PDA

View Full Version : Your Black Friday 2018 Wish List....

Norka
10-24-2018, 08:54 AM
So what deals do you think will be in store for us this year come Black Friday (and through holidays)?

I personally hope that the LW 2018 Upgrade will be 50% off. I haven't upgraded from 2015.3 because Octane handles many of the LW 2018 updates, but would certainly like a couple of goodies in LW 2018. I just can't justify it at $495. Also, it would rock if LWCAD was on sale. I'd love to get a discount on that as well.

Share your wish list!

Nicolas Jordan
10-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Lightwave 2018 upgrade was offered at a discounted price of $295 for a limited time when it was released. I'm not sure if you will see that price again though. LWCAD also had a group buy in to get a discount through Liberty 3D back in July but it's over now. LWCAD for $349 US is still a great price for what you get in my opinion but if your patient sometimes there are LWCAD promos.

You can usually find Black Friday discounts from companies that sell 3D assets.

calilifestyle
10-24-2018, 10:16 AM
RealFlow for sure. I missed out on the 50% discount for FIFA.

raymondtrace
10-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Lightwave 2018 upgrade was offered at a discounted price of $295 for a limited time when it was released. I'm not sure if you will see that price again though. ...

The initial offering is always the best value, if we're willing to trust fresh software (there was a decent window to run it for 30 days and purchase within 90). We get the software at the cheapest price and have the longest access to it. If this discount is offered again, it may only be to grab a few more sales before the next release is offered. I'm hoping Newtek moves to a quasi-subscription model by offering a yearly release. That would help revenue and development.

erikals
10-25-2018, 01:04 PM
RealFlow for sure. I missed out on the 50% discount for FIFA.
wouldn't you rather go Houdini Indie now that we got a Houdini Fluids importer ?
https://i.imgur.com/pygI7Cu.gif

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155473-OD-2018-Tool-Set-Released&p=1557087&viewfull=1#post1557087

calilifestyle
10-25-2018, 04:31 PM
wouldn't you rather go Houdini Indie now that we got a Houdini Fluids importer ?
https://i.imgur.com/pygI7Cu.gif

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155473-OD-2018-Tool-Set-Released&p=1557087&viewfull=1#post1557087

I would say yes. But i have worked a lot more with Realflow then Houdini. Can we no longer bring in Realflow into lightwave?

erikals
10-25-2018, 04:36 PM
not sure, maybe...
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152068-RealFlow-discontinues-LW-plugin

calilifestyle
10-26-2018, 12:35 AM
Oh yeah that's right. thanks i guess i can look into to

Oldcode
10-26-2018, 06:26 AM
I've been using the latest version of the Real Flow plugin in LW 2018 and so far it seems to work.

Norka
10-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Updating Poser would be nice, for those times when I need some 3d peeps in my renders... I have v8, and I imagine it has come a long way since...

Adobe CC.. would also be nice to get a CC deal at a better rate than the normal 20% they offer on Black Friday...

Black Ink would be kinda cool to have as well... Anyone have that?.. You likey?

Oldcode
10-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Updating Poser would be nice, for those times when I need some 3d peeps in my renders... I have v8, and I imagine it has come a long way since...

Quite a long way. If you get one of the Pro versions of Poser, it comes with Poser Fusion for Lightwave, Maya, 3DSMax, C4D, and others. It allows you to import Poser scenes directly into Lightwave. Geometry, textures, and animation data. I've done a lot with it and its great if you can't rig your own characters in Lightwave.

Good Luck

sadkkf
10-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Quite a long way. If you get one of the Pro versions of Poser, it comes with Poser Fusion for Lightwave, Maya, 3DSMax, C4D, and others. It allows you to import Poser scenes directly into Lightwave. Geometry, textures, and animation data. I've done a lot with it and its great if you can't rig your own characters in Lightwave.

Good Luck

I recall Smith Micro offering deals on Cyber Monday instead of Black Friday.

jaf
10-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Not sure Poser Fusion works with LW2018 though. https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2807/poserfusion-and-lightwave-2018

calilifestyle
10-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Not sure Poser Fusion works with LW2018 though. https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2807/poserfusion-and-lightwave-2018
The latest version of poser pro add-on does work with LW2018

JamesCurtis
10-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Is that the file named: PzrForLW_2016?

Or is there a newer version now. I haven't worked with Poser much myself in the last few years. I do have Poser Pro 11 [2014]

RPSchmidt
11-02-2018, 06:28 AM
3d Coat
Octane Render
Tree Designer

Pretty much in that order, but definitely not all for Black Friday. Probably just get 3d Coat and Tree Designer, unless both 3d Coat and Octane have incredible deals of some kind.

gdkeast
11-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Yes, I agree. 3D Coat and Octane. Also FD Turbulence. Missed the buy-in on that one.

tburbage
11-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I've been toying with buying a foliage app like SpeedTree for a while. A good BF sale price could pull me in.

Then there's "environmental" apps like Vue, Terragen, terrain generators like World Creator or World Machine ...

Marvelous Designer possibly.

On the LW front, if 3rd Powers were to bundle their stuff into one attractive price, I might have to go for it.

tburbage
11-03-2018, 12:09 PM
3d Coat
Octane Render
Tree Designer

Pretty much in that order, but definitely not all for Black Friday. Probably just get 3d Coat and Tree Designer, unless both 3d Coat and Octane have incredible deals of some kind.

Keep an eye on the 3D Coat forums. As I recall, they almost always do a BF deal...

Norka
11-03-2018, 03:20 PM
In my six years using Octane, I don't believe I ever once saw any kind of seasonal sales. Just get it RPSchmidt. And put it before 3DCoat. It will change your life. Just make sure you have at least two kickass GPUs to thoroughly enjoy it. Three or more, and your dang mind will be blown.

:-/ Anyone know the reason for price discrepancies between LWCAD for LW, LWCAD for 3DSMax and LWCAD for C4D?...

Marander
11-03-2018, 05:35 PM
:-/ Anyone know the reason for price discrepancies between LWCAD for LW, LWCAD for 3DSMax and LWCAD for C4D?...

LWCAD for LW has more tools that are not required in the other applications (Splines or modeling tools like Rounder for example).

LWCAD for 3DSMax and C4D contains all the architecture tools. The LWCAD objects are parametric / non-destructive and work nicely with native tools and plugins, that takes it to a whole new level.

hrgiger
11-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Marvelous Designer possibly.

Marvelous Designer is typically 30% off for Black Friday. Can't recommend it enough. Much better than syflex or bullet.

Norka
11-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Giger! You're still around! I saw you had some stuff for sale a ways back and thought you must have left LW.. Which would be sad, because that would screw with the Ohio-LW-Users phenomenon that we have going here...

hrgiger
11-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Giger! You're still around! I saw you had some stuff for sale a ways back and thought you must have left LW.. Which would be sad, because that would screw with the Ohio-LW-Users phenomenon that we have going here...

yes, old habits die hard. Sold my LW license. Ohio user not represented here. You still have Ryan Roye though...

RPSchmidt
11-05-2018, 07:51 AM
In my six years using Octane, I don't believe I ever once saw any kind of seasonal sales. Just get it RPSchmidt. And put it before 3DCoat. It will change your life. Just make sure you have at least two kickass GPUs to thoroughly enjoy it. Three or more, and your dang mind will be blown.

That's understandable. But it will have to wait... I really need to get my texturing process streamlined. Right now I go through multiple hoops to get textures the way I want them and it takes up a considerable amount of my time.

sadkkf
11-07-2018, 07:45 AM
I've been thinking about a Cintiq, mostly for ZBrush. Does anyone have any experience with these? The 22HD Pen Display is close to my price range, but for a little more I could get the Cintiq Pro 24. Is it worth it?

Ztreem
11-07-2018, 09:34 AM
I've been thinking about a Cintiq, mostly for ZBrush. Does anyone have any experience with these? The 22HD Pen Display is close to my price range, but for a little more I could get the Cintiq Pro 24. Is it worth it?

I use a Cintiq 21ux at work and it's similar to the 22 HD but in the old 4:3 ratio and it works fine for desktop work. At home I consider to buy a cheaper pen display like Huion or something, seems as good as Cintig but cheaper. look at some reviews. I have not used or seen the new 24 pro model yet, but it looks to be thinner and lighter. We have some big ones (24-27") here at the studio with that awful big ergo stand, it's super bulky and heavy, most designers here prefer the 21ux and 22hd instead of the big ones.

Note that a normal tablet can work as good or better because you don't have your hands blocking all the menus as you do with a cintiq. I know several good artists that has gone back to normal tablets instead of using cintiq, it's a matter of taste. Look at Feng Zhu, I've heard he uses a normal tablet.

sadkkf
11-07-2018, 11:52 AM
I use a Cintiq 21ux at work and it's similar to the 22 HD but in the old 4:3 ratio and it works fine for desktop work. At home I consider to buy a cheaper pen display like Huion or something, seems as good as Cintig but cheaper. look at some reviews. I have not used or seen the new 24 pro model yet, but it looks to be thinner and lighter. We have some big ones (24-27") here at the studio with that awful big ergo stand, it's super bulky and heavy, most designers here prefer the 21ux and 22hd instead of the big ones.

Note that a normal tablet can work as good or better because you don't have your hands blocking all the menus as you do with a cintiq. I know several good artists that has gone back to normal tablets instead of using cintiq, it's a matter of taste. Look at Feng Zhu, I've heard he uses a normal tablet.

Very good tips. Thank you! I think I may prefer working with a screen instead of a tablet. I have a small tablet now and it just seems awkward to be drawing in one place, but looking in another.

Edit: I've watching some reviews on YouTube and mostly they're positive, with only minor complaints. One display seems to get consistently good reviews: XP-PEN. Significantly less expensive than the Cintiq, but very similar quality. That may be the direction.

Thanks again for suggesting the alternatives!

Bernie2Strokes
11-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Hello. I'm using a Huion GT-221 for a dual monitor setup. The tablet serves as my 2nd monitor for Modeler. I haven't tried using the pen yet with Lightwave. But I want to mention that the grid in Modeler is usually off-center when I'm modelling in the perspective window. Don't know if that's supposed to happen.

sadkkf
11-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Hello. I'm using a Huion GT-221 for a dual monitor setup. The tablet serves as my 2nd monitor for Modeler. I haven't tried using the pen yet with Lightwave. But I want to mention that the grid in Modeler is usually off-center when I'm modelling in the perspective window. Don't know if that's supposed to happen.

That's an interesting idea...using the tablet as a monitor. I've read you may need to change the display settings for a tablet vs. a monitor. Are you on Windows or Mac?

Bernie2Strokes
11-08-2018, 06:28 PM
That's an interesting idea...using the tablet as a monitor. I've read you may need to change the display settings for a tablet vs. a monitor. Are you on Windows or Mac?

I'm using Windows 10. It's a new setup and I'm still testing it as I go along. The tablet is for my Modeler while I have a LCD screen for Layout and online browsing.

Bernie2Strokes
11-08-2018, 06:32 PM
I guess I'd like to get TrueArt's Modelling Pack or 3rd Powers' plugins.

Norka
11-10-2018, 06:34 AM
3RDPwrs rocks! I use 3D Sticker, Meta Mesh and LW Brush a ton. Heat Shrink Plus doesn't get as much action, but it is must at $39. I don't have Paint Weights yet, or either deformer plug.

jwiede
11-10-2018, 05:03 PM
LWCAD for LW has more tools that are not required in the other applications (Splines or modeling tools like Rounder for example).

LWCAD for 3DSMax and C4D contains all the architecture tools. The LWCAD objects are parametric / non-destructive and work nicely with native tools and plugins, that takes it to a whole new level.

Personally, I strongly believe Viktor should raise the price on both the C4D and Max versions -- I think they're significantly underpriced for all they offer. Those markets aren't nearly as "cheap" as the LW market, and it's all new dev work he needs to amortize.

Marander
11-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Personally, I strongly believe Viktor should raise the price on both the C4D and Max versions -- I think they're significantly underpriced for all they offer. Those markets aren't nearly as "cheap" as the LW market, and it's all new dev work he needs to amortize.

Yes true, it's very affordable. I think that LWCAD is not well known by C4D or Max users. That's maybe due to lack of marketing and the not so ideal product name.

For me there are some reasons why I didn't upgrade to the 2018 version

- slow development pace (C4D R20 is still not supported as far as I know)
- the licensing - Viktor decided to have a very unusual licensing - not bound to the C4D serial as most other plugins but using an online activation / node locked system
- I don't do any archviz
- I wouldn't use the LW version anymore

Due to the licensing system I wouldn't pay more. If he would change it to common serial licensing, I would upgrade without hesitation. For archviz people however it's a real gem.

Norka
11-13-2018, 10:15 AM
CGPress.com has started their Black Friday/CyberMonday/Holiday Season sales list. The list is short to start, but will grow as more companies confirm sales: http://cgpress.org/archives/black-friday-cyber-monday-2018-cg-sales-2.html

erikals
11-13-2018, 02:23 PM
thanks  https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

Norka
11-15-2018, 04:05 PM
It is not advertised yet, but 3DCoat is going to have $100 off for Pro license, and $81 off Amateur to Pro Upgrade. I'm not sure what discount for buying Amateur license is though. I think maybe $20 off, if memory serves. Discount makes the Pro license $279 and the Amateur to Pro Upgrade $199. I'm loving 3DC these days, and it has all but replaced ZBrush for me.

Dan Ritchie
11-17-2018, 01:53 PM
We've switched Howler 2019 over to Black Friday prices as of today, http://squirreldome.com/Cart.htm

http://squirreldome.com/WhatsNew.htm

TheLexx
11-19-2018, 03:59 AM
Marvelous Designer is typically 30% off for Black Friday. Can't recommend it enough. Much better than syflex or bullet.Looks like a spectacular 51% off this time. :)
Marvelous Designer are having an extended sale (I believe until 18th February 2019).

Perpetual License
Regular price $490
Sale price $240 (51% off)

Annual Subscription
Regular price $300
Sale price $190 (37% off)

https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/pricing

:)

erikals
11-19-2018, 06:32 AM
dang   :king:

raymondtrace
11-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Looks like a spectacular 51% off this time...

Could that have been an accidental sneak peak from MD? I believe I saw this pricing a few hours ago but as I look at the site now, it is the regular price.

TheLexx
11-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Could that have been an accidental sneak peak from MD? I believe I saw this pricing a few hours ago but as I look at the site now, it is the regular price.Yes the prices have changed back again - I think they only did it to make me look very silly (and succeeded btw) :)

But also from the email which they sent out...

TheLexx
11-19-2018, 07:16 AM
Ah, they were just reformatting the text - Marvelous Designer sale definitely "back on" ....

gdkeast
11-20-2018, 05:27 PM
FWIW, it looks like 3D Coat will have a Black Friday discount, $100 off, 4 days, 11-23 to 26th.

hrgiger
11-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Looks like a spectacular 51% off this time. :)
Marvelous Designer are having an extended sale (I believe until 18th February 2019).

Perpetual License
Regular price $490
Sale price $240 (51% off)

Annual Subscription
Regular price $300
Sale price $190 (37% off)

https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/pricing

Cool. I still need to upgrade to MD 8.

mav3rick
11-21-2018, 02:33 AM
I've been using the latest version of the Real Flow plugin in LW 2018 and so far it seems to work.

how come? what version did you test as month ago i was not able to use mesh sequence in 2018 since it does not respect surface file

BeeVee
11-22-2018, 07:31 AM
My Black Friday wish is to try and avoid all the tempting offers and not spend because I have too many things already to keep up with :)

B

Norka
11-22-2018, 03:49 PM
CGChannel now has a Black Friday/Holiday Season list that has a bunch that are not listed on CGPress site...

http://www.cgchannel.com/2018/11/the-best-black-friday-and-winter-2018-deals-for-cg-artists/

Bernie2Strokes
11-22-2018, 07:33 PM
My Black Friday wish is to try and avoid all the tempting offers and not spend because I have too many things already to keep up with :)

B

Yeah, all these sales are very tempting but there's still next year's updates to consider. Has NewTek said anything about a 2019 version yet?

AnimeJoex
11-22-2018, 10:33 PM
That RealFlow 50% off sale is very tempting indeed!

RPSchmidt
11-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Got ma 3d Coat! Very happy!

Will have to wait a bit for other items, gifting got the better of me and spent too much on the holidays. Plus, still have yet to actually build my new computer. All of the pieces in their packaging are just sitting on the floor next to my computer desk.

Got a little too ambitious and decided I wanted a custom case, so I bought a 1939 Zenith 7S3637 floor model radio to refinish and use as my computer case. So far, that has taken a backseat to a long list of honey-do woodworking projects.

Hoping to knuckle down over the next two months and get it done!

erikals
11-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Got ma 3d Coat! Very happy!
Congrats! :king:  Great App!

also, Marvelous Designer at $240 is tempting, we'll see   :o
until 18th February

B

there's never too many things to keep up with...   :)