PDA

View Full Version : Modeling an object to size

memering
10-10-2018, 06:04 AM
I'm Getting back into LightWave and need to know if there is a way to correct a measurement of an object created in modeler. If your box needs to be 10in and you created 9.5, how would you know and how would you fix it?
Bob M

- - - Updated - - -

In Modeler or layout, is there a way to group objects

prometheus
10-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Modify/transform/more/ Absolute size...
This will bring up a requester for you to change a size, but also give you information about the objects bounding size, just cancel the command if you just wanted to check the size.
and check values...to a lock state and enter only one axis length you are certain is correct in your desired measurement, and the rest of the objects axis values will follow it as constrained re-scaling.

prometheus
10-10-2018, 09:20 AM
And in Layout you can group by going to scene editor/ sets/save selection...make sure you have selected the items you want to group, shift click hold and click, or ctrl click and pick the items to select, save selection with proper name..then
when you go to scene editor sets again, you can select your set (group) from there.

Parenting several objects to a null is a workaround.
In modeler...not that I know of.

memering
10-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Thanks, this is great!

MonroePoteet
10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: verifying distance / dimensions, you can also select two points and use Detail=>Measure=>Measure Points, or use the Measure Tool and drag out a line to see the distance. If I'm modeling something to exact dimensions, I find it much easier to create it initially with correct dimensions using the Numeric panel rather than trying to fix it later, especially for objects with a lot of geometry / shapes, etc.. If you intend to do quite a bit of exact-dimension modeling, it would probably be worth investing in LWCAD.

RE: grouping "objects" in modeler, as far as I know the closest you can come is to use Layers (within a single Object file) rather than separate Objects (separate files), and use the F7 Layers panel to double-click each layer and parent it to a "master layer". Otherwise, separate Object files must be grouped in Layout as prometheus indicates.

mTp

BeeVee
10-11-2018, 04:52 PM
You can also use Modify > Axis Scale to conform items to a known size (I use it when I download models of stuff like TVs and want to make sure that a 46" screen actually is 46"...).

B