PDA

View Full Version : Daz Character models

grafxstudio
10-15-2018, 11:44 AM
I've been rendering my Daz Characters in Lightwave for a while now and now that I've got most of the suracing of the model done now I have to work on getting better renders of the eyes and hair. I've been following the few videos I can find on dealing with hair and eyes but I'm having trouble getting them to render correctly. I use four image maps for the eye in nodes. First is the color which I get from Daz. Then I have a moisture map which is two feathered circles of white the same size of the eyeball. I have a norm map and a bump map. When rendered the comes off looking flat. Not curved and the there is no clear coat (lack of a better phrase) over the top. On the hair I usually set the spec to 0% and transparency to 100%. I'm also having trouble with this rendering out correctly. Any ideas on what I need to change? Am I using the correct set up? I appreciate any ideas or help you could offer.

Ma3rk
10-15-2018, 05:52 PM
How are you bringing in the assets? That'll make a big difference to start with.

I've found that using FBX gets you most of the way there, but there are some issues that that require dissecting some objects & surfaces. For one thing, when imported into Layout I've found that although the png's are 24 and 32 bit and indicated in Image Editor as default, they're really getting set to sRGB. Don't know if that's a Lightwave thing or how the FBX is telling itr what to use, or what.

Make sure your CS is set to the sRGB but select all of your PNGs (excepet any 8 bit) and change those to Linear. Normal maps need to be linear too.

Good thread start as I've some other questions that I posted on the Daz forum and so far only crickets.

Oh, here are a couple things I've been working on that are purchased sets either for DAZ or Poser.

Ma3rk
10-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm gonna take some of that back. While using linear worked great on quite a few imports, I just ran into one that didn't want to play all that nice when doing that but looks quite nice switching back to default. Guess it depends on what the original artist did. Fortunately, that's a very quick fix using the Image Editor.

grafxstudio
10-17-2018, 09:56 AM
I've been using standard node on my hair 1st connect a image node to the color input and use the hair color I'm using or using the texture input. Change the specularity to 0. Then in transparency make that 100% with the image of the transparency or if using nodes add it to a clipping mask. I was thinking today of using the hair node but not sure of the settings to get anything else but blond. Any ideas? Any help on the settings?

Ma3rk
10-17-2018, 02:54 PM
I've been using standard node on my hair 1st connect a image node to the color input and use the hair color I'm using or using the texture input. Change the specularity to 0. Then in transparency make that 100% with the image of the transparency or if using nodes add it to a clipping mask. I was thinking today of using the hair node but not sure of the settings to get anything else but blond. Any ideas? Any help on the settings?

Which Daz hair object are you using? Perhaps I can take a peak a bit later.