PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence wind on top of animation path wind, how??

Cyberfish_Fred
10-23-2018, 07:40 AM
I have an emitter, instances objects on every particle, I have a wind with an animation path....that works! :D

Because all objects are looking in the same direction I want to add another wind, like a turbulence.... :hey:

I tried it all but no results. :devil:

What's the way to go to do this? :)

By the way, I can give the instances a rotation to get this but I really need the particles to rotate here! :lol:

Thanks! :hey:

Freddy

Ztreem
10-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Wind will not affect rotation of particles. But there is an option in the emitter properties that maybe can help you.

Cyberfish_Fred
10-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Wind will not affect rotation of particles. But there is an option in the emitter properties that maybe can help you.

Yes yes, I thought you solved it, your rotation is working by the way but......

I have a 2nd emitter, parented to the first to get some trails but these objects don't see the rotations of the first emitter for some strange reason.
I have the trails but not with rotations as in the 1th emitter.

Any idea?

Freddy

prometheus
10-23-2018, 10:45 AM
As mentioned, additional winds will not really affect individual particles own rotation, a rotational wind will work to rotate the particle flow..Even if you use animation path, if you set your wind to heavy wind for instance..but I guess that is not what you want.
Why do you need the particles to rotate? if you use the instances alignment /particles..then you have some options to rotate towards a target item with look at.
Or use nodes.

Cyberfish_Fred
10-23-2018, 12:11 PM
As mentioned, additional winds will not really affect individual particles own rotation, a rotational wind will work to rotate the particle flow..Even if you use animation path, if you set your wind to heavy wind for instance..but I guess that is not what you want.
Why do you need the particles to rotate? if you use the instances alignment /particles..then you have some options to rotate towards a target item with look at.
Or use nodes.

I have a setup with 2 emitters, the 2nd emitter is parented to the first emitter, Nozzle also parent-emitter. In this way I can generate trails behind the particles from the first emitter. Then I use instances to replace the particles with objects. I also used the instances alignment to rotate the instances on the first emitter. But then, the trails do work but the rotations on the 2nd emitter not. So I thought this was because of the rotation on the instances, I thought I needed the rotations on the particles self to get the right rotations on the trails. But now I have tried the Random Rotation Scale in the emitter/ rotation settings but this is also not working.

So I don't know anymore what to do.

ps what I really want with this setup is to use these trails to simulate my own and better kind of Motion Blur ;-)

Freddy

MonroePoteet
10-23-2018, 07:58 PM
There seem to be two different goals here: first is to be able to apply another type of Wind to the Particles being moved by an Animation Path wind, which is possible. Second, for the "better kind of Motion Blur" it sounds like you want the Particles emitted by the Child emitter to inherit the orientation of their parent Particle at the time they're emitted, which I don't know how to do, at least in LW2015. LW2018 may provide more nodal support for that capability.

To apply another Wind to the Particles independent of the Animation Path, you can create an FX Group for the Parent emitter and have those particles affected by the Animation Path wind, and create a second FX Group for the Child Emitter and the second Wind. Sample scene attached. Here's the setup:

143178 ParentGroup with Parent Emitter and Animation Path wind

143179 ChildGroup with Child Emitter and Vortex type wind

143186 Gradients on Particle Age for Color and Luminosity, low Parent Motion

143180 143181
143182 143183

MOV: 143185

The general path of the ParentEmitter particles are controlled with the Animation Path wind (including motion and rotation on nodes to get swirls, etc.), and the oscillations of the particles within that context come from the Vortex wind.

RE: a "better kind of Motion Blur", what issues are you having with the native Motion Blur?

mTp

Cyberfish_Fred
10-24-2018, 03:05 AM
There seem to be two different goals here: first is to be able to apply another type of Wind to the Particles being moved by an Animation Path wind, which is possible. Second, for the "better kind of Motion Blur" it sounds like you want the Particles emitted by the Child emitter to inherit the orientation of their parent Particle at the time they're emitted, which I don't know how to do, at least in LW2015. LW2018 may provide more nodal support for that capability.

To apply another Wind to the Particles independent of the Animation Path, you can create an FX Group for the Parent emitter and have those particles affected by the Animation Path wind, and create a second FX Group for the Child Emitter and the second Wind. Sample scene attached. Here's the setup:

143178 ParentGroup with Parent Emitter and Animation Path wind

143179 ChildGroup with Child Emitter and Vortex type wind

143186 Gradients on Particle Age for Color and Luminosity, low Parent Motion

143180 143181
143182 143183

MOV: 143185

The general path of the ParentEmitter particles are controlled with the Animation Path wind (including motion and rotation on nodes to get swirls, etc.), and the oscillations of the particles within that context come from the Vortex wind.

RE: a "better kind of Motion Blur", what issues are you having with the native Motion Blur?

mTp

Thanks mTp, looking good but as you mentioned the particles emitted by the child emitter don't inherit the orientation of their parent.
But I really like your setup here!

About the MB, I want to render in Octane and MB s&*ks in Octane so I tried to simulate it some way. But I think saving the parent pfx
and cloning the needed objects, loading and shifting the pfx, bla bla bla will do the trick...I hope.

Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate the fast commenting and even scene files and screencaptures!

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

Freddy

MonroePoteet
10-24-2018, 07:54 AM
OK on rendering in Octane & its MB. It is unfortunate that the Particle Info node's Rotation output isn't the Particle's *currently calculated" rotation!

You may have seen this erikals post this morning:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143243-The-amazing-Houdini-reel-of-Spencer-Lueders-(-fluids-fire-and-smoke)&p=1557101&viewfull=1#post1557101

referring to an Object Sequence motion blur plugin that was posted yesterday here:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155473-OD-2018-Tool-Set-Released&p=1557095&viewfull=1#post1557095

Maybe it's feasible to render a sequence in Octane and import it into native LW for motion blur. Or, bang on the Octane developers for better motion blur!

Good luck!
mTp