, automatically painting weights maps by touching objects or particles, noises, with animated procedural growth effects. Great for particle spawning, deformation or displacement animation (object collision, foot prints, rain drops, organic surfaces, tearing, mesh deformers, special effects etc.). And it does one-click character auto weighting which is sufficient in some cases.

Can WeightPaints do the similar things what other packages can do out of the box or is it simply a brush to manually apply weights in Layout? How is its speed and usability? UI representation?

If the 3rd Powers plugin can do some things like that I'm glad to spend that amount.

Edit - just watched the introduction video: 3rd Powers Weight Paints looks ok. Still quite expensive for what it offers in my opinion, so are there some goodies not shown in the video?

OFF
10-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Auto binding weights. From 2.40:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L4N5sgBbvUw&t=9s

Ryan Roye
10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
The 3rd powers weight paint tool is a complete weight mapping solution. It is extremely well designed, so much so that my latest rigging content actually requires it.

CaptainMarlowe
10-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Yep. The only use I have found to weight painting in Metamorphic is to edit weight based distribution of instances without going back and forth in Modeler. But as I said, very slow.

pbaroque20
10-28-2018, 12:48 PM
I use 3rd Powers weight paints tool for controlling rotations of instances and it's very helpful. For some reason 2018.0.3 was the last version where you can have 3rd Powers Weight Painting tool active AND have real-time feedback of instances. Only workaround is to force redraw by moving to next frame in the timeline but it's tedious. I reported it since 2018.0.4 but apparently hasn't been fixed.