PDA

View Full Version : X-ray is causing "flickering" lines

pekka varis
10-17-2018, 07:18 AM
Hello!

I am making a video with the X-ray effect on my models. See here my settings:

I have problems with the "flickering" rendering. See:
http://www.catchline.fi/toveri/shaky-lines.mp4

The lines are flickering. How can I make them to stay put? I have tried everything:

- thicker pixels in line settings.
- 300% resolution in render
- 200 minimum camera anti-aliasing

Please can you help me?

MonroePoteet
10-17-2018, 04:14 PM
I can't reproduce the flickering lines using the silhouette edges using settings similar (or identical) to the screen capture you posted. Looking at the video you posted frame-by-frame, it appears the "edges" are appearing or vanishing from one frame to the next. I'd guess the geometry of the "bottom slide rails" (or other places you see the phenomenon) has overlapping polygons, has been mistakenly duplicated, has 2-point polygons, or has other geometric issues that cause the calculation of whether an "edge" is there or not to change during the slow camera motion in the animation.

I'd recommend doing a merge points, reduce polys, delete 2-point polygons, etc. type of cleanup on the portions where you're having problems. I've attached a video of the silhouette edge behavior I get in LW2018 with clean geometry which (I think) is approximately the same scale of the geometry in your video based on the screen capture.

mTp

pekka varis
10-18-2018, 03:29 AM
Thanks Monroe!! I reduced polygons, and all the parts said that 100 - 300 polygons were removed. But as odd as it is this did not cured the issue:

http://www.catchline.fi/toveri/test-flicker2_000.mp4

Here is the packaged scene:
http://www.catchline.fi/toveri/Flicker_issue.zip

I am very thankful if you can help me on this!

pekka varis
10-19-2018, 08:11 AM
I render this some other way, there was so much small detail in the model ( tiny bevels ) that they caused the moire effect. Thank you for you help anyway Monroe!!

MonroePoteet
10-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Glad you got it working to your satisfaction. Yes, the "rails" had (have?) a huge amount of detail which is really not necessary at the distance they're being rendered and cause the "silhouette edge" detection to be noisy. They have some very strange geometry (IMO) as well - for example, try to select single polygons from the end results in MANY normals in a lot of directions which would mess up the edge detection.

I'd recommend making the Surface 0% Transparent so the "back" edges don't come and go through the physical rail. If you really want to see the back edges, use the Edges node editor to give them a different color, make them dashed, or use some other method to differentiate them from front edges.

If I had imported this model, I'd spend the time to simplify those rails substantially into clean geometry, determining what level of detail (if any!) is required for the animation. Because of the convoluted geometry, automated methods don't work very well, or at least the ones I tried. The simplest way (IMO) would be to collapse the rail(s) from the end, manually select the outline points *necessary* to provide an adequate level of detail, use "p" to create a single polygon from those points, divide it up in reasonable places (maybe even just use Julienne), and then Extrude back out to the desired length.

Again, glad you got it working to your satisfaction.

mTp

pekka varis
10-20-2018, 12:54 AM
Monroe, you are such an angel.